This guy was a hero

DAB

Registered
This is the time of year when 9-11 memorial events start taking shape. Some of those events, of course, will be on television. And today, I had an opportunity to preview a documentary that will air on public broadcasting called "For the Love of Their Brother."

The film tells the story of the struggles and triumphs of the Siller family. On 9-11, New York firefighter Stephen Siller was on his way home to Staten Island when heard over the radio that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Siller turned around his truck and drove to the Brooklyn battery tunnel (which leads to Manhattan.) The tunnel, however, was blocked. So he took 75 pounds of equipment out of his truck, strapped it onto his back, and ran through the tunnel -- a distance of nearly two miles. On the other side, he hitched a ride with an emergency vehicle going to Ground Zero. Stephen Siller jumped out of the vehicle and ran into the 2nd tower. He was inside when the building collapsed.

While the death of every 9-11 victim was tragic, Stephen Siller's passing was especially harsh. He was married and had five kids under the age of ten.

The film, produced by Frederick, Md.-based Three Roads Communications, chronicles Stephen Siller's life story and his heroism. But it also shows the heroism of his six much older brothers and sisters. Thirty years ago, they were all working or in college when their parents died. The baby brother, Stephen Siller, was only ten. Yes, Stephen Siller was an orphan at the age of ten. His brothers and sisters raised him through school, the difficult adolescent years, and his first post graduation jobs. Eventually, Stephen became a firefighter, a job he said he loved.

In the wake of 9-11, Stephen Siller's family faced a choice that may sound familiar to anybody who loses an extremely close loved one: Allow grief to ruin your life, or use it as a catalyst to help the lives of others. As the film shows, the Siller family chose the latter. They started by asking the City of New York to help organize a memorial run each year through the battery tunnel.

Through the years, the run has become a huge success. At each race, 343 firefighters line the inside of the tunnel with an American flag and the photo of a firefighter killed on 9-11. The city and local businesses all pitch in and contribute equipment and support. And already, millions of dollars have been raised by run participants for orphans, 9-11 families, and the children of servicemen and women killed overseas.

This year's run will take place on Sunday September 25th. (For more info, go to http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org)

I recently had an opportunity to interview Russ Hodge, the executive producer who pulled together this incredible documentary. Russ is also a cousin of Stephen Siller. The film's message, he points out, is actually fairly simple: "Life does go on. And it can be beautiful and it can be wonderful. And damn it, sometimes it really does hurt and sometimes it's really awful too. But you can find the silver lining too."

The Siller family has found their silver lining... and all of us who see their story are better for it. I urge you to check your local listings in September and make time to watch "For the Love of Their Brother."

Questions/comments: DShuster@msnbc.com

It's nice to hear about such heartwarming events at this one. In a world full of so much crap these stories are worth reading.

On that note. I was just reading about the "motorcyclist magazine" rider of the year. It's an 11 year old dirt track racer who's younger sibling died of brain cancer. He started an annual "Laps for love" to raise money for pediatric cancer research. He was joing this year by Ricky Charmichael (sp). Good stuff.

Chris

Wow, DAB. I'll have to keep my eye open for that. Sounds like an incredible story.

smile.gif

Sounds great.
Out here in New Mexico, Albuquerque sponsors a 9/11 Ride. 2 years ago there was about 3-4 hundred bikes, last year there was (depending on who counted) between 800 - 900. this year they are expecting 1000 or more. If you are in the area on 9/11 let me know and we could hook up. All kinds of bikes but only one thing on our minds..... Alway Remembered, Never Forgotten.

I am glad to see there will be documentary on a true hero.

Back