Thoughts on this swing arm extensions

TheGza

Registered
Hear me out, I'm definitely not someone who likes to do stuff half ass. With that being said I've been considering an extended swingarm two to four inch extension but I'm really concerned I will not like the rideability of the bike in the turns. Thoughts about trying some extensions before purchasing an expensive swingarm?

Hear me out, I'm definitely not someone who likes to do stuff half ass. With that being said I've been considering an extended swingarm two to four inch extension but I'm really concerned I will not like the rideability of the bike in the turns. Thoughts about trying some extensions before purchasing an expensive swingarm?
What is the reason/purpose of changing the wheelbase on your bike??
It’s going to change the handling in the turns significantly.
Why not just leave it as the designers set it up, and save a ton of cash too.

What is the reason/purpose of changing the wheelbase on your bike??
It’s going to change the handling in the turns significantly.
Why not just leave it as the designers set it up, and save a ton of cash too.
I do like the look of a slightly extended bike with a fatter tire, 4" max and 240 tire. I'd also like to bring the bike to the strip so there's that too.... To say just leave it as the designers intended is an odd statement in a group dedicated to the most customizable bike in the world... Well, sport bike atleast

Its also important to not in spring time I'll have a second bike more suited for turns and track possibly an R7

To say just leave it as the designers intended is an odd statement in a group dedicated to the most customizable bike in the world... Well, sport bike atleast
Not an odd statement. A lot of guys on here (myself included) can appreciate the Hayabusa as the designers intended and that's what i like about the group.

But if you want to go crazy with customization, then go for it. As you said, its the most customizable bike in the world. and to answer your question, adding stretch and a wider tire will affect the handling. I think even with just the extension blocks, that it would be expensive.

Not an odd statement. A lot of guys on here (myself included) can appreciate the Hayabusa as the designers intended and that's what i like about the group.

But if you want to go crazy with customization, then go for it. As you said, its the most customizable bike in the world. and to answer your question, adding stretch and a wider tire will affect the handling. I think even with just the extension blocks, that it would be expensive.
Maybe my question was misunderstood, the blocks can be had for $200...i guess what I'm asking will the blocks give the same feeling to tell me if it's something I really want to do... So has anyone used blocks and later went to a full on swingarm

Maybe my question was misunderstood, the blocks can be had for $200...i guess what I'm asking will the blocks give the same feeling to tell me if it's something I really want to do... So has anyone used blocks and later went to a full on swingarm

The handling of the bike with extensions vs an extended swingarm will be exactly the same, assuming the wheelbase and suspension are also the same.
The reason both exhist is because extensions are cheap and work, and extended swingarms are built to handle more hp, and for looks.
So no, there is no harm in a longer chain and a set of extensions to see if you'll like how a stretch handles.

Keep in mind you need a new chain also. And make sure the extensions you get come with the brake caliper bracket.

When I bought my bike it came with some bolt on extensions like you are talking about. They felt fine to me, just a bit harder to get the bike to turn in. Plenty of people have used extensions without issue, and some people have had issues with them. For a temp thing to see if you want to invest in an extended swingarm, I see nothing wrong with it except a waste of money. If that's not a concern for you then get some, toss them on and see if you like them.

If I'm not mistaken extending the rear also raises the rear due to the geometry back there. So keep that in mind and get some lowering links while you are at it if you want to keep the same ride height.

Except for the Gen1s, :D they certainly look better adding two-four inches, but no more. Bikes with the rear tire way beyond the tail section look like crap. Side views of the Gen2s and 3s look odd comparing the rear tire with where the hump is. It’s not so obvious on mine but even mine would look better a couple inches farther back. I’m aware that the handling would be effected but to what degree?

A2183FA7-4527-437D-BCF5-C8121199C994.jpeg

47035BF1-8DAD-4D7F-84FD-715E2577E93D.jpeg

4E5E4806-EA41-4C7E-914E-1A6ED07723C3.jpg

Have you tried the extensions?

Back