The Deer story.

I've had good luck with deer whistles on bikes and cars, which I use the few months where my daily commute occurs at night and the deer are out a lot.

Agree with the "aim for the rear...they're likely to jump forward" advice. The two times I've been in auto vs deer accidents, the deer ended up jumping into my driver's side just as I drove by.

I totally agree Lyle, that's why I said reduced speed and being constantly ready to nail the brakes are what work. But you just can't ever assume you are safely past one, just because it is staying put, sitting still watching you, as you approach.

If you have had one bolt in front of you, then you understand why the comparison with horses and cattle is irrelevant. A deer moves more like a jackrabbit, like zero to 30 in about 3 steps.

I am waiting to find out what the 01 colors will be, and if there will be any restrictions.

I like the Silver one posted in LABusas.

Joe

Another thing to think about is that the dear you see might have a friend along a few paces back. When a dear crosses in front of me I usually come to a stop and wait to see if more are coming. Around here (Upstate NY) they seem to move in groups of two or three.

FRQ FLYER... It sucks when you're surprised like that. We're glad you had armor on. It's good to hear no personal damage and that you have a new bike on order.

What color Busa did you order? Blood looks better with a fast Red Busa

Sorry to hear about your accident, and I am glad to know you came out of it ok.

What about using a deer whistle on the bike? Would that work?

Freq. Flyer, do you still have your old Busa in your posession? If so, get the brain box out of it before selling it as a salvage bike. The brain on those bikes is a big deal (I.E. pre-restriction version). Definitely keep it.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 02 June 2000).]

Hey Bear,

My dealer states: the 01 will not be restricted, although the 02 will be limited to 186mph.

I hope he is right.

Joe

I'd grab it anyway. At the very least, it never hurts to have a spare. If the salvage buyers don't notice it's gone, then so what. Like I said, that box is a big deal...if not now, then soon.

WOW, that's INCREDIBLE, Tom!!

When I hit my doe in 1984, it was the same scenario. She bolted up out of a ditch, coming from right to left. But my fork/headlight caught her waist, just behind her ribcage and in front of her hind legs. I was hard on the brakes, probably had it down to about 30 mph at impact. But my front end was gone to the left instantly. I came off the bike, landed on my right arm/shoulder/back, and scratched the upper right part of my helmet pretty good. I shredded the right shoulder of my dry rider and jacket.

Had a lot of sore muscles the next day, but no injuries. I rolled and bounced pretty well. But there was no way to ride it out once the impact happened. The deer was probably going as fast as I was when we hit. A small doe VS a GS1100, or a 150-lb. buck VS a Valkyrie, I would think that would be an even trade-off. Not so, apparently. I take my hat off to your friend. That's good riding.

I go back and forth between sport bikes and other styles. Prior to buying a Busa, I owned a Honda Valkyrie, and when three of us were coming home to Minneapolis from the Davis rally in Iowa, the guy in front of me hit a deer. The interesting story and pictures are on the following guy's site.

http://hometown.aol.com/mnvanir1/ds.htm

Tom,

I read the story, and saw the pics--amazing.
Minimal damage to the Valkyrie.

When I hit the deer, it flew 150', and the Busa flipped!! The deer was gutted. Deer parts all over the bike and even on my helmet. The impact caused the LT fork to break in two, and bent the frame where the forks connect. Also, if you look at the pics, the fairing was shattered, and the tail section had heavy gauges on both sides.

I wonder why the results are so different.

Joe

HEY JOE BEING THE OWNER OF TWO BIKES 1 GOLDWING & MY BABY BUSA YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND AT 1000 LBS. + AND BUILT LIKE A TANK WHAT KIND OF DAMAMAGE THE BIKE CAN HANNDLE. I HAVE SEEN VALK & GOLDWINGS TAKE DIRECT HIT BY CARS & STILL BE DRIVEABLE BUT NO SPORTBIKE CAN SAY THAT. THEY ARE NOT BUILD LIKE A TANK THATS WHY THEY ARE SPORT BIKES

Back