Throttle Advance Isn't

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
Back in November my throttle advance lever seemed to not actually advance the RPMs. When I manipulated the lever, I could see it move above the throttle, but the plate didn't touch the throttle plate. So I adjusted the nut however it didn't move the plate any further and it actually closed the lever.

I can't see where it might have gotten out of adjustment and I suspect a pad might be missing but I don't know for sure. It all seems to move smoothly.

Ideas? Something I should look at? I checked the service manual and it looks about right but it's not clear.

Thanks.

Carl

Uh - this is a dumb question I am sure, but are you talking about the fast idle lever, the idle adjustment screw or the throttle pulley?

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 14 2007,20:48) Uh - this is a dumb question I am sure, but are you talking about the fast idle lever, the idle adjustment screw or the throttle pulley?
Fast idle lever on the left clip-on.

Carl

Just out of curiosity, when did you mount your helibars? Also, if you turn your bars to the right or left does it have any effect on RPM?

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 14 2007,21:20) Just out of curiosity, when did you mount your helibars? Also, if you turn your bars to the right or left does it have any effect on RPM?
They came with the bike when I bought it in 2004. I've put 52k on it since then
smile.gif

I'll snap a pic tomorrow when I break it down for cleaning.

Carl

Ok, here are the pics:

Dscn8233.jpg

Dscn8234.jpg

I can see a tiny bit of an adjusting screw behind the cable but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of play there. But it may not take much. It just seems odd to have it go apparently all of a sudden like.

Carl

Cable is probably stretched... mine is an 05 and it only has about 7000 miles and one day i went to use the fast idle and it didnt work. I tried to adjust it with the adjustments for the cable under the left grip and it didnt work. I lifted the tank and saw that with my slack adjusted out all the way it still wasnt moving the idle at all. You see that screw painted yellow with the spring on it. I had to adjust mine out some to allow for more movement and that solved my problem. That was last summer and i have had no problems since... Hope my explanation helps!
beerchug.gif

I appreciate the answer but it doesn't appear to be the cable. If you look at the first picture, you can see the plate is touching the end of the screw. I adjusted the cable to the point where it pulled the lever almost back to the starting position (the second picture). It looks like the cable is pulling fine and all, just that the plate isn't rotating enough to push the black peg in the throttle.

It's almost as if the throttle plate is adjusted too far so the fast idle doesn't touch the black peg.

Thanks.

Fire the bike and let it warm to the point of a steady idle.

Lift the tank and move the actuator and see what the responses are at what position. After that make adjustments accordingly.

You have a simple problem that you are likely going to kick yourself for once you find it.

I had the same problem...i adjusted the cable and it didnt help at all... i had to adjust that screw with the yellow paint on it so it would allow that plate that moves the throttle linkage to touch... thats how far off mine had gotten... i've got a full day ahead of me but if i can, i will take a pic and see if mine looks any different than yours...

(Revvv @ Mar. 18 2007,23:27) Fire the bike and let it warm to the point of a steady idle.

Lift the tank and move the actuator and see what the responses are at what position. After that make adjustments accordingly.

You have a simple problem that you are likely going to kick yourself for once you find it.
I'm sure you're correct. Until I've done something or seen it done, I'm a bit cautious about the work I'm doing. It's a pain to be standing there looking at the broken part in my hand and figuring out that if I'd squeezed instead of pulled, it would have come out without a problem
smile.gif

Thanks for the pointers all. I'll check out the adjustments again.

Carl

Back