Tire wear report

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
OK,
   I have before and after pics of this tire.  The before picture is the top one.  It is at the shop and the tire has about 100 ft on it.  The bottom picture is tonight at ~1000 miles.  If you can't tell it in the picture the tire looks brand new minus the scrub in.  The strips are down to about 1/2".  I am not a big corner carving rail rider but these "sport touring" tires are awesome.  Let me know what you think.

Don

PS. I am going to take pictures every 500 miles or so.

tires.jpg

I know they will be my next set of tires. Plus the tread pattern looks so damn cool!
smile.gif

Have you had a chance to take them through rain yet?

No rain yet, the temp here today was 103F. The tread pattern looks like it would shed water well.

Don

try to get the pictures with the same angle and appearance (wet or dry)... Dry is better, it give the wear patch a better show.

also, chalk the edges in about 3 inches to show the chicken strips off better...
cool.gif

I tried the Continental force 'cause I had heard it had great mileage . At 3,000 miles they're bald and the grip sucks too . I may try these Avons next , keep us updated !
biggrin.gif

them Avon are good I heard...but I put 4500 mi on M1, and it still has more than half of the thread left...
sad.gif

thanks for the report keep us up dated. with how long it lasts:cool:

clean those rims....makes me sick to my stomach
I live on a dirt road.  Every week when I do chain maintenance the wheels get washed good with hot water, a cotton towel and dishwashing soap.  During they week, I drop by the car wash (a mile from the house) and rinse them off.  If I spent my time keeping the bike looking like it just came off the show room floor, when would I ride?

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153396818 -->

them Avon are good I heard...but I put 4500 mi on M1, and it still has more than half of the thread left...
sad.gif
What kind of tire are you talking about? Sounds good?

The Avon is sounding good too. I gotta get some here and stock pile them. Dam second rear stocker has 700 miles on it and it is showing big time. They ride good though.

Well, I hate to admit it but I'm just ready to peel off a AV46 which finally hit the wear bars in the center at 12,400miles. Yeah, I know, I don't twist the throttle hard enough. The sides look pretty ragged though!

Seriously, these are great sporttouring tires. I used Avons on my previous K12RS with good results too; outstanding mileage and good grip. Can't go wrong.

sad.gif
What kind of tire are you talking about? Sounds good?

The Avon is sounding good too. I gotta get some here and stock pile them. Dam second rear stocker has 700 miles on it and it is showing big time. They ride good though.
I believe that he is talking about the Metzeler M1 Sportec. If he has 1/2 tread left at 4500 miles he is in a very small club. I have 3500 miles on my M1 rear & have a new one to put on this Saturday. The Avons will get you much better milage.
biggrin.gif

I have the Avon AV60 I just put on I am looking more for sticky than tire wear. I like to carve corners and alwasy liked the predictability of the BT56 but I really needed a tire and no one had one in stock. So I ended up with the Avon I will let you know mileage on it but has anyone used one of these yet?

I live on a dirt road.  Every week when I do chain maintenance the wheels get washed good with hot water, a cotton towel and dishwashing soap.  During they week, I drop by the car wash (a mile from the house) and rinse them off.  If I spent my time keeping the bike looking like it just came off the show room floor, when would I ride?

Don
amen too that .ride the #### out of it .worry about the dirt in the winter !!

I ordered an M3 today. Supposedly has better life than the M1 while still working well. I got 3500 out of the original tire- heck it only lasted two months.

ices_rofl.gif
What is it with us Busa owners?...our bikes always gotta be so clean  
biggrin.gif
It's usually the same way as people are with their cars. They just look sooo much better when they're clean.

If you're the type of person who is meticulous about cleaning your car you'll be the same way about your bike. Take some WD-40 to the rims/frame/pipes/cans/etc. and a wet/dry rag to the plastics. Takes about 15 minutes and I'm off. Also, a good opp to eyeball tires and such while cleaning.

I don't mind all the dirty bikes out there...just makes mine look that much better.

Glad you like them. I'm on my second set. I ride rain and shine, no problems with traction. Of course I slow down near the speed limit when the roads are wet.

Back