TiForce SS 4-2-1 on my 2007. Is this thing junk or what!?

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
So last summer I picked up a new TiForce stainless 4-2-1 setup locally on clearance. My goal was primarily to gain some power and as a distant second get a bit more growl. I haven't gotten to back to the Dyno to see if I've improved on my 152 hp, but I can tell you that what I got for sure is a quieter than stock exhaust, a new hole burned in my right faring due to the poor fit, and the wonderful smell of burning plastic whenever I ride for more than a few miles. Does anyone else have any experience with this kit? Was mine made on a Friday or something or are they just generally crap? Assuming the PC5 has a decent map, anyone have any real world numbers on what they gained (or lost) on a similar setup?

Thanks!
Gonz

Ti-force makes quality stuff.
Does your muffler still have the baffle in? May be why you think it's so quiet.
Can you turn the midpipe any to get the pipe away from the plastic?

tiforce makes one of the best performing exhausts out there, that being said I thought the ss systems were the street system, meaning smaller diameter than the ti system. theres no way its quieter than stock and the fit issue sounds like either an install issue or being it was a clearance system a mis ship I.e. wrong system

:thumbsup:

The biggest issues with exhaust and plastic is install procedure.. The proper way to do the system install alot of folks don't know. The instructions should for cost of some pipes but some do, some don't.. The proper way is to fully install the system loosely till done. Then start at muffler and work your way back to the front. Pull two outside headers in and bolt tight first then adjust center to and tighten. test fit plastic and if nothing is touching or close, call it good. if anything close try to adjust and get heat tape...I then wipe down exhaust, crank bike let it warm up and touch plastic where i think heat might concentrate at..

I hate to say it but it sounds like an installation issue. Best of luck.

I'll take the blame if it's an install issue since I'm the one that put it in. :whistle: I can say that when I put it on 'loose' there didn't seem to be much wiggle room. I had it on an off a few times to try to get it as far away from the plastic as possible, but in the end I had to add spacers to the plastics and also use heat wrap. I can still smell it though so I know it's touching someplace. Perhaps this weekend if time permits I'll rip it all apart again and see if I can get any more clearance.

#1busa
Yeah maybe they sent you the wrong 1 for a Gen 2 or something

I'd considered that, but would a Gen 2 kit even fit a Gen 1? One of the reasons I thought about this was I had to remove the little air dam from underneath by the kickstand. Didn't see any way I could keep it which seemed strange. Is there some kind of code I can find on the thing that would say which gen it's for?

m_ridgeway

tiforce makes one of the best performing exhausts out there, that being said I thought the ss systems were the street system, meaning smaller diameter than the ti system.

Sorry, SS = Stainless Steel :)

sixpack577

Ti-force makes quality stuff.
Does your muffler still have the baffle in? May be why you think it's so quiet.
Can you turn the midpipe any to get the pipe away from the plastic?

Is there some way to remove it? I don't see a way to pull the can apart without grinding off the rivets. Would be great if I was missing something and it was really that easy.

Thanks for all the replies guys,
G

After seeing the picture, there is no baffle in the muffler.
You possibly could have a gen2 pipe as mentioned above too, but I cannot say for sure.
If you do it could cause your problem. Alot of exhausts will swap between gen1 and 2, but the oil pans are different.
This causes clearance issues, and I can see your midpipe against the lower fairing.
Good luck with it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding op, I meant ss= stainless steel, not street system, I was saying I thought the stainless systems were the street systems, I.e. smaller diameter tubing should be easier to fit. Who did you get the system from. Any instructions, like golden child said may loosen it all back up make sure all the slip joints are sliding together fully and your mount is installed properly. Hope you get something figured out.

I don't have them in front of me, but I believe these are from the same instructions I got (about three pages printed):

Instructions

(2001 and after: In order to prevent contacting the exhaust pipe and fearing, put enclosed 10mm spacer between the fearing and the bracket located bottom on the front inside the fearing (both left and right) and between the right frame bottom and the fearing: one each)

Install the supplied section of adhesive heat shielding to the inside of the fairing lower where
the exhaust comes close to the fairing. FAILURE TO INSTALL THIS HEAT SHEILD MAY
CAUSE THE FAIRING TO MELT OR BURN.

Seemed kind of half-a$$ed at the time, but thought it was just how they rolled. Oh well. Will wrench on it this weekend and see what can be done. At least the muffler wrap is keeping the hole from getting larger for now. As for the exhaust note, I'll have to try to get something on YouTube and post it. I looked for a while and can't find anyone with the same setup.

More to come...
G

That pipe is in contact with the belly from the pix. Best of luck, and call them if you can't get it straight. I know you're frustrated.

Update: I losened up the header bolts and there's really not much room to adjust. The collector on the right side is almost touching the oil pan so I really can't move it away from the faring any more. I did add some more washers to the included spacer, but it's still all but resting on the faring. The exhaust wrap is more or less keeping the hole from getting any bigger, but still not overly excited about the product. I sent an email to the company voicing my dissatasfaction. I'd have called, but the number they have is in Japan and really don't want to think about what the long distance charge would be for being on hold with their call handling system. Not really expecting anything useful from them, but I guess we'll see. Thanks to everyone for all the input. Good to hear you're all having better luck with your TiForce systems than I am.

Gonz

I am actually quite surprised you had a bad experience with Tiforce. I have a 4 x 2 full system i picked up from a member here and the product is top notch quality and performance. Even before i bumped into a used system i got intouch with them in japan for a new system and they were quite responsive then also. Giving them a call should not hurt i think.

Back