Tire Durability Thread according to Skaz

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
I figgered id lay out my data on tires i have ran. Brian and I are having a "conversation" and i wanted to run through the tires that i have had and how long they lasted.

From the day i bought my bike till today. this is mainly highway use till I got to the pure's....and SoCal Hoons......

Also these are back tires. i dont really care about fronts as far as this goes. These are rounded also.

May 2009
Stock - 4000m

June 2009
Avon Storm - 6500m

August 2009
Shinko 005 - 3200m (Wrecked)

October 2009
Angel St - 11000m (last 1k miles was at full lean :))

March 2010
Pilot Pure - 3000m (So far) (been the hardest on these tires)

June 2010
Q2 - TBD

I do not get any where the mileage some are reporting
Have had 13 to 15 rear tires in 27,000 miles over a 10 year period
least i got was 300 due to a large piece of something cutting tire
other than that the least was 1600 and most around 2600 to 3000
no burnouts I do run it up in the 150 to MPH a good bit but also just regular riding
still no complaints I love the feel of torque

wow im guessing stock gen2 rear you have 4k miles out of?? thats about 1500 more than ive heard. im almost at 2500, and its getting thin, my bud wore his out right at 2k...

you went 11k on a set of angels???

wow im guessing stock gen2 rear you have 4k miles out of?? thats about 1500 more than ive heard. im almost at 2500, and its getting thin, my bud wore his out right at 2k...

you went 11k on a set of angels???

1st bike ever so yeah i was easy on the first tire, probably had 1in chicked strips too.

yeah went 11k on the angel. throught rain, shine, sleet, and snow.....and canyons

Bridgestone BT54 - 4000 miles Honda VFR
Bridgestone BT020 - 5100 miles honda VFR
Bridgestone BT021 - 2000 miles honda VFR sold the bike with these tyres still on.

Bridgestone BT015 - 3500 miles Hayabusa.
Michelin Road Pilot 2 - 2000 miles Hayabusa Still lots of wear on these tyres.

Good Thread Keven!

There is lots of valuable information available in Keven's original post. Same bike, same rider, different tires.

While this is basically a mileage thread, it's also a great indicator of the grip available. The more miles the less grip. There are no compromises. Any tire that gives more miles has less grip than it's competition. If you want grip, you give up mileage. If you want mileage you give up grip!

My personal preference is grip. I don't mind paying more $ per mile for the comfort and confidence in having grip at my fingertips should I need it. :beerchug:

Another variable for me is, using the same model of tire, I get more mileage in the fall when the temperature hovers around 40*F as opposed to the summer when the temperature is in the mid 70s.

cheers
ken

For me is for my rear tires:

Stock 7000

Pilot 2CT's 12000

Full Bore Soft/Soft 4500(Replacing next week though)

Good Thread Keven!

There is lots of valuable information available in Keven's original post. Same bike, same rider, different tires.

While this is basically a mileage thread, it's also a great indicator of the grip available. The more miles the less grip. There are no compromises. Any tire that gives more miles has less grip than it's competition. If you want grip, you give up mileage. If you want mileage you give up grip!

My personal preference is grip. I don't mind paying more $ per mile for the comfort and confidence in having grip at my fingertips should I need it. :beerchug:

That is about the most subdued and non committed response that you have ever given.
Where are the usual suspects in this caper thread?

i average 6000 on my shinko ravens....wich speaking of...need a new one

hmm,

09 Busa stock tires at 6600+ miles and I'm pretty sure they are going to last forever. :laugh:

When I do the 7500 mile service though I'm going to go with a different tire just because I've always wanted to put tires on a bike I own. I typically trade out bikes every couple of years and never get a chance to put new shoes on. :thumbsup:

I've never understood how people get the milage out of tires that they do either.
I'm meticulous with maintaining tire pressure (35-36 F.. 37-38 R for street), no burnouts ever, no wheelies, and the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires on the Busa was 5000 miles on Pilot Road 2s. And I wear fronts out close to the same rate as rears. I have never even close to got the "2 rears for 1 front" that everyone talks about.
Lot of you must have just glass smooth pavement.:confused:

I have 12K on my stock gen II's and theyre still going strong. Im gonna replace them for S's and G's come next season though

Back