The FOOTPEG FEELERS on my 00 Hayabusa are NOT the same Length

OB_Rogue

Registered
As I was cleaning my bike yesterday, I noticed that the LEFT footpeg feeler is LONGER than the right. Both sides look identical except the left is about twice as long. Is this right????? I can't see any reason why they would not be the same length except maybe my dealer swapped it for the wrong ones during assembly.

I flipped through a bunch of old bike mags and on ONE particular Cycle World "first ride" test, wherein there's a big two-page closeup of a Hayabusa facing the left, I could see the left footpeg is indeed as long as the one on my bike. But I didn't see the right footpeg so I don't know if they were the same length on that Cycle World test bike. Can you guys with 2000 'Busa's tell me if this phenomenon is the same for your bikes??? If not, which lenth is the correct lenth for the feelers???

Thanks.

JM
00 Hayabusa in red&grey

That's the way it is, the ground clearance is different side to side... don't worry...be happy. :)

[This message has been edited by Ronny (edited 10 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ronny (edited 10 July 2000).]

I used mine as sinkers for fishin, the short one for bass and the long one for snappers.

ROGUE,

This is the way it's supposed to be.

Suzuki apparently found out that "touchdown-points" were different left and right.

As shown/mentioned in some of the official launch reports I've read back in Feb. (I think it was) 1999 in many different bike mags, some people can touchdown either the magneto cover, the sidestand or both on the LH side and this is at an angle that has nothing touching-down yet when leaned over similarly to the RH side.

When you get the optional centerstand you'll find even longer, but equal feelers with it as the centerstand supposedly becomes the first point of touchdown on both sides symmetrically.

In general, my experience is that touchdown-points also depend too much on many variables, like riding style, rider weight, tires (profile) used, tire pressures, suspension settings, suspension changes (other forks/shocks or moving forks through triple clamps), different tire sizes and maybe I'm forgetting even more.
What this means to me is that I'm not impressed by anyone claiming to drag the magneto-cover or whatever else on the Busa as there can be many reasons for that and not all of these include bragging rights.

Whew!

Thanks for the replies guys. I was beginning to think my dealer threw me a fast one.

I was checking the left side of the bike out again this morning, and indeed I could see the left hand case cover sticking out there. The different length feelers was just a big surprise because I've never seen it on any other bike in the past.

One of the reasons I wanted the 'Busa was I didn't want to give up the power of the ZX11, but I wanted a bike that handled better with lots of ground clearance. On my 11, the limiting factor in how fast I could ride it in the turns is the ground clearance. The bike's feelers would touch down way too early. The moment it does, my concentration skips. On a couple of occassions, I ran wide because my reaction was to stand the bike up to avoid grinding the feelers. By the time I sold the 11, the feelers where pretty ground out, the right was half way gone and the left had the rounded ends shaved off. I'm not bragging or anything, but the truth is, I found the limited ground clearance of the 11 annoying at the very least. I'd rather have the feelers intact and never touch down.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to test my 'Busa in the corners since I'm working all this week. Actually thinking of calling in sick this Friday....shhhhh....don't tell the boss. I'll act like I'm not feeling good Thursday first and we'll see how it goes. But this Sunday is my weekly pilgrimage to THE MOUNTAIN(Palomar Mtn.) which is gonna be a 200 mile round trip with 75% twisties of all kinds. I just hope I make it out of Ortega Highway in one piece though.

Thanks again guys. I'll post my findings on this trip on Sunday!

JM
Red/Grey 00 Hayabusa

Never touched the curb feelers in the twisties on my last bike ('97 ZX9R), but during my first track school one of the instructors waved me into the pits to tell me to slow down because I was leaving a spark trail through every corner (he was worried about me lifting the back tire)! Even after a season of roadracing an F3 and two sets of knee pucks, I still never touched my streetbike pegs down in a corner. Granted I don't ride my streetbikes at the same level I raced, but I aint no Sunday driver either.

When I got the Busa one of the first things I removed were those butt-ugly sabertooth bank indicators. I was a little paranoid first time through the twisties, because I'd heard they'll drag engine cases. But I can say that I pushed the Busa as hard as I ever did the Kawi and never touched down. I recently put the centerstand on (temporarily for maintenance) but won't get to evaluate its cornering clearance until this weekend. Oh well, sparks are cool!

[This message has been edited by BarryW. (edited 11 July 2000).]

Yeah, the feelers that come with the center stand are WAY longer than the stockers. Told me all I needed to know. The stand is still in its plastic wrap in a cupboard in the garage.

Good riders like Johnnycheese get by fine with a centerstand and apparently don't drag it, but I have had bad experiences with hard stuff touching down on other bikes, and I'll pass.

...I plan to install a set of TL1000R pegs on my next Busa....they were on order for the Black and Grey....they match the passenger pegs almost exactly...

Back