Hot Starting Problems

Shmoo

Registered
Bike will not start after it has become hot.  Turns verry slow, like a dead battery effect.  Initially, the starter was choking & grinding.  Got the free warranty upgrade to the beefier 2003 starter.  It fixed the grinding during start, but won't start when bike is hot.  Dealer thought it was a badly manufactored replacement starter, and put in a 2nd new one.  Same deal.  Then, they thought it was a bad battery, and warrantied me a new one.  Still didn't work.  Did tests on the battery, thought it may be a bad cell or two in battery.  Got a 2nd new battery!!  Same deal.  So now, they've given me a new solenoid to put in.  Where am I going with all this!!!:super:  Bike will not restart when it's warm, unless I wait 1 hour, OR...unless I pour cold water down the fairing onto the starter itself.  Then it starts.  PLEASE HELP!!!  I ride with lots of other sportbikes, and I'm embarrassing the beloved Busa community with a so-called "lemon bike" as they call it...
   :crazy:

Busa13.jpg

Mostly stock. Right now, it has: HMF Dual high-mount, PC3r, pair valve removed, K&N air filter. That's about it. Any ideas about this problem?

Bike will not start after it has become hot.  Turns verry slow, like a dead battery effect.  Initially, the starter was choking & grinding.  Got the free warranty upgrade to the beefier 2003 starter.  It fixed the grinding during start, but won't start when bike is hot.
Shmoo, I had the same symptoms a couple weeks ago. Came out from coffee and no start. Got jump and took to shop. After 2 weeks in shop waiting for parts they replaced the rectifier, wire from rectifier to starter, starter and battery. All seems to be ok again. Been riding for a week now and no problems. Hope now all is good. It's an 03 with under 2k. Hope you find your bugs....Bob

Not the same. The rectifier receives current from stator and converts to dc voltage. It's under the rear fairing, left side. Has a huge heat sink to dissipate the heat generated.

Cool. So, can I buy the replacement wires at a auto/hardware store, or is this a Suzuki specific I'll have to order?

And did your info indicate that you replaced the recifier itself, or just the wiring from the recifier/starter, etc..?

very specific Suzuki. the p/n is 33810-24F00 for the wire.the rectifier is 32800-33E20, but i suspect it is rather costly. my repair was done all under warranty at no cost.

Dude,
I think you've just been a TREMENDOUS help. I appreciate it. How can I email you a beer?? :alcoholic: :beerchug: :)

Back