rear tire?  special type

kkattan

Donating Member
Registered
Hi, so i call my dealer telling him i want to go with the metzler sportec m1 in 200mm. He says i need something like the Michelean Pilot Sport HPX . i said how about the michelean pilot sport with out HPX.. he said nope, he says Hayabusa need that extra reinforcement, and not to use regular sport tires

he says he can get them for me around $185 + installation.
and then said i should change the front also..
anyone else have input?

thanks..

I'm not sure in a 200, but I just put a set of stock size M1's on and they seem fine. The busa mechanic at the dealership has them on his and recomended them. More noise out of the front then the diablo cora's I took off and not as fast side to side in the twisties but my plan is to slowwwww down a little anyway.I still have little kids. If the Mich Powers had been available, that's what would be on my busa but Mich rep says BO'ed until mid to late Oct. I couldn't wait. I got the M1 set for $289 mounted and balanced. Doesn't matter much, they will be gone in 2500 anyway.

HPX's are rated for +185MPH, standard Pilots are up to 185. How fast do you regularly ride? That is the question. Many many people buy the so called "standard sport tires" for Busas and have no problems whatsoever. And for that matter Metzeler makes a Busa specific Sportec M1 so your dealer is a boob or at least not in the know.

HPX's are great tires (I assume that so are the new Pilot Powers), M1 "P spec" are great tires, but standard M1's, standard Diablo's, and standard Pilot Sports are just fine unless you plan on going 200 MPH every day.

Oh and don't bother with a 200, go with the standard 190 as the bike handles better that way. However, know that the standard BT56 in size 190 actually measures like 198 but who cares. They all measure a little different. Trust me, use a 190.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097182160 -->

Standard Sportec M-1 190's are fine.
I've got over 25,000 miles on them.
No problems at all. I work for a dealership& I
keep trying other tires & coming back to the Standard M-1.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1125"|1097188000 -->

If you are an agressive rider, you may want to check out the Bridgestone BT014. I am about to install my third set. These are the best street tires I have personally tried. I can lean so far down that the engine case is scuffed and the tires stick like glue. These are dual compound tires and have only been on the market for a short time. I've been getting about 5K miles out of them but then I ride them hard. Everyone I know who has tried them, love them. May be worth looking at?

I just put Metzler Sportec M-1's on Lilah. Front and Rear. Went with a 200 series rear, mostly because that is what they had on the shelf. I had allready settled on the 190, but all they had was the 200 so I said screw it, why not? $10 difference...

So far all I can say is the bike feels completely differen't than it did when I took it in. I will be check tire pressure when I get home. It's not bad, just different. OH and the Sportecs are noisy... Didn't think about it before but that new front makes a good amount of noise.

The handling is much different. It seems much more planted, with an excellent nuetral tip-in and no tendancy to stand up on it's own... Very different feel...

Hey Rev, does your front make a "whirring" sound on deceleration? At about 40 my M1 front does. Guys at the dealership rode it, re-checked eveything, all ok. Not a bad noise, just more noise then the diablo's, i guess. They said if it kept up after a few miles they would replace it. Solid as a rock...no vibration, just noisy....?

Hey Rev, does your front make a "whirring" sound on deceleration? At about 40 my M1 front does. Guys at the dealership rode it, re-checked eveything, all ok. Not a bad noise, just more noise then the diablo's, i guess. They said if it kept up after a few miles they would replace it. Solid as a rock...no vibration, just noisy....?
Yessir, There is a range of speeds for sure and it is an interesting Whirring noise. It varies with speed so I am assuming it's the shape of the tread and size of the voids, which are MUCH larger than the voids on the Bridgestones, thus a little more noise. Kinda like Mean Mudders on a big ass pick up truck... But not as annoying... Just interesting...

I don't think it's an issue but I will be checking my pressures this afternoon. I can say that the rear does grip better than it did with the BT-010 I had on...

Oh and yeah, zero vibration, or anything that would lead me to think there is something wrong...

hi, thanks for everyones input, this forum is awesome!!!!
:-)

one question still.. according to dealer.. he said make sure front and rear tire are the same... he said if i go to sportec in rear.. change the front to sportec to match..
my front tire is still okay, i told him...
he said okay, then get another battlexBT56, this way matches the front..
anyone agree?
thanks

"Hey Rev, does your front make a "whirring" sound on deceleration? At about 40 my M1 front does. Guys at the dealership rode it, re-checked eveything, all ok. Not a bad noise, just more noise then the diablo's, i guess. They said if it kept up after a few miles they would replace it. Solid as a rock...no vibration, just noisy....?"

I have the M1 Sportecs front and a 200 rear. I have the "whirring" sound when I am deaccelerating for a light around 40 mph. A friend on BMW running M1s has the same sound. Nothing is wrong...I have about 5,000 miles on them.

I am still learning technique but last Sunday with warm tires (10 miles plus) I had the bike over as far as it would go in a 180 degree positive camber uphill turn. It was solid like riding on rails. Since I had plenty of traction left over, I tried to go a little more with first some handlebar input but when it did not move I shifted my weight a little more and it still did not move--I do not understand why it did not go lower (did not try to force it) since I was not dragging anything yet (aftermarket pegs) but was real happy with the tires and they did not put me on the pavement. This was a first for me that I was able to do it. I am still dialing the Ohlins forks and rear shocks.

The M1s are so much better than the stock tires but I have not tried any others to compare.

I was running a BT56J Front with a BT010 rear and it worked just fine. I would NOT mix the Sport-Tec rear with a Bridgestone front though, I think that would lead to some really peculiar handling. Their profiles are just too different in my opinion. I ran the BT56J Front BT010 Rear (190) for about 3K miles or so and the bike felt great... More nimble, a little lighter on it's feet. This is real experiance out in the twisties bro and from what I felt today regarding the Metzler Sport Tec M-1's I would not consider mixing them, my bike feels completely different, and I would NOT ride a bike with a rear that provides beter traction thatn the front... I feel that could lead to trouble.

hi, thanks for everyones input,  this forum is awesome!!!!
:-)

one question still.. according to dealer.. he said make sure front and rear tire are the same... he said if i go to sportec in rear.. change the front to sportec to match..
my front tire is still okay, i told him...
he said okay, then get another battlexBT56, this way matches the front..
anyone agree?
thanks
The matched set is better but there is no reason to throw away a perfectly good front tire if it is not ready for it. I have the M1 (P) on the rear with the factory front still on. Will switch it out when the next M1 goes on. Love the tire get the (P) spec, it actually measures 197 which is virtually the same as the 200 non (P).
smile.gif

So there you go, yet another definitive answer
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Just so long as we are all in agreement...
laugh.gif

I'd still recommend sticking with the BT010 though as a match for the BT56J. Similar construction, similar profile, etc... But as you can see there may not be a definitive answer... Although from a price perspective I believe the BT010 is a fair bit cheaper.
wink.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back