The issues of the world......

Again, perspective and priority is huge. I lived in Los Angeles until I was 40. Huge disparities in income levels but for the most part, people without are grateful to have a job. They’re human; some do resent, but keeping a job completely outweighs resentment. I’m not saying L.A. and London are the same, but I grew up a local and during the course of my life was a part of many different socio economic levels. In essence, life is what you make it.
I've found that growing up in the '60s and '70s....even '80s was vastly different than growing up today in almost any country, city or region.

Life has changed considerably......I don't even recognize my hometown any more.

I've found that growing up in the '60s and '70s....even '80s was vastly different than growing up today in almost any country, city or region.

Life has changed considerably......I don't even recognize my hometown any more.
I imagine some places change more than others, but I visit Southern California as often as I can, and the essence stays the same. Home. I go to the areas I hung around in, not the touristy uppity neighborhoods. Interestingly I've had people tell me how much Los Angeles has changed without asking when I was las there, which is partly why I say it's perspective.
I truly think that to some extent, what we expect or predict colors what we experience.
I know I'm getting weird philosophical; seems to be a symptom of getting older.

I imagine some places change more than others, but I visit Southern California as often as I can, and the essence stays the same. Home. I go to the areas I hung around in, not the touristy uppity neighborhoods. Interestingly I've had people tell me how much Los Angeles has changed without asking when I was las there, which is partly why I say it's perspective.
I truly think that to some extent, what we expect or predict colors what we experience.
I know I'm getting weird philosophical; seems to be a symptom of getting older.
Life in many places has been irrevocably changed due to the older generation dying off and younger generations or people with different values and traditions moving in......this has happened for millennia all across the globe.

It's expected but doesn't change the fact that regions are no longer the same as they once were....and not always for the better.....

I've even noted this in our neighborhood, as the older folk move and the younger generation moves in, there has been a discernable change in how the younger folk take care of their property.....grass is no longer cut when it needs to be, bushes are overgrown, dog droppings aren't being picked up, leaves aren't being raked.........we get flyers dropped weekly onto our driveways and there are several homes which have 3-4 weeks worth of flyers still laying in their driveways where the occupants simply drive over them instead of retrieving them.....

I can see this neighborhood being run down in the future when the lack of care for home and property maintenance drops more and more.

And this is happening everywhere.

Life in many places has been irrevocably changed due to the older generation dying off and younger generations or people with different values and traditions moving in......this has happened for millennia all across the globe.

It's expected but doesn't change the fact that regions are no longer the same as they once were....and not always for the better.....

I've even noted this in our neighborhood, as the older folk move and the younger generation moves in, there has been a discernable change in how the younger folk take care of their property.....grass is no longer cut when it needs to be, bushes are overgrown, dog droppings aren't being picked up, leaves aren't being raked.........we get flyers dropped weekly onto our driveways and there are several homes which have 3-4 weeks worth of flyers still laying in their driveways where the occupants simply drive over them instead of retrieving them.....

I can see this neighborhood being run down in the future when the lack of care for home and property maintenance drops more and more.

Why do you think that is, what is the root cause?

Maybe people are too busy, trying to put food on the table, making a living?

^^^^^
A good movie to watch is American Pastoral.

Makes one realize, at the end of the day not much has changed since before we were teenagers, to today.

Why do you think that is, what is the root cause?

Maybe people are too busy, trying to put food on the table, making a living?
^^^^^
A good movie to watch is American Pastoral.

Makes one realize, at the end of the day not much has changed since before we were teenagers, to today.
The generations coming up have more things to keep them occupied, their devices become the importance in their lives it seems....

It has nothing to do with working to put food on the table.....other generations had to do this yet were able manage a work/home balance.

I'm thinking laziness or not being able to multi-task doing manual labor tasks is the route cause.....they can have 5 things going on at the same time in their devices though....
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not much has changed? I don't know what planet this movie is portraying but it isn't earth....

A lot has changed......and the biggest one is the introduction of electronic devices/video games and the suburban change from agrarian life....

When I was kid, 60% of the kids in my school came from the rural areas, now those rural areas are all subdivisions or industrial complexes.....and the farms have all been sold off to off-shore conglomerations......

The list goes on and on.....we had respect for our elders and worked for what we got, the term "welfare" or "social assistance" was a seldom heard word although there were people who were on this, the numbers were far fewer than today....

Maybe where you grew up not much has changed but it sure did where I grew up........and I'm not alone in saying this either.

Not much has changed? I don't know what planet this movie is portraying but it isn't earth....

Maybe where you grew up not much has changed but it sure did where I grew up........and I'm not alone in saying this either.
In your scope of coverage, sure there has been tremendous change.
I was referring more to the Movie American Pastoral.

1955-1975 We were involved in the Vietnam war, youth and teenagers had many problematic issues, many mass protests.

2024, Youth and teenagers remain with many problematic issues, we still have mass protests, and we are still involved in wars offshore.

The trees still turn green in April, the politicians still have bi-partisan differences, but life goes on.

Where I grew up, the change has been much more than North America, despite the fact that when Jesus left Africa, he said “don’t do anything until I come back.”:p

Yes I’ve seen this here where I live. There are are still very nicely kept neighborhoods nearby, but the street I live on has deteriorated some. There seems to be a whole new mindset with society especially in terms of yard and house upkeep.

In your scope of coverage, sure there has been tremendous change.
I was referring more to the Movie American Pastoral.

1955-1975 We were involved in the Vietnam war, youth and teenagers had many problematic issues, many mass protests.

2024, Youth and teenagers remain with many problematic issues, we still have mass protests, and we are still involved in wars offshore.

The trees still turn green in April, the politicians still have bi-partisan differences, but life goes on.

Where I grew up, the change has been much more than North America, despite the fact that when Jesus left Africa, he said “don’t do anything until I come back.”:p
I was thinking of more of a societal change.......when I was young, Christian churches were full and people went to church, stores were closed on Sundays and there was no hunting allowed. People respected their elders and helped each other, especially the elders, I recall being farmed out by my dad to cut grass or weed gardens of some of the elderly people who lived nearby.

Canada only had a very minor part in Viet Nam other than providing safe haven for all the draft dodgers................Our last major combat involvement was in Korea although we had peacekeepers all over the globe in the "60s, '70s and '80s....some of whom were engaged in combat especially in Cyprus in the '64 and '74 Turkish invasions where they were targeted by Turkish forces.

The issues our teenage youth had in the '50s to '80s were different than those of today where drugs have very much taken the forefront....particularly nasty addictive drugs like fentanyl and opioids not to mention the marijuana of today is far more potent than that of previous decades...

Although it was very hard on society, people of those times could kind of, sort of, weather the great depression....today we are in a heavy recession and people today are not as resilient or able to be prepared to weather a depression if it came to that......society would collapse from one today.

Back