clutch slipping

Nick Kickass

Registered
Hello I have a 2000 busa with a turbo making 230 hp.

The clutch has started to slip. From mid-rangish rpms I move throttle to 100% at which point the bike speeds up slowly and the engine revs very quickly to about 9-10k rpm. Then it starts to catch, and eventually "catches", bringing the rpms down to the corresponding bike speed and the bike starts accelerating hard as it should.

What is likely the issue? Is it probable that the fiber plates are worn and need replacement, or that both the fiber and steel plates need replacement?

Is it a difficult job that requires special tools?

Best of luck with it. PM professor or GIXERHP. I will assume that the bike has three heavy springs in the clutch to help with all the power, and you might want to inspect the clutch slave cover near the front sprocket. Sometimes these crack when the clutch springs get upgraded. Just out of curiousity, have you changed the type of oil you use lately ? Certain oils can cause clutch issues.

last oil change was done by a shop that specializes in turbo busas because they inspected it and fixed a few problems. I think it is very unlikely that they used the wrong kind of oil.

No it doesn't have a lockup clutch. It supposedly has stronger clutch springs.

Like Lankey said you need to pull it and measure and inspect it. However if this started after that oil change you might give it a second thought, but I understand what you're saying.

Back