Thinking about taking my bike to the drag strip

racerV

Did you say something?
Donating Member
Registered
Friday September 4 at New England Dragway - Epping, NH Have never drag raced my bike before but I think it will be fun. Any info any of you veterans can share would be appreciated such as do I need numbers on my bike, if so where and what number? Proper tire pressure, do I need to do a burn out? Should I strap the front end? Can I use regular tie down straps to do this? Proper RPM for launch? Do I slip the clutch or let her fly? Thanks in advance for the help. :bowdown:

Is your bike streched? i dont dump the clutch i ride it for a bit to come out of the hole then let her go. I launch from 7 grand. it all depends on you and the bike and what your comfortable with. everybody will do it diffrent, some guys have lock up clutches that allow them to launch from 10 grand and the front end will stay close to the ground. Number? they usally use window chalk to wright a number on you windshield, is that waht your meaning? just be carefull and make a few practice passes before you go out and let her rip get used to the track it very sticky... tire pressure i run about 15-18lbs

Is your bike streched? i dont dump the clutch i ride it for a bit to come out of the hole then let her go. I launch from 7 grand. it all depends on you and the bike and what your comfortable with. everybody will do it diffrent, some guys have lock up clutches that allow them to launch from 10 grand and the front end will stay close to the ground. Number? they usally use window chalk to wright a number on you windshield, is that waht your meaning? just be carefull and make a few practice passes before you go out and let her rip get used to the track it very sticky... tire pressure i run about 15-18lbs
Stock wheelbase, pretty much stock bike. I'm not looking to tear it up either...just wanna go have fun and see how good I do.

Stock wheelbase, pretty much stock bike. I'm not looking to tear it up either...just wanna go have fun and see how good I do.

Thats all that matters just be aware that on a stock wheel base if you dump the clutch on a sticky track it will come off the ground easy... if i were you I would leave at about 5 -1/2, 6 grand and ride the clutch out. like i said you will get the feel for it and you'll know what best and comfortable for you...:beerchug:

just be carefull and make a few practice passes before you go out and let her rip get used to the track

This'll be your most important part of the day. It's not like being out on the street. You're in front of a bunch of people and you don't want to look like you don't know what you are doing. Guess what, everyone has to start somewhere sometime~!~

Just go out and ride the track the first time, don't launch hard. Get a feel for it and what it's like to make the pass. Each time you pull up to the line you'll feel more and more comfortable.

Do not try launching hard and/or popping the clutch until you make a few passes. You might get a couple good launches in and feel good, but then one time you'll find your front tire brushing your teeth.

Have fun~!~ Be careful~!~ Leave the wheelies to me~!~ :laugh:

Don't dump the clutch, feather it out. Your best bet is to watch some other riders launch and you'll get the idea of what your supposed to do.

i always tell first timers:

1. forget the burnout,don't need it yet.
2. relax and have fun

after you are comfortable, then you can start to worry about your burnouts, and raising your rpm at launch...just ride it like normal the first few times. if possible walk to the starting line and get a look at the lights, see how they work...get a feel of what you need to do, before you are suited up and on the bike.

Last edited:
Friday September 4 at New England Dragway - Epping, NH Have never drag raced my bike before but I think it will be fun. Any info any of you veterans can share would be appreciated such as do I need numbers on my bike, if so where and what number? Proper tire pressure, do I need to do a burn out? Should I strap the front end? Can I use regular tie down straps to do this? Proper RPM for launch? Do I slip the clutch or let her fly? Thanks in advance for the help. :bowdown:
I need to change this date to the 18th as I will be going home the previous 2 weekends.

Exactly what some of the other guys have said. Forget the burn out and leave the tire pressure alone for now. Leave easy your first several runs, but gradually pick up the launch rpm if you are comfortable with how its going. The first 330 is where you make or break the run, so getting the launch down is most, if not all of the battle. What helped me the most was getting into a routine. I always approached the run the same way; I would let the other rider do his burn out first, then I would always let them stage first. Just work on your legwork at the line, and slipping the clutch, and you'll do great. Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :thumbsup:

That's to funny. I was going tonight to see what I could do with the '08 and it rained. :duh:

Back