Starting Problem

Smythy

Registered
Hi folks
Need help
Having problems starting my busa
With a fully charged battery, The busa starts immediately.
After taking it out for a spin,When I try to start it, It won't turn over,It sounds like a flat battery but it's not.
When I put a multimeter on it it's showing 12.60 volts.
If I leave it for a while, The busa starts straight away or if I put jump leads on it it starts straight away.
The battery is almost new
Someone has said it might be the starter clutch
The busa is on a 2010 plate with only 7500 miles recorded so I think I can rule that out, Also, If it was the starter clutch,Getting a jump start surely wouldn't make any difference as my battery is showing 12.60 volts
Any ideas please?
Thanks folks.

Smythy
Welcome to the forum!

Can you get take a voltage reading of the battery while pushing the start button when it is in the condition of not starting for you?
Have you verified that the + and - battery terminals are fastened correctly, as in they are not loose?
I would also check the connection at the starter as well to see if it is tight.
I had a similar issue on my truck and I thought it was the starter, the battery and when I boosted it it would start but randomly it wouldn't on its own.
Turned out the positive terminal on the battery was loose. lol

Yes, check battery voltage from the rectifier per the manual instructions. I think it is supposed to float around 12.5 to 13.0 at 5k. Read the manual to be sure. Also, have your battery load checked. I went through 3 on my 05 in a few months and all three were the battery, not the bike.

Yes, check battery voltage from the rectifier per the manual instructions. I think it is supposed to float around 12.5 to 13.0 at 5k. Read the manual to be sure. Also, have your battery load checked. I went through 3 on my 05 in a few months and all three were the battery, not the bike.

I believe DC voltage at the battery (which is the same point as the output of the RR) should be around 13.5-15VDC at 5000RPM.

Smythy
Welcome to the forum!

Can you get take a voltage reading of the battery while pushing the start button when it is in the condition of not starting for you?
Have you verified that the + and - battery terminals are fastened correctly, as in they are not loose?
I had a similar issue on my truck and I thought it was the starter, the battery and when I boosted it it would start but randomly it wouldn't on its own.
Many thanks Amigo
I bought another battery and had same problem
Spoke to a local garage
He asked me to check oil level
I did and it was slightly higher than normal
I removed some oil and it smelled of fuel so it looks like possibly the fuel tap diaphragm is faulty
It's in the garage now for repairs
Many thanks

Hi Amigo
Found fuel in the sump so looks like fuel tap diaphram faulty
The Busa now in garage
Roll on summer
Many thanks

Smythy
Welcome to the forum!

Hi Amigo
Checked it all out and okay
Found petrol in sump which indicates faulty fuel tap diaphram
It's in garage now for repair
Many thanks

Smythy
Welcome to the forum!

Hi Amigo
Everything was checked and found to be okay
Found fuel in the sump
Indicates faulty fuel tap diaphram
It's in garage now for repair
Many thanks

Smythy
Ok, thank you for the update!
That is interesting but very crappy.
Could you please keep is informed with how this progresses?

Back