Thinking about getting a dell notebook

twist-n-go

Registered
so lets hear it, I am thinking about getting a Dell Notebook.
more specifically an Inspiron E1505. Does anyone have one?
How do you like it? Are you happy with the Service you have received from Dell.

e1505_front_131x145_ss.jpg

I bought an Inspiron 9000 (March 2005) w/ all the bells and tassles. I love it. I've since bought two more as gifts. No problems w/ their product. I haven't had to interact w/ customer service outside of the purchases so I have no testimony there.

Only bought DELL Latitudes for work, but have had them in all types of environments and had very few problems. Those that I did have were taken care of by DELL.

thanks for the reasurance. i Have only heard good things about them but wanted to see what the people here thought. this one is going to serve as a mobile office for my wife. She is going into real estate, and i wanted to make sure i was buying her something dependable and something that is still going to be good a year or two from now....plus i'm sure i will be using it here on the .ORG.

Opt for an extended warranty. Opt for antivirus software. Opt for wireless connectivity. Opt for XP Professional. Opt for at least 512Mb of RAM but I suggest no less than 1Gb.

just got dell xps lap top for me and dell e310 for the wife lovin them. get the warranty. why you ask so after 2yeard when it is out of date and you acidently drop it it gets replaced.
just my 2.5cents

Happy with the service. When I got my Inspiron 8200 it had only one speaker working. Some dude came to the house and repaired it in a few days.
Got my wife the XPS desk top.
And hard drive crashed. Lost a ton of pics. Fix next day.

Bad side here is, I have only bought 2 Dells and both have been worked on?
rock.gif

So I ordered my the Dell E1505 today. The service rep. told me it was the newest version of the 1505 and it wasn't on the web site yet. ( we will see ) I should get it in a couple of days.
Thanks everyone for the advice...  

The only bad thing is where i live does not have DSL lines so unless i spend $100 a month for Satellite it looks like some slow dial-up junk for me...
AAAssjani.gif

For my business, I purchased the Latitude D810. Great machine and it was $2400 tmd with a 3 year onsite warranty. Has the 7200 RPM drive and 2G of ram. It also has the ATI Radeon X600 card with the big 15" diag screen.

It's thicker than I like. But I have been using the HPCompaq nc6000... it's sleaker and lighter - but sucks compared to my Dell. Plus Dell onsite support is good. Good bang for the buck depending on what you're doing.

Battery life is fantastic. I think I'm getting what - 4 hours of battery life...

If I was a gamer - I'd do the XPS 1710. They're thicker and heavier but they totally rock. Check out cnet.com's reviews.

Have fun!

In my opinion the Dell keyboards Suck, but after two years of frequent use mine is humming right along...

Quite honestly folks... Dell? Think about their motto: "#1 in customer support" How do you become #1 in customer support? With a lot of practice!

If I was a new car salesman and you were buying a new Lincoln, and I said to you 'Mr. Customer, come look over here at this Dell car, it's $20,000 less and it has all the same bells and whistles as the Lincoln, actually you have to pay extra for most of them, but the car is new and as nice as a Lincoln'... you'd be skeptical.

Most Dells are Yugos, plain and simple. Inferior hard drives and ram and motherboards and cases and keyboards and screens. How do you think Dell can afford to sell them so cheap? Besides the fact that in order to get a machine from them that is any way up to par with standards, you must UPGRADE the RAM and the hard drive. On their site right now is a notebook with a Intel Core Solo processor, 512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM, and a 60gb HD, CD burner and DVD ROM. The STANDARD for that caliber of machine is 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 100GB HD, DVD burner and CD burner. So, we have to upgrade 3 of the 4 most major aspects of the machine.

Now, this is NOT to say that Dell doesn't sell nicer machines, but you pay for the nicer machines! The machines they advertise on TV and in magazines are always sub-par. And you'll be next in line to experience their customer support!

Oh, and now that Dell owns Alienware, it's only a matter of time before those notebooks fall apart, too!

Yeah, there are a lot of Dells out there, but there are a lot of old Hyundai's and for a while there were a lot of Ford Pinto's and Chevy Vega's too.

Much like their TV's Sony makes an outstanding notebook and desktop. By far the BEST selling in the retail environment to a specific clientele. Sony caters to customers who want a machine that is decked out! Their support is outstanding, and their machines are incredible, and their bundles software is great. Every machine in my house is a Sony and my desktop runs 24/7... 4gbs of DDR2, almost 1 terabyte of SATA storage, and a Pentium D processor. The machine runs Pinnacle and renders video in the background while I continue to surf the Internet with multiple pages open at any given time, Photoshop open, and Outlook open. My notebook is a Sony with a Pentium M, 2gbs of RAM, 100 gb of storage, built in AIR card so I have internet EVERYWHERE I go, and all that with a 10" screen!

So, as NJ said... Sony Vaio!

No offense guys, but I call them "Slowny Viao's".  I tried one that was a Duo Core.  It was slower than my 3yr old Dell Inspiron 8200, in almost every way (except battery life).

I ended up going with a Gateway Mobile Athlon 64.  That notebook is much faster, and can deliver much better graphics, overall.
You went from a Sony to a Gateway? My friends at Best Buy and Circuit City call Gateway the Dell of retail!

If you had a Duo that wasn't performing you really should have had it looked at and if it still wasn't right, exchanged for another Duo. There are a multitude of reasons why machines run crappy out of the box!

Just my .02

Back