The starting problems start!

How many volts are u getting at the starter? and i would pull the injectors and put them over a pan of some sort and just turn the key without starting the bike to see if u get abnornal flow from any of the injectors. i had rusty tank and red fuel and my injectors. soi clened all lines tank used brake cleaner , blew back all crud in fuel filter and cleaned most of tthe rust out of it. rea ssembled and rechecked now i haved good gas at the injectors free and clear of any deposits. but eventually. or it may be time for a TB sync.....

Earlier in the thread the battery, cables, ampdraw and volt drop at the starter was checked and double checked after all the parts were replaced with new... twice. When i get the extra cash flow im buying new flow matched injectors to eliminate the possibility. Everything is pointing to fuel being on top of the piston, and with a hot engine its evaporating, expanding, and causing increased compression in the partially fuel filled combustion chamber.

Earlier in the thread the battery, cables, ampdraw and volt drop at the starter was checked and double checked after all the parts were replaced with new... twice. When i get the extra cash flow im buying new flow matched injectors to eliminate the possibility. Everything is pointing to fuel being on top of the piston, and with a hot engine its evaporating, expanding, and causing increased compression in the partially fuel filled combustion chamber.

That is what it feels like to me. Mine stopped doin it...

i tried rocking it as was mentioned on another hot start forum on hayabusa.org. No change and I really rocked it for a while.

Side note, i send my injectors to MPS Racing in FL to get cleaned. We'll see if that makes a difference. I doubt it.

Well see.

try shimming the limiter assy with a thick washer... trust me on that one and it wont cost you anything but a washer!

Will do. So not to mix possible solutions, I will install the cleaned injectors and then try the washers since i sent them out already.

Where did you get your cleaned? I sent mine to MPS in Florida. They seem like a great outfit. 1 day turn around. I'll have them back Sat or Monday.

Got my injectors back and I want to say that MPS did a good job. Nice report with pics showing better flow, however this did not fix the problem. So the idea of my injectors leaking etc etc was not it. Strangely though, when I first put then in, I could not get the bike to start. Was doing the same thing (hot start problem). I had to push stRt it and then after that she ran and I went around the block.

I am going to do you washer mod tomorrow after work and see what the deal is. If that doesn't work, I'm definitely lost and will probably head to the dealer. :(

I am embarrassed to say that I have missed riding ALLLL freakin summer because of a bad starter motor!!!! Yes, it was the starter motor. Even though it checked it per the service manual, it was still bad. I installed a starter motor and ilder gear from an 00 busa and it work.....

....so time to buy a new one. Does anyone have a source for a new beefy one? New one from the dealer is $300+. Let me know.

THANKS

your probelm aint the starter, when installing the starter from the 00, you also removed the limiter assy and put the direct gear from the 00 right? im guessing you didnt try the washer mod i told you...

You told me that your starter clutch was not spinning at all indicating that the limiter was slipping which is why the washer would fix the problem by tightening the gears. In my cause, the clutch was spinning so I ruled it out.

You are right that I had to change both the motor and limiter to try this solution and you are right that I don't want to spend $120 for nothing.

Sooooo.... .Rule number 1: Never ASSUME that your bike was put together the RIGHT WAY, when you buy it used. After ALLLLL this time, going back and forth, it seems as though, the problem has been, a washer... YES, A WASHER!!!

Turbor1, I tried your extra washer idea and it helped but not fully. The bike would start more often but the problem still occurred. I just figured the washer was too thick or too thin and i didnt have it just right SOOOO, i went and bought a new limiter assembly and as I was taking it apart and thinking again before installing the new one, I noticed a washer between the limiter assembly and the case on the shaft that the limiter mounts to and I thought, does it go in front of or behind the limiter assembly, so i looked it up on the assmebly schematic and guess what.... no washer shown!.. hummmm. Lets try the bike WITHOUT the washer and VVVRRROOOOM! Started right up. Rode around the block for 10mins, got her nice and hot and still no problem. It seems as though the washer was basically clamping that gear in place preventing it from spining freely which is why i thought there was some mechanically resistance!!!!

I never touched this part of the bike in the past, so I dont know how or why that washer was there... SO, just cuase you see a part on your bike, dont assume it belongs there.

