the suspension thread

OrdyBusa

Registered
ok, so i read the suspension thread that's pinned in the performance and i understood how to adjust the rear which was simple but the front is a little more confusing going by the post. it looks like to me that since i am also 240lbs that i should just beable to tighten down the fork bolts on top about 10revs and then my forks would be alot stiffer. is that right? i got a little confused reading the post with all the equations so that's why i'm asking. thanks

The preload changes the ride height, it doesn't change the spring rate. If you're coming to the Bash, we'll get your suspension setup there.

If you go 240lbs, you may want to look into a re-spring venture for the front. From my experiences, the stock suspension blows.
Traxxion Dynamics makes a great 1K re-spring/valve kit for the Busa.
That's my next present to myself.

It looks like to me that since i am also 240lbs that i should just beable to tighten down the fork bolts on top about 10revs and then my forks would be alot stiffer.  is that right?
There are 2 adjustments on the top of the forks.  One is done with a screwdriver the other with a socket.

You're talking about the preload which is the one with the socket.

At your weight, even if you crank the preload all the way down, no lines showing, you will still have too much laden sag for agressive twisty riding.  You'll need to upgrade to stiffer springs, if you go to Race Tech's website.  they have a calculator where you enter in your weight and it'll tell you what strength springs to get.  Stock are .85, I weigh 165 and it recommends .95.  You'll probably be in the neighborhood of 1.05.

Keep in mind that the amount of laden sag you "should" set your bike to depends on your weight, but also how fast and what kind os riding you do.

I do a lot of trackdays, and Jinkster's recommendations are way too soft for the pace I run.

You can put a zip tie on your fork tube and leave it there.  The dust cover will push the zip tie down as the fork compresses, then when the fork uncompresses the zip tie will stay put showing you how far your suspension is moving.   After a week or a month, see if it got anywhere near the bottom.  If it did, crank down the preload until the zip tie only go so far down the tube.  Your suspension works the best in the center of its range, not on the extremes.

Remember, the amount of Preload and the spring rates depend on;
Your weight
How fast you ride
What kind of road you ride
How bumpy the road is

There is no set preload.  Just like tire pressures, compression, and rebound.  Its different for every application.

Back