Timing chain issues NEED HELP

FireMedic

Registered
2007 hayabusa 10k miles stock motor with Brock's alien head exhaust.
I brought bike to a well know drag bike builder because 2nd gear went out and I figured since motor was going to be split open i might as well upgrade it a little.

Simple street race setup: port/polish head, dual intake cams, valve job, shim springs and Rebuild tranny with undercut all gears. Direct port dry nitrous setup with air shifter.

So hears the problem:
I pick up bike last week and get it home 2 hours away and take it for a ride no more than 3 miles and not over 6k rpm. Bike dies and won't start. this has happened 3 times this week. 1st time changed stock cam chain tensioner, 2nd time changed stock tensioner, 3rd time put in manual tensioner (yesterday).
I go pick it up and builder says he rode around the block and has whacked the throttle over and over and it's working fine now. I even rode it around the block a few times low rpm riding around neighborhood.

I get home with bike again and unloaded it and take it for a ride less then three miles and it jumped timing again just like times before. This time I was in 3rd gear and as I downshifted into 2nd the bike jumped timing again.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be the cause. Builder took cover off and said cam chain looks to be in good shape.

Why did you shim the springs?? Are sure the springs are not binding at this point?

I'm not real sure to be honest. I am just starting to learn about internals and how everything works so forgive me. The builder put shims on the spring and had 25,000 milled off the head with a thinner than stock head gasket. From my understanding this is done to increase compression. Bikes compression is 13:1 now. The head was also tapped with a dry nitrous direct port setup with 4 shower heads.

The guy who did the work is picking the bike up on Sunday and is bringing it back to his shop to pull motor and put in a new cam chain. So as of now it's had 2 stock cam chain tensioners, and a manual tensioner. -this week-

Do you think a new cam chain will solve problem? The builder thats the only other thing that could be causing it to jump timing.

I'm not sure but I would think/hope they are degreed properly. I had a reputable builder do the work. He has built a few grudge bikes for friends. I've brought the bike back 4 times in a 2 week period and its jumped timing toward intake side each time. He put adjustable cam sprockets and degreed it to where bike starts right up. hopefully I'm making some sense as my knowledge of internals is weak.
After 2 stock CCT he put in a manual tensioner and the bike did it again. Brought bike back to him and I was told that it has to be cam chain. "Only other thing it could be" is what mechanic said.
What else could be causing this other then cam chain.
Not degreed proplery?
Adjustable cam sprocket bolts?

Back