Now is time to enjoy whats left of my summer!!! CHEERS!:beerchug:

Sooooo.... .Rule number 1: Never ASSUME that your bike was put together the RIGHT WAY, when you buy it used. After ALLLLL this time, going back and forth, it seems as though, the problem has been, a washer... YES, A WASHER!!!

Turbor1, I tried your extra washer idea and it helped but not fully. The bike would start more often but the problem still occurred. I just figured the washer was too thick or too thin and i didnt have it just right SOOOO, i went and bought a new limiter assembly and as I was taking it apart and thinking again before installing the new one, I noticed a washer between the limiter assembly and the case on the shaft that the limiter mounts to and I thought, does it go in front of or behind the limiter assembly, so i looked it up on the assmebly schematic and guess what.... no washer shown!.. hummmm. Lets try the bike WITHOUT the washer and VVVRRROOOOM! Started right up. Rode around the block for 10mins, got her nice and hot and still no problem. It seems as though the washer was basically clamping that gear in place preventing it from spining freely which is why i thought there was some mechanically resistance!!!!

I never touched this part of the bike in the past, so I dont know how or why that washer was there... SO, just cuase you see a part on your bike, dont assume it belongs there.

Hmmm I wonder would that be my problem!! Might have to check that out this weekend

I'm loving the info in this thread! I have the same issue and was looking at replacing the pads in the limiter assembly, but you can't buy just the pads. When you say shim with a new washer do you mean replace the old one on the shaft or in addition to the one that is already there? My '03 has 40 thousand on it and worn plates seems to be the most likely culprit.

I too have had similar issue with bike I just purchased 06 with 6600miles I drove it for about 30 min on highway parked started back up kinda slow drove to my friends house turned her off and tried to start again a few times and got the sluggish cranking to point of not starting. Came back in an hour and started up fine. I put half bottle of seafoam in tank and haven't been able to replicate problem got temperature in between half way point and the red. Started a little low but still started. I am wondering if its been sitting for to long bad fuel and injections are dirty. I am going to take her out for a beating to clean up the injectors after putting in the seafoam. I also replaced battery with a Yuasa to be sure thats not it. Volt reading on new and old battery about the same. At idle though the charging system is putting out 14.9-15volts and at 4K rpm about 14.5 under load of high beams about 13.5. 14.9 seams bit high think I should test the diodes on rectifier/regulator or its fine? Sorry if I wrote a novel ;)

My starter was bad and was doing what you explain.The magnets in the starter de-lammed and stuck to the armature.Not enought field equals slow starter especially under load.My battery running is pretty high also.Like 14.7 volts.Is there anything I can do to lower that running voltage??

Glad that you found the cause. Mine is doing this same thing, once the temp gauge is at halfway point it cranks very sluggish. I have not been stranded yet thank God. I am thinking about trying to go with a battery with higher cold crank amps as I have a big bore and I am thinking maybe that is the issue.

Glad that you found the cause. Mine is doing this same thing, once the temp gauge is at halfway point it cranks very sluggish. I have not been stranded yet thank God. I am thinking about trying to go with a battery with higher cold crank amps as I have a big bore and I am thinking maybe that is the issue.

I had the hot start issue after my 1401 build. i knew i would need a higher cca battery reguardless, cured it to a point but still not right. Charged fine and everything. Today i took the wires loose from the starter solenoid and they had corrosion, so cleaned every connection, dielectric grease on them and she cranks like she did new and the hot start issue no longer exists. Not saying it is in all cases but check it out and see what you find. Just 2 cents on what i found on mine.

I had the hot start issue after my 1401 build. i knew i would need a higher cca battery reguardless, cured it to a point but still not right. Charged fine and everything. Today i took the wires loose from the starter solenoid and they had corrosion, so cleaned every connection, dielectric grease on them and she cranks like she did new and the hot start issue no longer exists. Not saying it is in all cases but check it out and see what you find. Just 2 cents on what i found on mine.

Nice! :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Pull the starter out and open it up.Sounds like the magnets delammed like mine did.They came off or unglued from the housing.Well mine would turn over slow all the time.I would check the starter and clutch gear area.I dont think the rectifier/stator would do this as the starter works off the battery voltage supplied before charging even starts.

Back