the ongoing debate

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
so as some of you guys may remember I bought a 06 triumph daytona 675 as a "mini-me" to the 01 busa I've had.. uh.. since 01.  haha.

I said after I had a chance to get more used to the daytona I would add to the initial thoughts I had about it... and in comparison to the busa since we are all (mostly) familiar with that.

The busa has 16,000 miles..

the daytona.. 1,600  

I've ridden both of them this week.. back to back so alot of things stuck out.

It's all kinda like I said the first time for the most part though.

The busa is the bike you wanna make the trip to deals gap on.. the triumph is the bike you want when you get there.

The sitting posistion is much more extreme (angle wise) on the triumph...  long trips will leave you with an aching neck from basically keeping your head/neck almost over extended.

After riding the triumph for 30 minutes and then switching over to the busa immediately my butt goes.. "Ahhh, thats nice... what a nice thing a cushy seat is."

the triumph seat is a plank.. the busa.. a lazy boy.

hmmm.. the triumph has ZERO storage...  you take the front seat off and there is a little compartment there to keep a bic lighter in for emergency's.... you know the busa has a fair bit of storage in the tail...   the triumph has nothing. take the back seat off.. (which is bolted down btw) and you just see the top of the rear fender.

the funniest thing on this bike to me is...

you take the front seat off with a key....  and it has an allen wrench attached to the bottom of the seat... the allen wrench takes the bolt that hold the rear seat on loose....  and when you take the rear seat off you find a screw driver....   thats your tools...  enjoy!  lmao.

the ignition/dash/gauge package on the triumph is better.. digital speedo, analog tach with programmable shift lights.. lap timer and a buncha other useless,, but interesting functions..  clock.. etc.. but no fuel gauge (the gauge on the busa spoils you)

the wind screen on the busa directs all the wind straight at my helmet (6'0 tall here) so it's LOUD ( i wear ear plugs) the triumph i can ride w/o the plugs because the shield throws the wind over your head (less aerodynamic.. but hey...  i like it better)

the tranny in the truimph is butter smooth...  the busa tranny feels clunky in comparison.  (never a false neutral in the triumph.. NEVER)   Shifting gears on the busa requires the rider to make a concious effort to shift.. the triumph..  put the slightest amount of pressure on the lever and blip the throttle... you have now upshifted..  no questions asked.

hmm... power of course is a now brainer.. the busa would rip it's guts out and stomp on em'.   For a smaller bike it is honkin' fast though.  

The easiest way to explain the power diff is...   on the busa ifyou don't constantly pay attention to the speedo your going 90... the triumph.. your going 65-70.   You have to intentionally go fast on the triumph.. but it's more than willing to crank the speed out if you want it to (152 mph via GPS and had some left I believe)

the triumph has a cable clutch.. (thank you jesus!) I hate the hydralic clutch on the busa.. always have..  it has no feeling.. it's either engaged.. or not..    on/off for the most part...

the cable on the triumph is like a dimmer switch.. just dial up the power you want and it does it's thing.

braking is adequate/good on the busa (in relation to ti's size) with the addition of SS lines and better pads ... the brakes on the triumph are "STOP THIS THING RIGHT NOW" insane off the show room floor. (comes OEM with SS lines)

oh yeah... I was never impressed with the headlights on the busa.... but the triumph headlights are there to say it's got headlights... they are a joke.

if your gonna ride to the track to watch a race the busa is the #1 choice... if your gonna go to the track to ride... the triumph wins by a landslide on the power of brakes and wieghing 125 pnds less.

just some quick math I did..

150 hp / 550 pnds (wet) = .272 HP for every pnd
110hp / 425 pnds (wet) = .258 HP for every pnd

100 tq./550 pnds  = .181 ft. pnds. tq for every pnd
53 tq. 425 pnds  = .124 ft. pnds. tq. for every pnd

numbers from stock stuff

you can feel the torque difference for sure..  the busa pulls your arms out of socket through the whole rev range...  the triumph just does it for about 4,000 rpms from 6k=10k.

anyway...  they both do exactly what I want them to do.. and they both do a splendid job at it... if I had to pick only 1...  

hmmm.. tough call.. I guess it would depend on where I spent more time...  just riding,, or track days.

so probably the busa.. but if i HAD to sell either of them I would miss whichever it was badly.

lurk.gif
SHOCKED.gif
I'm glad I won't be missing my Busa at the Gap, cause my azz will be in that lazyboy watching vman disappear
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

I couldn't decide between the 675 or the 750, but my wife decided for me and got the 750.  The 750 is just awesome!!

oh yeah.. haha handling!!.. can't forget that.

the busa is sorta like a big comfy sport tuned cadillac.. it handles well, it's stable, and smooth. it will forgive line corrections and etc. no big deal. When you add in the HUGE amount of torque available at any time it takes some disipline not to have the rear end spinning up coming out of turns.

the triumph is so quick to turn in it is purely concerned with going fast. it's firm, somewhat twitchy (if you are twitchy i mean... it's as smooth as you make it) it doesn't like abrupt changes in line... and it's so light it's easy to "over flick" (thats my word) in corner transitions. It does flick though... unbelievably quick transitions and the tank/seat are perfectly shaped for aggressive riding.

okay. thats it.. i'm done now.

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 29 2007,15:20) I couldn't decide between the 675 or the 750, but my wife decided for me and got the 750.  The 750 is just awesome!!
thats what it came down to for me also man.

what made up my mind was the sound of the triumph and I thought it was just awesome looking.

and the insurance ratings... 1/3 the price to insure the triumph in comparison to the 750.

I do re-call when you were looking at the 675. I believe I had mentioned to you I know a guy that has one and gave it a quick ride and everything you say regarding the ride is so true...just brutally uncomfortable. for me it's almost like doing a push-up the whole time (6'3", 225 lbs.).

Amazing looking bike though.

to me it was well worth the trade as well. I do miss my busa tho, I traded it for my 07 YZFR6 (Charcoal/Grey) and this lil 600 is all the power I need. The bike has plenty of pull and power stock. And im 6'2 @ 205lb's, 212-215lbs fully geared and the bike dosent seem weighed down at all or have any problems. It all depends on the type of riding you do tho I guess
super.gif

Nice write up! How about some pics of the Triumph and the gratuitous pic of your Busa for good measure?
tounge.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 30 2007,04:12) Nice write up!  How about some pics of the Triumph and the gratuitous pic of your Busa for good measure?  
tounge.gif
I am so impressed...

She used the word gratuitous! Trying to prove that "women are smarter than men" thingy again?

ices_rofl.gif

Oh crap, I just realized who I am talking about here. Oops? Sorry?

*moving over here all by myself now*
*Shanling you idiot!*

Back