The Town That Never Was...

Photographing A Town That Never Was

Artist and photographer Michael Paul Smith has spent hours upon hours photographing one special town that he holds very dear to his heart. There is something that always drew him to it, and the images he created are simple, but stunning. They glow with small-town charm and innocence, reminiscent of days and decades past. The town he photographs is quaint and beautiful.
cool-miniature-town-cars-photographer-recreation.jpg

It’s like each picture tells a story of how life used to be in the United States.
cool-miniature-town-cars-photographer-recreation-black-white.jpg

There’s not much going on in these pictures, but it’s obvious that this town is nothing but charm.
cool-miniature-town-cars-photographer-recreation-winter.jpg

But, as it turns out, also not real.
cool-miniature-town-cars-photographer-recreation-snow.jpg

Michael builds custom miniature models and sets, meticulously crafting every detail.
xETNx7B.jpg

Then, the 60 year-old photographer creates the hyper-realistic images.
4ej0qY6.jpg

If you didn’t know any better, you might think these are vintage photos of a town from a few decades ago…
jXf2PIg.jpg

And NOT the extremely small models this man built.
fHnDzoB.jpg

He started building these models as an exercise. He wanted to practice his craft and also photography.
AtNMo0R.jpg

He never imagined it would be a “dream-like reconstruction†of the town he grew up in.
RFS8YtP.jpg

To Michael, this is what quintessential America looked like when he was a kid.
LxWCI1V.jpg

It is absolutely beautiful.
87KFJKo.jpg

If “Elgin Park†were a real town, I would love to live there.
TMVa4sX.jpg

He creates the scenes by setting up Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint die cast autos and trucks in front of his models on card tables.
UEDPPy9.jpg

Then, he uses the surrounding scenery to make the backgrounds for the photos.
QwO9ypa.jpg

The perspective has to be JUST right…
h5YW24X.jpg

xiIFqzu.jpg

KMcoKtg.jpg

Usually the resulting photos are completely convincing.
Wkw3Mof.jpg

Even when you know what’s going on behind the scenes.
ZyIjAOL.jpg

It’s all an illusion.
aPXulnN.jpg

But Michael is able to make an incredibly convincing one.
b3lWf2m.jpg

u5OswMg.jpg

His selfies aren’t part of the official photo series, but I think they just add to the charm of his work.
zyYauRA.jpg

mUlq5Om.jpg

sjzp5GX.jpg

nsrRj14.jpg

TDTV769.jpg

vPmGAmo.jpg

2O0rUfq.jpg

There is so much talent and imagination in there...if the guy does it as a hobby it is easy to understand... for all the stage / set model builders he could surely rank with the best. I can relate in the sense of what I do is for myself or friends...to have a boss breathing down my neck would take all the fun out of my hobbies. The models he builds and the perspective / camera equip make it so realistic. Top notch effort.

I'am happy to say, other than the autos (and I still see some of them here) it looks alot like the city I live in !!! AND I LOVE IT :cheerleader: !!!!!

Back