measuring chain tension.

shogun

Registered
ok plain and simple. i just instaled a new chain it feels like the tension is just right. i know its supposed to be .8 to 1.2 inches of ply but is there a way to percisely measure the play with a ruler or something, and if so how would i do that? thanks for any input.

you can put a ruler on the ground and move the chain up and down and see if it falls into the .8 to 1.2 you mention......if you want.

page 2-21 of the downloaded manual covers this in good detail..

New change........ Close is good..... Expect to do it again in couple hundred miles... you can be more percise then. Well stretch quite a lot at first.

so when measuring am i looking at the bottom of the chain or the top of the chain to travel .8 to 1.2 in? i mean like the bottom of the sideplate or the top. thanks again.

In the middle of the chain between the front and rear sprockets on the section of chain closest to the ground :thumbsup:

great answer thanks man. basically im moving the chain UP,, and when i do so it should only go up fairly easily about 1in right. thanks

Make sure along with everything else that you move the bike a little a check it in a couple different places.

I don't get all that serious about it, and have gotten close to 20K out of my chains and sprockets.

Hey guys. I put my bike up today on the rear stan and watched it rotate. the tension is seems to be right but it when its quickly rotating it seems a little bit sloppy. it likes to dance up and down, is suppose to be like this? its a bran new chain.

Without your body weight on it its gonna be alittle loose, thats why you should set it with you on it . but like Do3 said , i myself dont get to serious about it neither, i set mine without body weight at about 1 " of play, never had any problems :beerchug:

The manual says it should be on the side stand for adjustment.
The slack should be measured right in the center of the chain. (center between the front and rear sprockets).
Pick any point on the chain (bottom of a side plate, top of a side plate or one of the pins).
That point when moved up and down (as much as you can) should only have between .8 and 1.2 inches of movement.

1. With bike on side stand, and in first, stand on right side of bike.
2. Apply front brake with right hand.
3. Grasp hump or passenger grab bar and lift bike off side stand.
4. Lean forward while resting stomach and your body weight on seat and with your left hand reach down and check chain tension while suspension is loaded.
5. Stand up keeping hand on brake lever and lower bike back to side stand.

cheers
ken

Back