Swing arm extension options

Kevin Cease

Registered
So I’m starting to look at swing arm options to make it a bit more stretched out but keep it a street bike not drag strip. I’m suprised to see I can get options under $200 but don’t know the quality. Are the FTD extensions any good?

Hayabusa 4 1/2 to 9" Swingarm Extensions - Black Engraved

I think I’d like to add somewhere between 4-6 inches maybe. I will have wife on back also, so a little concerned about fender hitting the wheel.

So I’m starting to look at swing arm options to make it a bit more stretched out but keep it a street bike not drag strip. I’m suprised to see I can get options under $200 but don’t know the quality. Are the FTD extensions any good?

Hayabusa 4 1/2 to 9" Swingarm Extensions - Black Engraved

I think I’d like to add somewhere between 4-6 inches maybe. I will have wife on back also, so a little concerned about fender hitting the wheel.

so me, as a german biker, would inquisitorially ! ask the seller what aluminum the extensions are made of at such relatively low costs.

not that cheap ("chinese") aluminum was used, that cannot withstand the considerable forces that are at work there in the longer run and breaks / cracks.
should be absolutely unfunny - comparable with a breaking rear (alu) frame or the super cheap front brake lever (from china too).
german engineers tested them some years ago . result - after 2nd or 3rd hard braking the lever broke into pieces.

germany (and europe) has a standard for aluminum - there, aluminum is divided into various classes, e.g. "EN 7045" - this is an aluminum that can even be used in aircraft on massively stressed components such as e.g. the engine retaining bolts.
(no clue if the us has a comparable standard, but i think so ;) )

generally said - the cheaper the higher the danger that the part is not really resistant in the longer run and you´ll then massively risk ur ass and your sozia´s too. :redface:

so i would think twice if i should buy that cheap things
as we say here - bought too cheap - payed twice

(the only exception - a vehicle is built solely for show purposes and should never! be used in normal traffic.)

so me, as a german biker, would inquisitorially ! ask the seller what aluminum the extensions are made of at such relatively low costs.

not that cheap ("chinese") aluminum was used, that cannot withstand the considerable forces that are at work there in the longer run and breaks / cracks.
should be absolutely unfunny - comparable with a breaking rear (alu) frame or the super cheap front brake lever (from china too).
german engineers tested them some years ago . result - after 2nd or 3rd hard braking the lever broke into pieces.

germany (and europe) has a standard for aluminum - there, aluminum is divided into various classes, e.g. "EN 7045" - this is an aluminum that can even be used in aircraft on massively stressed components such as e.g. the engine retaining bolts.
(no clue if the us has a comparable standard, but i think so ;) )

generally said - the cheaper the higher the danger that the part is not really resistant in the longer run and you´ll then massively risk ur ass and your sozia´s too. :redface:

so i would think twice if i should buy that cheap things
as we say here - bought too cheap - payed twice

(the only exception - a vehicle is built solely for show purposes and should never! be used in normal traffic.)
This is a great answer I needed to hear thank you

any of the name brand sprocket companies make good sprockets, are u switching to aluminum? what’s the plan for your bike? just extending for looks of you going to race?

My bike came with extensions like the ones you linked but made by BallZ. They seem to be a well built piece, made from 6061 aluminum but I would always have that slight worry in the back of my mind. Odds are they will hold up fine, but what if they don't? I like to ride without worrying about something on my bike failing so they had to go. Plenty of people seem to use them without issue, but not something I'm comfortable with.

Properly installed well made extensions are fine. A Well built full swing arm looks better and is lighter and stronger.

Crap swing arm, crap extensions, either way is dangerous.

-edit-forgot it was gen 3 section

Back