Tire question

Kalel

Registered
Guys/Gals, will it cause any problems running a BT015 on the front, and a BT016 on the rear? I usually run the same tire on both wheels, but don't want to replace the front this time. Thanks for your response in advance.

Not really, but if you ride aggressively............
I run a Shinko on the rear, and a Diablo on the front and I ride aggressively.......but only in a straight line!
Seriously it won't matter unless as aussiekeeper said, you ride hard. Potentially one tire would reach its grip limits before the other, which could be bad. For average everyday type riding you will be fine.

Thanks guys. I am not a super aggressive twisty rider. Do any of my aggressive riding in a straight line, and mostly commute anyway. Any opinion on whether it would be best to stay with the BT015 as opposed to the BT016? Whichever will give the most mileage?

Not familiar, but I hear it's better to have a slightly softer compound up front :whistle:

Bike comes with 15's, need to see what the difference is in the 15 / 16.

Last edited:
Not an issue at all.
I swapped to a 190/55 16 at about 2,200 miles to go LSR racing. 4- 200 + mph runs.Did 3,000+ miles in 2 trips. One to LSR,One to WV, to ride the mountains.
I now have 6,600 and just changed both f/r to 16's.
I was totally impressed(SUPRISED???) by the 15 up front and had a lot of confidence in it.The 15's are not a bad tire but the 16 is a noticable step up.
[ My 02's original tires on the other hand...:poke: ]
That being said, I noticed a big improvement when changing just the rear to a 16. I am looking foward to the spring to ENJOY a full set. :beerchug:

WhAAAAAAAAAAt.?????

Guys/Gals, will it cause any problems running a BT015 on the front, and a BT016 on the rear? I usually run the same tire on both wheels, but don't want to replace the front this time. Thanks for your response in advance.

This is taken from a post by tufbusa :

I must be jinks? I'm so jealous of you guys that get 4-5 maybe even 6 thousand miles from a tire. I have yet to get 3K miles from a performance rear tire. I have had as little as 1600 miles and the rear is done. I toasted a soft pirelli slick in one track day (One and only soft I ever ran) and my annual tire allowance is becoming a bit stretched.

I'm going to a BTO16 front and BTO21 rear on my busa in the spring. I have a friend who runs that combination and has very good results. I was in his shop the other day and looked at his rear BTO21 and it looked like it was doing a very good job. And it's not like the bastid can't corner since he owns both track records in Washington! Bastid! The 16 keeps the front planted and the dual compound 21's dual compound rear gives pretty good rear grip with a harder compound center for improved mileage.

I ALWAYS replace both tires as a set. I never leave a used front with a new rear. I have found a new rear will over power the grip of a used front and cause the front to push and in some cases will give up grip all together. A hundred bucks for a new front is much less expensive than new plastic!

Any comments if I used a BT021 in the rear with the stock BT015 front as my rears are toasted? Don't really want to let go the front as it still has lots of thread.

Thanks guys. I am not a super aggressive twisty rider. Do any of my aggressive riding in a straight line, and mostly commute anyway. Any opinion on whether it would be best to stay with the BT015 as opposed to the BT016? Whichever will give the most mileage?

If you do mostly commuting...use the Bridgestone BT021 :beerchug:

Works fine for twisties too.

Any comments if I used a BT021 in the rear with the stock BT015 front as my rears are toasted? Don't really want to let go the front as it still has lots of thread.

15 is the stock tire and works well for all around riding. The 16 is better in the twisties and will last as long as a 15, because of the triple compound rear and the dual compound front.

BT021 is a harder compound tire and will last longer than either the 15 or the 16...sticks ok in the corners...just not as well as the other two.

15 is the stock tire and works well for all around riding. The 16 is better in the twisties and will last as long as a 15, because of the triple compound rear and the dual compound front.

BT021 is a harder compound tire and will last longer than either the 15 or the 16...sticks ok in the corners...just not as well as the other two.
only partially true.. the 021 will wear faster on the front than the 016... already proved that through 2 of them.. The 016 will outlast the 021 on the front and I think it is due a lousy compounding of the tire.. it slips around too much and wears itself out.. well at least on the Gen 1 bike (plus it handles awful IMO, never ever got comfortable on the 021 front)

I went with a Dunlop Qualifier on the front and had a blast... removed it and put the 016 and it was nearly as good, the Qualifiers are a better tire for me.. (but they are also a bit more $$)

Last edited:
only partially true.. the 021 will wear faster on the front than the 016... already proved that through 2 of them.. The 016 will outlast the 021 on the front and I think it is due a lousy compounding of the tire.. it slips around too much and wears itself out.. (plus it handles awful IMO, never ever got comfortable on the 021 front)

I went with a Dunlop Qualifier on the front and had a blast... removed it and put the 016 and it was nearly as good, the Qualifiers are a better tire for me.. (but they are also a bit more $$)

:deadhorse:

They had a batch of defective 021 fronts...they fixed that :banghead:

:deadhorse:

They had a batch of defective 021 fronts...they fixed that :banghead:
they "said" the fixed it.... no such luck... I got their new "fixed" tire... sucked as bad as the others...

How a company can make such good tires and then put out that 021 front? beats me but it is not a tire for the Busa...

here is one of the 2 I killed... this was at about 3800M

DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
they "said" the fixed it.... no such luck... I got their new "fixed" tire... sucked as bad as the others...

How a company can make such good tires and then put out that 021 front? beats me but it is not a tire for the Busa...

How many YEARS ago was that dood :rofl:

How many YEARS ago was that dood :rofl:
I was one of the guys in touch with BS America over this tire problem.. They sent me the "new and improved" compound tire and this "dood" was last season... I ran them at Eureka springs brand new and they sucked..

Got them home and the first one was toast in around 3000 miles while the rear was still doing fine..

When did you run the 021's?

I was one of the guys in touch with BS America over this tire problem.. They sent me the "new and improved" compound tire and this "dood" was last season... I ran them at Eureka springs brand new and they sucked..

Got them home and the first one was toast in around 3000 miles while the rear was still doing fine..

When did you run the 021's?

My last set AND the set that is on my bike now :whistle:

Back