Time for a new hard drive?

TheAtomicAss

Registered
I was downloading a massive torrent off the internet lately, and one of the files ended up with a CRC error. And not the normal kind, either. When I double-clicked the file in explorer, WINDOZE pops up a box informing me of the "Cyclic Redundancy Error", and it would it not let me open or lock the file. It did allow me to delete it, however.

Now when Windoze tells me somethings wrong, I tend to listen, because when it thinks there's a problem, it's usually huge by the time it tells you.

This system runs 24/7 and has only been down maybe 2 weeks over the last 4 years, all with the same HD.

So, should I,

A. Keep running and splurge on a new hard drive when I can afford it,
B. Shut the system down NOW, until I can afford a new HD, or
C. Move all the files elsewhere while I can and prepare the 21-MIDI salute?

From a Command Prompt, run: chkdsk C: /R

You will likely receive a message asking if you want it checked the next time Windows restarts. Choose Yes and reboot it.

The file you dowloaded is likely toast, but chkdsk can fix many of the disk errors.

Try that first before you invest in another HD (eventhough they are getting really cheap!)

Bad file transfer. Thats what CRC's were intended for.

Issue:
Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC error.

Cause:
This error message could be generated by any of the below reasons.

During the transmission of the file it became corrupt or bad
The file was sent inappropriately
The device being opened from is bad or contains errors
The file itself is bad or the program attempting to open the file is bad.

(cosmo @ Jul. 28 2007,22:00) Bad file transfer. Thats what CRC's were intended for.

Issue:
Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC error.

Cause:
This error message could be generated by any of the below reasons.

During the transmission of the file it became corrupt or bad
The file was sent inappropriately
The device being opened from is bad or contains errors
The file itself is bad or the program attempting to open the file is bad.
Wouldn't have been the download, because Windoze shouldn't know the difference whether the file is good or not. (Video file, BTW).

But the dialog box I got was from Explorer. That's what's got me worried. Windoze locked the file from read/write and only allowed deleting.

(omslaw @ Jul. 28 2007,21:38) From a Command Prompt, run: chkdsk C: /R

You will likely receive a message asking if you want it checked the next time Windows restarts. Choose Yes and reboot it.

The file you dowloaded is likely toast, but chkdsk can fix many of the disk errors.

Try that first before you invest in another HD (eventhough they are getting really cheap!)
Already did that, but got no error messages. Does chkdsk log it's errors by default still?

If chkdsk didn't return any errors, then it's likely a bad file/download - like cosmo suggested.

I would try downloading the file again.

Wouldn't have been the download, because Windoze shouldn't know the difference whether the file is good or not.  (Video file, BTW).[/Quote]
rock.gif

But the dialog box I got was from Explorer.  That's what's got me worried.  Windoze locked the file from read/write and only allowed deleting. [/Quote]
Because the zero's and one's don't add up to the correct CRC sum
wink.gif

if error continues cut any loses and just reformat it..... thats my solution for everything
beerchug.gif

(smonroe86 @ Jul. 29 2007,01:16) if error continues cut any loses and just reformat it..... thats my solution for everything
beerchug.gif
And a good solution it is for Windoze.

Mac's and Linux you can limp along making little band-aid's, but Windoze? Nope, format and start over fresh.

That's about the only thing I like about it anymore.
jump9.gif

(cosmo @ Jul. 29 2007,00:38) Wouldn't have been the download, because Windoze shouldn't know the difference whether the file is good or not. (Video file, BTW).
rock.gif

But the dialog box I got was from Explorer. That's what's got me worried. Windoze locked the file from read/write and only allowed deleting. [/Quote]
Because the zero's and one's don't add up to the correct CRC sum
wink.gif
.[/Quote]
I don't think we're on the same page here...

What I meant in my last post was that with the exception of application files, Windoze itself can't tell whether a file is corrupt or not.

But in this case, I had an Explorer dialog telling me about a CRC error, and read/write access to the file was disabled. It also locked the file out of the program that had actually downloaded it.

(TheAtomicAss @ Jul. 29 2007,01:03)
(smonroe86 @ Jul. 29 2007,01:16) if error continues cut any loses and just reformat it.....  thats my solution for everything  
beerchug.gif
And a good solution it is for Windoze.

Mac's and Linux you can limp along making little band-aid's, but Windoze?   Nope, format and start over fresh.

That's about the only thing I like about it anymore.  
jump9.gif
if you ask me i dont think there is something ever wrong with windows it just feels like a 40 year old(i mean young) woman crying out
SHOCKED.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
but if you reformat everything is perfect

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

Back