Need help buying a tire

jayy

Registered
whats up... getting some tyres this weekend but Im not sure which set to go with... the specifed tyre is the pilot sport hpx pilot sport hpx
or do I go with the pilot power?

What are you riding on and how aggressive are you riding and are you comforatabe with the tire your on

+1

I was on their website last nite and noticed the pilot sports, said designed for hayabusa...

Go with the newer designed Powers, unless you can VERIFY the Sport HPX has been updated in some way with in the last year. HPXs are old news now. I hated them and replaced them before they were even worn down
sad.gif

hey wwjd I called michelin and they said they were designed for the bike and the pilot power is only w rated and are not stabe above 168mph...what didnt you llike about the hpxhpx

Pretty sure I'm buying Avon Viper Sport AV-59 & AV-60 this weekend or next week.

Go with the Pilot Power...HPX is more stable @ high speeds. Pilot Powers handle better
biggrin.gif

I'm curious about this too. I'll be needing a set before long and am interested in the HPX. There are quite a few of us who aren't out there going ricky racer all the time and need a tire that will wear well and handle appropriately. Does anyone have any useable feedback other than, "I hated them!"?

Sorry for the hijack Jayy:)

I've been on pilot powers for the last year, love'em.

I'm very aggressive in the corners.

So if you like to lean, go powers. If you like to go straight, go hpx.

I have 1000 miles on my first set of Powers. Love 'em. They stick like glue. Only had it up to 155 or so with them on....seemed plenty stable to me. 'course, 168 is fast enough for me anyway......

not sure about the sport hfx, but the powers are unbelievable! they stick well and heat up fast.

I've used a bunch of different tires that were not designed for the Hayabusa on tracks days and high speed runs with no problems. Many other's here have also. If you are not a canyon carver, track day rider or high speed freak, almost ANY tire will work perfectly for you.

In my opinion, the HPX rubber compound is too outdated now compared to the newer stickier and yet, longer wearing rubber they have developed from MotoGP experiences. I found the HPX fine at high speeds, and a little heavier, more rubber on them, but they were slow to warm up - slippery to me for the first 10 miles - which means I already got where I'm going before they heated up. So, that was no fun. I like the sticky feel of the Pirelli Diablos but, they wear fast.

I have not noticed any advantages to running tires designed for the Hayabusa - maybe a tad smoother above 170mph - but I don't see that speed often enough to warrent the purchase.

You will get TONS of advice from people on tires. I, personally, prefer stickier over long lasting becuase I want to BE ABLE to do everything very well, at any time. I don't want to feel restricted: "Oh, I can't rail around this corner because these tires wear better than they stick" That is just me.

So I recommend:
Bridgestone BT014, 15
Michelin Pilot Powers
Dunlop Qualifiers
Pirelli Diablos
Metzeler M3

Others here run Continental, Avon, Shinko and seem happy with them.

I'm also not a fan of running "race" tires on streets due to the need for harsher heat cycling and lack of pothole/surface protection. But many here run them just fine.

More fun reading info:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/

Back