Time to dump the factory cans

pasthegray

Registered
Have about 2k on my 09 (bought new this winter). Been a cruiser rider for the last 25 years and do not miss them at all, just mad at myself for not buying this bike sooner.

Anyway I want to get rid of stock cans, like the look/sound of the new M4 carbines for about 900 for a full 421 system M4 FULL SYSTEM STANDARD EXHAUST - CARBON SINGLE CAN | MotoSport. Guess I should do the PC at the same time and do a tuning/dyno..... question is what if anything should I do at this time (not sure if I need to mod the airbox?) Just do not want to regret not putting the right parts on b/4 I tune and dyno. Lastly what should the shop cost be to install tune dyno...just a rough estimate so I can budget.

Thanks

Have about 2k on my 09 (bought new this winter). Been a cruiser rider for the last 25 years and do not miss them at all, just mad at myself for not buying this bike sooner.

Anyway I want to get rid of stock cans, like the look/sound of the new M4 carbines for about 900 for a full 421 system M4 FULL SYSTEM STANDARD EXHAUST - CARBON SINGLE CAN | MotoSport. Guess I should do the PC at the same time and do a tuning/dyno..... question is what if anything should I do at this time (not sure if I need to mod the airbox?) Just do not want to regret not putting the right parts on b/4 I tune and dyno. Lastly what should the shop cost be to install tune dyno...just a rough estimate so I can budget.

Thanks

There is no gen2 airbox mod. You can replace the air filter with a reusable one, but you will get mixed opinions on whether or not you'll lose or gain 1 to 2 hp with it. Myself and alot of others just like to be able to clean and reuse the filter(BMC, BMC race, K&N, ect.)
Nothing wrong with a power commander, but they can only adjust fuel, and some will adjust ignition(if needed). They can also only control 4 injectors, and the Busa has 8.
The Ecu Editor is a much better choice if there is someone who tunes with it near you, and it's only $208.
Even without being on a dyno you can plug the ecu editor into your bike and computer. You can turn off 1st through 4th gear restrictions and top speed limiter, turn fans on at lower temps, turn off pair valve, adjust secondary throttle plates, it really does everything. Check it out, boostbysmith.com - Home
Dyno tune prices vary by shop and location(there's also a national list of ecu editor tuners, also reffered to as "flashing")
Ballpark, $300 to $500 for a near stock bike with aftermarket exhaust and filter.
Also ask about a tuners reputation first, just because someone has a dyno doesn't mean that they're a good tuner.:beerchug:

Their dyno sheets show about a 7 HP gain. I could not find if the system has an O2 sensor well, but found this : Q: Do I need to re-jet or re-map?

A: It is not absolutely necessary to re-jet or re-map after installing a new M4 system. Your bike will run fine if you don't. In most cases, however, the ride and performance will be enhanced with optimal jetting and mapping.

I would contact them because if there is no well you'll have to do something with that O2 sensor.

Back