Header Wrap question....

Sloto200

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...
Donating Member
Registered
I want to wrap my headers to decrease the engine compartment temps and to ease my mind on the slightly melting issue i have on one of my plastics. I have an full Akro system on my bike and ever since i installed it i've noticed a huge difference in the amount of heat that comes out of the fairing while riding. I have some wrap but i've never installed it before. I've heard that you should soke it in water just before you use it. That way when it drys, it will shrink a bit and be even tighter than when you first wrapped it. Also what to use to secure it? I was thinking about using safety wire to hold it in place. Any thoughts out there?

I used worm style hose clamps. I didn't wet it first but I wrapped it so tight I don't think there would be much room for shrinkage. I said shrinkage.......heh heh heh

I got my wrap at auto zone. They had everything I needed. They had stainless steel ty-raps, Different size wraps and a siliconized spray to seal it all up. It worked great, another plus was a lot of the engine noise was shifted to the back of the bike. And it runs a lot cooler up front. I am running a 4 to 3 to 1 Arata titanium system and love it.
Like the SR-71 the titanium heat treats each time I run the bike.
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

i use hose clamps as well (im cheap). go ahead and soak em cause it makes it easier to work with. reduces the heat a lot.

I was told not to wrap after market full exhaust. Stories of exhaust cracking. So I never did it.

I wrapped up the 2 outside pipes closest to the plastics today... didnt have any luck finding metal tie wraps so i just bought safety wire and it worked fine. No pics as i didnt have time to mess around... had to get it back together and spend some time with the family and finish packing for the trip.

I always soak mine first so it's a little easier to work with. Most of the wraps come with the clamps but safety wire works fine. You can also do the hose clamp as well.

06busa - don't believe everything ya' hear... I've wrapped stock exhausts and aftermarket for years... never ever had any problems.

I bought a 2" by 50' roll and had about 5' left over, doing the header pipes and the "x" pipe.

Back