New timing chain, seems tight

turbobusa2000

Registered
Just rebuilding my motor, I installed the new timing chain, installed the cams. The chain seems very taught. I installed the stock tensioner and it was totally backed off but it still pushed the chain guide that contacts the tensioner about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The motor rotates freely, nothings grabbing. The chain is not kinked anywhere. I'm just concerned that it's to tight. My guess is that it will probably stretch and expand quite a bit after heating up and driving. It is a stock replacement chain, also the sprockets are adjustable, that shouldn't matter though, just thought I should mention it.

Has anyone replaced theirs before? Maybe this is common, I'm not sure? I'm considering just taking it back out and putting the used one back in. Any help would great.

How difficult was it for you to slip the chain over the cam sprockets, especially the second one? I've seen it before where the chain has slipped a tooth on the crank sprocket.

I just installed a new chain in April; all seemed fine...

It was pretty tight, I would say it was fairly difficult. The chain that I bought from schintz was a 136 pin chain, same as stock. I do have a .08" spacer to lower compression, but I don't think that should have made a difference. Were you able to get your second cam in fairly easy or was it hard going in.

Maybe my perception of tight not really tight. Maybe it's normal. I'm not sure. I do know that the tensioner is putting a fair amount of pressure on the guide. Do you know if it is possible to remove the chain without taking the cylinder head off? Maybe I can get the chain out and compare it to the old one.

I will first double check the chain and look for the obvious.

It was pretty tight, I would say it was fairly difficult. The chain that I bought from schintz was a 136 pin chain, same as stock. I do have a .08" spacer to lower compression, but I don't think that should have made a difference. Were you able to get your second cam in fairly easy or was it hard going in.

Maybe my perception of tight not really tight. Maybe it's normal. I'm not sure. I do know that the tensioner is putting a fair amount of pressure on the guide. Do you know if it is possible to remove the chain without taking the cylinder head off? Maybe I can get the chain out and compare it to the old one.

I will first double check the chain and look for the obvious.

I was able to get the second cam in easily; plenty of slack in the chain. The plate could be adding a little to the 'tightness'. I would check that the chain is properly installed around the crank sprocket. If a link or two is 'hanging' loose down there, it will stay that way because of the cam chain guides. Just use your fingers to feel if it's on there correctly...

I was able to get the second cam in easily; plenty of slack in the chain.  The plate could be adding a little to the 'tightness'.   I would check that the chain is properly installed around the crank sprocket.  If a link or two is 'hanging' loose down there, it will stay that way because of the cam chain guides.  Just use your fingers to feel if it's on there correctly...
I'll have to check that. Seems strange that it's so tight. I've heard that the spacer adds tightness, but I didn't think it would this tight. Thanks for the help fellas, I'll have to check everything again.
thumb_up.gif

did you use a spacer plate?
To lower compression, yes
some guys have used a spacer gasket on them to allow for correct adjustment if using manual tensioner,hence why i asked.
I was also told that. I'm using the stock tensioner, maybe I should go to a manual. I just don't like the idea of my chain stretching over time and forgeting to adjust the tensioner.

What's your opinion on the stock cam chain tensioner. That is what I'm currently running. I've never had any problems with it, is it worth while to go to a manual. I have installed a high volume oil pump gear, will this cause excess pressure on the guide at high rpms?

The bigger reason I'm considering the manual is because from the photos I've seen on sites that sell the manual tensioner like ape, it looks like it can be backed off more than the stock unit. Which would of course help me out with my tight chain problem. Of course I will address why the chain is to tight before I decide to buy it.

Back