The little things.....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
I almost used an old thread from 2006 for this but decided to start a new one..

I notice it's the little things which interest me of late...I've been all over the world and have seen and done things which would curl your hair so the small things in life mean more to me.

For instance today I noted a flock of geese flying over, in the beginning there were around 50 birds on one side of the 'V' and 4 or so on the other...it wasn't too long before the birds balanced themselves out to form a perfect 'V' which was equal in length on both sides...then they seemed to gain serious altitude to avoid the hunters out in the surrounding fields.

While I'm at the bird theme, each evening hundreds of crows fly over our house on their way to their night time roost...they are perfectly silent except for the sound of their wings...it's kind of eerie. Last Hallowe'en we had a full moon and the crows were flying to their roost, I had most of the kids convinced they were bats...

Last edited:
Geese are common here too.
A friend and I were kayaking on the river a few weeks ago, and I stopped counting at 80.
They crisscrossed the river several times, then came back and straight upstream about 200 yards out.
Ah sh*t...literally
It was like fighter planes dropping softball size bombs in the water by the dozens as they passed over, with a couple near misses, lmao.
I'm glad to hear an old soldier can relax and enjoy some simple pleasures in life.
Too many guys are haunted by their experiences and not as fortunate.

Geese are common here too.
A friend and I were kayaking on the river a few weeks ago, and I stopped counting at 80.
They crisscrossed the river several times, then came back and straight upstream about 200 yards out.
Ah sh*t...literally
It was like fighter planes dropping softball size bombs in the water by the dozens as they passed over, with a couple near misses, lmao.
I'm glad to hear an old soldier can relax and enjoy some simple pleasures in life.
Too many guys are haunted by their experiences and not as fortunate.
5 years of weekly therapy helped me quite a bit...

I was watching TV the other day and the sound of geese honking drowned it out...I went out on the deck and saw probably 500 or more taking off from the fields around us...

5 years of weekly therapy helped me quite a bit...

I was watching TV the other day and the sound of geese honking drowned it out...I went out on the deck and saw probably 500 or more taking off from the fields around us...

I'm not suprised to hear about the therapy, but always glad to hear anyone say that it helped them.
There are many of us whom are still grateful to our veterans and allies, and it's hard to watch some of their struggles, especially while being able to do little to help them.
Regardless, again it's good to hear that you seem to have a good handle on things, and I'm glad you can enjoy the simple things now.
I'de say after a career of combat, your are entitled.
As for the 500 geese...I hope your cars survived...I had geese poop overnight on the hood of a 4runner I had years back...and it took the paint off!

I'm not suprised to hear about the therapy, but always glad to hear anyone say that it helped them.
There are many of us whom are still grateful to our veterans and allies, and it's hard to watch some of their struggles, especially while being able to do little to help them.
Regardless, again it's good to hear that you seem to have a good handle on things, and I'm glad you can enjoy the simple things now.
I'de say after a career of combat, your are entitled.
As for the 500 geese...I hope your cars survived...I had geese poop overnight on the hood of a 4runner I had years back...and it took the paint off!
I honestly never seen a goose crap in flight....but luckily my house is not in their flight path, just perpendicular to it.

As for getting help, good thing my wife picked up on some stuff which drove me to seek help...the scary thing is I never picked up on my having any issues....

I honestly never seen a goose crap in flight....but luckily my house is not in their flight path, just perpendicular to it.

As for getting help, good thing my wife picked up on some stuff which drove me to seek help...the scary thing is I never picked up on my having any issues....

I would imagine you wouldn't notice it either.
One of my Marine friends is battle hardened(8 years infantry).
He became numb to alot of things, still is, but I can't see how you could survive otherwise.
At least you are blessed with a good woman in your corner...that and she was probably just tired of putting up with you, lol.

I would imagine you wouldn't notice it either.
One of my Marine friends is battle hardened(8 years infantry).
He became numb to alot of things, still is, but I can't see how you could survive otherwise.
At least you are blessed with a good woman in your corner...that and she was probably just tired of putting up with you, lol.
Yep, she's put up with a lot over the years...in the line of work I was in, I could get a call and be gone a day or 5 months depending on the mission.

She would have to take care of the kids and house all the time not knowing where I was or when I was coming home...thankfully I promoted myself out of that after a while and got into a more regular routine...I still deployed but they were planned with an end date and everything...

Now I'm the house husband who looks after pretty much everything including the cooking and laundry...and I'll tell you, it is great....

Once in a while I get a visit from a former colleague and they get a good chuckle seeing me hang out laundry or prep a meal....or sweep a floor....

I notice it's the little things which interest me of late...I've been all over the world and have seen and done things which would curl your hair so the small things in life mean more to me.

For instance today I noted a flock of geese flying over, in the beginning there were around 50 birds on one side of the 'V' and 4 or so on the other...it wasn't too long before the birds balanced themselves out to form a perfect 'V' which was equal in length on both sides...then they seemed to gain serious altitude to avoid the hunters out in the surrounding fields.

While I'm at the bird theme, each evening hundreds of crows fly over our house on their way to their night time roost...they are perfectly silent except for the sound of their wings...it's kind of eerie. Last Hallowe'en we had a full moon and the crows were flying to their roost, I had most of the kids convinced they were bats...
Birds are amazing. I remember being close to a murmur it's shocking to hear 10 thousands of birds wings moving together in unison. Shakes the heart.

Yep, she's put up with a lot over the years...in the line of work I was in, I could get a call and be gone a day or 5 months depending on the mission.

She would have to take care of the kids and house all the time not knowing where I was or when I was coming home...thankfully I promoted myself out of that after a while and got into a more regular routine...I still deployed but they were planned with an end date and everything...

