Just thought I'd share my mileage report out of this tire

I tried the Pilot Road 2's about 3 years ago and have not ever looked back. For my riding style, which is 80% commuting and 20% play, they are the best tires for me. I have had them worn down on the sides so far there is no chicken strip, but yet they perform great for my 100 mile round trip commute to work each day.

Thanks for the thoughts and I am saving this in case the Pilot 2's are not available when it is time to change my tires out next time.

Thanks for the info, I just ordered a set of Ultra 2s for mine today. looking for a Different set for my extra wheels Qs or Mets .

I love my Storms. I've been running them since my bike had 16,000 miles. Now she has 71,000+ and still running the same brand. They are EXCELLENT in the wet, too.:thumbsup:
4645405529_3a658f3e3b_b.jpg

Yep Tufbusa, harder compounds for longer life will generally mean a less "sticky" tire... looking at my chicken strips you can see I definitely need to get a little more agressive:laugh::whistle:
so that is a very good point for anyone trying to decide...think about what you need the tire to do for you and your style of riding:beerchug:
With the way the economy is I just wanted to hopefully help somebody else get the most bang for the buck if they wanted to try this one out...
Thanks for the comments on the bike guys...wife says I love my bike more than her:laugh: but we all know that ain't true:poke::rofl:

Most who buy touring tires for their busa give little if any thought to how much less grip they have when braking over say a Dunlop Q2 or Bridgestone BTO16. With smooth application of the brake you can easily lift the rear tire with most performance tires such as listed above. You won't be doing that with your Avon Storms.

I actually tried a stoppie on Storms and just not enough grip. Locked the front every time. If I remember correctly, BA BUSA was on Avon Storms when he locked the front ending in a crash. He was down and out for an extended period of time.

I have an entirely different view when it comes to tires. I will never run a touring tire on the front simply because the front is the controling point of the bike. I want the confidence to know my front tire is firmly planted. I can tolerate the rear being squirley but the front is an entirely different story. If I have to stand the big heifer on her nose to avoid T-boning a soccer mom in a minivan, I want the confidence the front tire will perform. I have no desire to end up underneath the van.

Tires are CHEAP once you compare the cost of a crash and injury.

If you are in search of longer tire life, I'd suggest a performance tire on the front and touring tire on the rear. This is an acceptable set up for me. I actually intend to install a BTO16 front and BTO23 rear when the current 16's are done.

My point here is, you will extend your braking distance as well as increase your chances of tucking the front due to over braking with a touring tire.

Just my opinion on tires and possibly worthy of thought! :beerchug:

Very, very good info Tufbusa on the front tire needs bro...... I really had never thought about the need (especially in an emergency situation) or importance of the front sticking but you make a great point--- I had always heard that you shouldn't mix tires (brands) but I believe what you say based on the experiences you talk of... I will have to keep this in mind when I do buy another front.... I'm like you, I can handle the back getting squirrelly on me but I need the front to be as stable as possible, especially when in an emergency... even in the short 4 years that I have been buying high performance tires for our beasts, I have seen a LOT of great improvements in what is available.... :thumbsup:

Well just to muddy the water, I put on a set of Shinko 009 Ravens a while back because:
A. They supposedly give pretty good all round grip wet or dry and yet most people get 10,000+ miles out of them.
B. They are made by what was the old Yokohama company, so there's some knowledge there.
C. They are $175 to your door, you can argue all you want about the price of a crash, but value is still important and I have not seen any mention of the Shinkos giving ANYTHING up to another tire.

I was fairly impressed with the tires, but a few days ago I did a basic suspension setup based on an old thread by JINXTER and now I am blown away by what I can do on the bike.

This is a free country, you can spend your money however you like, but I for one am sold on the Shinko Ravens, that's all I intend to buy for my Busa and my other 3 bikes from now on. :thumbsup:

Nice looking scoot Chris!!! I love my Storm ST's, they were such a great improvement over the stock tires that I have stuck with them. However after reading Tuffbusa's write up it reminded me of the importance of good sticky tires which I have apparently forgotten. Is there a guide somewhere that gives you the friction coeffecient of the various rubber available to us? I know someone, somewhere must have done a comparison of tires. Thanks to you both for sharing, this bears more research before I mount a new set of tires at the end of this year.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Well just to muddy the water, I put on a set of Shinko 009 Ravens a while back because:
A. They supposedly give pretty good all round grip wet or dry and yet most people get 10,000+ miles out of them.

This is a free country, you can spend your money however you like, but I for one am sold on the Shinko Ravens, that's all I intend to buy for my Busa and my other 3 bikes from now on. :thumbsup:

I agree with you 100%! The freedom to make choices is why we all love this country.

However, keep in mind any tire capable of achieving 10K miles on a busa is definately giving up grip for the excess mileage. Makes no difference whether it's a shinko or a dunlop, there are no magical tires that has the grip of a Q2 and the mileage of an Avon Storm!

I agree with you 100%! The freedom to make choices is why we all love this country.

However, keep in mind any tire capable of achieving 10K miles on a busa is definately giving up grip for the excess mileage. Makes no difference whether it's a shinko or a dunlop, there are no magical tires that has the grip of a Q2 and the mileage of an Avon Storm!

I agree, you can't break the laws of physics. All tires shall succumb to the torque monster! :race:

After much deliberation I moved away from Bridgestones for the first time in my life and bought a set of Avon Storms 2. I am very impressed with them so far. Since having them installed on July 1st, I have put about 7,000 k on them and loving them. Last year, I went through 3 sets of tires, but I rode 40,000 k last seASON.

THANKS for all the comments guys----some great input and thoughts about alot of important variables to consider when buying the rubber for the TORQUE MONSTER (I like that Dehning !!)
I appreciate the props on my bike as well--- y'all all have a blessed day out there and be safe on the road---watch all the non-driving folks:whistle::laugh:

Back