Ticking noise!

bpayton

Registered
Good afternoon forum. I really hope someone has experienced this so that they may provide guidance. Recently upgraded front rotors, brakes, and brake lines, all Galfer. While riding I here a ticking noise but when I engage the front brakes the ticking noise goes away. Sisually, I have inspected for anything loose that could be loose but have not found anything. I guess the next step would be to remove brakes again unless someone can give me another possible solution.:please:

spin your front wheel and make sure the rotors dont wobble at all, also wiggle the rotor and see if they click, mine started having movement forward and back and clicking at low speeds

humm thats a tuff one without being there and listening to it, i know you said you have done this allready but i would do it again, just go back thru everything you did and re-inspect your work.

Could just be the pads themselves. My ebc pads hissed for a while when new.
Ticking when free, gone when on the brakes.

Thanks for the input. I didn't ride into work today and tomorrow is an off day so I will get her back on the front stand and try some of the above suggestions. I don't think the galfer pads are ceramic but I will verify. Also I still have not ridden 100 miles on them so i was wondering if it had something to do with the brake in period.

Blanca thats what is killing me, I only here it when I'm rolling, as soon as I put any pressure on the brake lever it stops. The upside is the bike still stops with no problems.:thumbsup:

Did you clean the rotors before you put on new pads?
If not use a scotch Brite pad and scrub rotors for a minute or two.
Also what break in procedure are you using on the new pads?

Mine hissed/buzzed when off and went away went on the brakes. Eventually it went away.

Blanca, I didn't get a chance to take a look at it this weekend but I did not clean the new rotors before I put them on. Just for clarification I changed rotors and brake pads. Brake in procedures, I've been driving back and forth to work, less than 10 miles one way and I haven't had the bike above 70mph.

I wanted to follow up just in case someone runs into this issue in the future. So I found that one of the brake pads was the culprit of the ticking noise. It was not flush against the rotor so it had enough room to shift back and forth causing the noise. I remove the caliper, cleaned them again and reinstalled the caliper. Before tightening everything down I fully pressurized the system and now the noise is gone.

Back