Now I'm the house husband who looks after pretty much everything including the cooking and laundry...and I'll tell you, it is great....

Once in a while I get a visit from a former colleague and they get a good chuckle seeing me hang out laundry or prep a meal....or sweep a floor....

Lol, that really is awesome man.
You now may no longer look the part in your new role...but I'm sure you can still handle business.
The old guy, house husband grocery shopping, he's an easy target...lets mug that guy...and I love how those stories always end, lmao

This brings up a interesting Tik Tok I saw on traumatic experiences. Apparently the brain suffers actually physical damage when we go thru traumatic experiences. Same as doing hard drugs or drinking.vit was amzing to see the brain scans before and after nutritional treatment. I thought the brain stayed in one shape but no it keeps changing, to the point you can develop massive sinkholes on the brain from traumatic experiences. The Tik Tok were made by Amen medical center. They do a lot of rehabilitation for people who have had traumatic or physical injury. Check them out. It's amazing.

@Mythos Thought of you when I saw this one with your recent crash.

Basically the way to repair and change the shape of the brain is with Omega 3 fats and supportive nutrition, especially herbs like Cinnamon will increase blood flow to the brain. Omega 3 is the big repairer though. 1 Tablespoon of Chia seeds a day will give you a ton of Omega 3. For all of us who have had trauma or taken one too many hits to the head let's get our brains fixed :beerchug: . In a good way, not in a lobotomy kind of way hahahaha.

Lol, that really is awesome man.
You now may no longer look the part in your new role...but I'm sure you can still handle business.
The old guy, house husband grocery shopping, he's an easy target...lets mug that guy...and I love how those stories always end, lmao

It would be an interesting time for a mugger for sure...I excelled at close quarter combat.....

All I can think of is man-bun Prius guy
lmao!
I've seen him several times but he has learned to avoid me I guess as he hasn't approached me since the 2nd time. I've also noted he seems to be solo these days, perhaps the young lady with him saw him for what he is and made tracks.

The scary part of the first encounter with him is I could picture myself dropping him in my "mind's eye."

I've seen him several times but he has learned to avoid me I guess as he hasn't approached me since the 2nd time. I've also noted he seems to be solo these days, perhaps the young lady with him saw him for what he is and made tracks.

The scary part of the first encounter with him is I could picture myself dropping him in my "mind's eye."

Hahahaha, I bet so

This brings up a interesting Tik Tok I saw on traumatic experiences. Apparently the brain suffers actually physical damage when we go thru traumatic experiences. Same as doing hard drugs or drinking.vit was amzing to see the brain scans before and after nutritional treatment. I thought the brain stayed in one shape but no it keeps changing, to the point you can develop massive sinkholes on the brain from traumatic experiences. The Tik Tok were made by Amen medical center. They do a lot of rehabilitation for people who have had traumatic or physical injury. Check them out. It's amazing.

@Mythos Thought of you when I saw this one with your recent crash.

Basically the way to repair and change the shape of the brain is with Omega 3 fats and supportive nutrition, especially herbs like Cinnamon will increase blood flow to the brain. Omega 3 is the big repairer though. 1 Tablespoon of Chia seeds a day will give you a ton of Omega 3. For all of us who have had trauma or taken one too many hits to the head let's get our brains fixed :beerchug: . In a good way, not in a lobotomy kind of way hahahaha.
That must be why I've been ordering takeout fish fries on Friday. I just finished one. I smelled the frying fish on the way home and I couldn't resist! I'm sort of glad I didn't get a brain scan because if I had a flat spot, I'd freak out. Good thing it was a front impact because the back of my head is as flat as anvil.

All I can think of is man-bun Prius guy
We have a new teacher at out school who wears a man bun. Oh well, it works for him...not that there's any women here he'd be hoping to impress with that man bun. If I had hair, I might go with a man bun too. I wonder how a bald top man bun would look?

That must be why I've been ordering takeout fish fries on Friday. I just finished one. I smelled the frying fish on the way home and I couldn't resist! I'm sort of glad I didn't get a brain scan because if I had a flat spot, I'd freak out. Good thing it was a front impact because the back of my head is as flat as anvil.

We have a new teacher at out school who wears a man bun. Oh well, it works for him...not that there's any women here he'd be hoping to impress with that man bun. If I had hair, I might go with a man bun too. I wonder how a bald top man bun would look?

You would look like a figther in a Sega video game from the 90's
Maybe get a sword...
but, a guy named Mytho's should already have a sword...

Dig these little guys who fly a LONG way

I understand where your coming from bumblebee It seems to me the older I get the more i apricate the simple things in life that I took for granted when I was younger like the trees and birds the wonderful colours of the plants ect Man I am sounding old HEY :thumbsup:

I understand where your coming from bumblebee It seems to me the older I get the more i apricate the simple things in life that I took for granted when I was younger like the trees and birds the wonderful colours of the plants ect Man I am sounding old HEY :thumbsup:
I will often sit out in our gazebo and just relax, I made a water feature and enjoy the "chuckling" of the water over the rocks. I have a little chipmunk that comes to me for peanuts and sunflower seeds to keep me company. Even the birds are used to me and will come too the bird bath which is only feet from me.

When I ride my bike, I will sometimes stop on the side of the road to watch a flock of turkeys frolic in the field or other critters...

I recall even when I was serving, we'd be well concealed on an operation and sometimes wild life wouldn't know we were there and sometimes even walk over us or land on us...it was hard to remain mission-focused sometimes.

Life passes by so quickly, like you said, it's the simple things for me now, no stress, no anger, just relaxing.

Back