The Book of Eli ? *spoiler alert*

A Pastor friend of mine said he was blind throught the movie. Not Sure Now.........Gotta Watch it again :rulez:

In the movie, he and the girl are sitting by the campfire. He tells the story of how he got the book. The war happened and many sought shelter in bunkers and like. He emerged from his place he lived when it became safe enough to go outside. He was lead to it by an inner voice(voice of god?). He found it among the rubble. The Braille book was not his originally.

The voice acted as his guide and protector on his journey giving him Faith to go on. Hence the term "Travel by faith".

To many mundane things in the movie he did that a blind person couldn't. At least with ease. Stopped just short of the bar and perfectly placed his backpack onto it.

The blind women(who was apparent) moved with caution. Stared off as a blind person would.

However I did notice little things in the movie that might point at him being blind. Like his acute sense of smell and hearing. BUT.... Smelling her shampoo isn't really a tough one. It's easy to tell when someone just got out of the shower and such. That sent was not common for anyone at the time. To hear the mouse wasn't a big deal. There wasn't a lot of noise in that time. No trees, insects chirping,etc.. Everything was pretty much barren. If it's quiet the average person can hear simple stuff as a mouse scurrying around close to them.

But then I thought about this voice guiding him. Like when they were in the house about to start the gunfight. He spoke of him and the girl living cause the voice said so.

Movie took place 30years after the war. To survive all that time you would end up picking up a trick or two to survival.

The twist(as some think) wasn't much of a twist for me. More of a poetic justice. The blind woman summed it up with he final words.

In the interview on Youtube he briefly talks about the character's background and how he worked at "Kmart" at age 17 before the war. Making him 47 at time line in movie.

- The Book Of Eli - Denzel Washington Interview[/url]

It was a fiction movie so no real way to tell. Unless the creator told his point of view on it. I didn't bother to watch the "Extra's" on the DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you guys autistic?

1: he wore glasses to keep the sun out of his eyes. the ozone layer was destroyed in the movie, thats why its so bright.
2: in the shootout scene he ducks behind a car for cover.
3: when the girl was getting raped in the pipe, he shot the guy in his penis with a arrow from 25 feet away.
4: when he found those shoes on the dead guy, how did he know they where new and why was he showing off to himself?

watch the trailer when he looks at the girl after he smashes the guys head on the table. 1:07. lol. end of debate.
- 'The Book of Eli' Trailer 2 HD[/url]

1. Yeah, because we've never seen a blind person wear shades. That would be silly!
2. He could hear the guns being fired at him.
3. He also shot the cat with the arrow in the beginning scene. He had a very acute sense of sound.
4. I dunno, he felt them?

Next? :bowdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know....my brain hurts when I see discussions like this. If the director/producer had wished for you to draw a firm conclusion, he would have placed it in the dialogue. Instead, he wanted to leave you guessing. That's what they call a open or interpretive ending. The ending was designed to make you uncertain. So for all of you making positive conclusions.....:moon:

Personally, I feel he was blind, and being guided by God. If Earth had degenerated to a population of a few thousand, and there was one remaining Bible, don't you think God might take an interest in seeing that the man charged with its possession was a bit extraordinary? Heck, he memorized the thing! Amazing hearing and smell are insignificant when compared to MEMORIZING THE BIBLE.

Last edited:
Remember in the shootout, he never fired first, but once he was fired upon, he turned their direction and shot. The last guy sensed that and didn't shoot, thus getting to live. This is the scene that makes me think that he was blind, or at least partially.

Remember in the shootout, he never fired first, but once he was fired upon, he turned their direction and shot. The last guy sensed that and didn't shoot, thus getting to live. This is the scene that makes me think that he was blind, or at least partially.

This was the discussion My husband and I had with the video store clerk.

I said he was blind and they said he was partially blind. Either way it was a good movie.:thumbsup:

I think he was blind. If he wasn't blind then he did some dumb things. Often in the movie his actions were reactive.

I remember at one part of the movie during the shootout, he shot a sniper from the rooftop...... yeah and you're telling me he is blind? riiight

all we have to do is look it up and it says, "Eli, who is revealed to be blind..."

go to Wikipedia linky, look under "Plot" go to the 6th paragraph, last sentence

as far as the story line, most people are going to miss a lot of the points in the movie unless they have been thouroughly educated in Christianity...how does Eli find his way? Psalm 119:105 (KJV) says, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." he is carrying the last printed copy of said Word and has also internalized it as is shown when he recites the entire thing...it isn't a secret in the movie that Eli is being led and protected by God (1st sentence of the 3rd paragraph under "Plot" in Wikipedia)

he breaks bread with Solara as Jesus did with his disciples and at the end of the movie she refuses to stay in a place of safety and leaves to return home and spread the word about the message of the Book that Eli was carrying just as the disciples and apostles did

Carnegie is presented as an archetype of Satan since he is using fear, violence, or any other means necessary (including twisting the power found in the last remaining Bible as Satan attempted to do in Matthew 4:3-11) to further his own plans and gain dominance over the Earth

i could go on (and on and on) but i think you get the idea :laugh:

Last edited:
I remember at one part of the movie during the shootout, he shot a sniper from the rooftop...... yeah and you're telling me he is blind? riiight

I'm not a religious person, but why are you discounting that notion that God was guiding him? If God is his personal shepherd, there is nothing he can't do.

In a place that is so openly pro-christian, I am amazed that so many have missed the obvious religious overtones...

Eli was blind, he was a prophet, he was guided and protected by god.

moses parted the waters.....David slew the Philistine. Yet, some have a hard time thinking he could help Eli hit a man on a roof at 50 yards....?

Back