tire pressure?

I hate these kind of threads...there is no one setting for ALL riders, tires,road conditions
sad.gif

Every rider should adjust his/her pressure for the type of riding for that day
wink.gif

(DaCol. @ May 21 2007,19:25)
(umairhashmi @ May 21 2007,19:17) So what kind of pressure should you have in the stock tires for solo rides? Right now i have 42psi in both but i do think its kinda high because so far i have close to 5k miles on my bike and still lots of thread left.Or maybe im just a ***** rider
Hummmmmmmmm, so you've got close to 5000 miles on your tires and you've got lots of tread left. So, why do you want to change. What do you want out of them, because I generally only get about 7,000 to 7,500 out of my front and 3,500 to 4,000 max out of my rear  
wink.gif
 (tire that is
laugh.gif
)
Well i personally am happy with them because yes those monster tires are expensive but at the same time i know that too high of a psi is not good because you have less of a contact patch when leaned over.So id want a happy medium.I see the stunt guys with very uninflated tires because its easy for them to balance the bike that way.

(BA BUSA @ May 21 2007,22:18) BETTER handling and stopping with LOWER pressure  
super.gif
+1, to a point. You wont get good handling out of tires at 0 PSI in them.

I think the point of diminishing returns hits around 34 PSI, and handling starts dropping off around 30, then drops off drastically at <28 or so.

That being said, I run my tires at 40 most of the time. if I know im gonna be riding solo and doing some agressive cornering, I'll drop them down to about 36.

Also, remember to check your tire pressure when COLD. Once you've ridden the bike for more than a mile or two, your pressure will read higher than it did when you started your ride. How much it will vary depends on what your pressure was at to start with and how hard you have been riding.

Back