starting problems when warm

davy

Registered
hi i have a 99 busa when i have been rideing it for a while then i turn it off then go to start it wont start but if i turn the kill switch of then on again a time or to it then starts .When it does not start it sound like the starter is stuck or the battery is flat but then it starts on problem.When it is cooled it is fine i have checked the battery the earth the starter the starter relay the kill switch .This problem does not happen all the time so is hard to find things so if any one has any ideas i would be greatful

My '08 acted like this when the Voltage Rectifier was bad. It was fixed under a recall, and I haven't had the issue since..

I didn't think the Gen1's had this problem though. Someone will be along shortly to figure it out..

:welcome:

Next time the bike is hot and you need to start it, crack the throttle just a little and hold it there then press the starter button.

Even though you checked your battery and it works well when the bike is cold, it still may be the battery. I had the same issue. Used the cracked throttle trick until I replaced the battery with a Ballistic Li-iron battery that has 440 Cold Cranking amps. Haven't had an issue since - hot or cold. :laugh:

I have a 1999 Busa Engine in a T-Rex like Three wheeler and I have had the same problem!

I would say it is the starter that get loaded up with carbon dust in the grooves!

You have to remove it off the Bike, open the starter up, and where you have the Brass stripes that collect the Juice from the battery (At the back end where the brushes are!), you will notice that they are most likely filled with the carbon brush residue and make your starter draw a lot more amps than it should! hence it feels like your battery is dying out when you try to start it hot!

Solution is a no cost one!!

Take a hack saw blade, (A thin one) and just clean up the grroves, you will see a major difference, like if you have changed the starter motor!

Your Busa probably has some miles, and it will happen again, as long as you have enough brush life left, you can do it a couple of time! You also should clean up the Brass collector with a very fine piece of sandpaper!

If everthing else works fine when cold, this should fix your problem!!

Back