The absolute stupidity of texting while driving!!!!

The senseless deaths and major injuries will continue while ths stupidity continues. I wish the offenders would smarten up and realize ow dangerous and irresponsible this texting while driving is to themselves and others. I agree with the suggestion of having a local signal jammer while the car is in motion unless the car is equipped with a hand-free device therefore no texting possible.

Texting while driving is dangerous and is one of the leading causes of traffic injuries and deaths across the country. Some states across America are having difficulty passing a total ban on texting while driving. The rules were imposed to help make roadways safer and save lives in the process. Here is the source: Texting while driving legislation.

In summary. You can't tell anyone it's dangerous if nothing bad has happened to them from it. It doesn't apply to them.

In summary. You can't tell anyone it's dangerous if nothing bad has happened to them from it. It doesn't apply to them.

Yup - the - it will never happen to me rule applies until it does happen to them.

And usually by that time something terrible has happened that is irreversible. :banghead:

Yup - the - it will never happen to me rule applies until it does happen to them.

And usually by that time something terrible has happened that is irreversible. :banghead:

I just taught my g/f's daughter to drive. She is by and large a good kid. But the age is what the age is. She only wanted me to teach her what she knew she was going to be tested on. They actually get shown or told what to expect, which was news to me. At any rate, in addition to the basics she knew she needed to learn how to do 3 point turns and parking in an uphill and downhill configuration. Those were specific to her testing. So she actually took to driving pretty well all in all. The expected problem areas but I was patient and we worked through them. She actually was pretty good for most of the normal go down the road in good conditions driving. Not complaining at all there.

I told her she needs to learn how to parallel park and read signs and maybe run a course with cones to simulate something non standard. Why I don't need to know how to do that stuff for the test. It was futile trying to explain why it mattered.

She passed her test first time out which now makes her an expert driver. :lol:

Mom drives a standard tranny car. So of course every time the daughter wants to go anywhere, we know what vehicle she wants to use. So I have allowed her 2 uses a week of my vehicle. What started out as her saying "I don't know how people can listen to music there is so much to concentrate on" has turned into the latest episode for which I have now said my vehicle is no longer available. The latest episode was, I get in my truck, and my radio station pre-sets are off. Turns out that miss new license has now decided it is not only OK to listen to music, while driving, its OK to change the stations presets to her music rather than leave it alone and be grateful she was able to borrow a vehicle. I am CERTAIN texting isn't far behind if it hasn't already happened. These kids can't unplug from these stupid things.

So my g/f is now shopping for her daughters 1st car. She wants to get her something nice. I don't want my daughter to get stranded from a break down. I said you need to buy her a beater because it won't be 3 months before there is a wreck. Plan on this being a throw away car. Oh...my daughter won't wreck.

I hope mom is right.

I'll let you know how it goes in 4 months. But it won't be in my vehicle.

TallTom if it matters at all, I agree with you 100% that the first car should be a dependable junker.
The newer the vehicle - will also increase the insurance cost and for a 16 yo has got to be through the roof.

If she gets caught texting that in my book would be either an automatic loss of driving or only to and from school nothing else.
And that would be only if a schoolbus didn't come near the house otherwise she would be riding the bus......

Yes I'm a meanie for wanting to keep someone safe and alive.

IDK if you could get her to pledge (make her sign one) that she won't text while driving (that includes at traffic lights too) and what the agreed
punishment would be if she breaks the rule/pledge.

Good Luck. Tough place to be - not HER father but someone you care for.

Oh...my daughter won't wreck.

She could wreck even if it is not her fault - just because she doesn't have the years of experience that are needed
to not panic and AVOID an accident.

I guess if your g/f is buying the car and the insurance and gas etc. then it's out of your hands. :cheerleader:

Yep it's out of my hands. Gladly so.

Pacts contracts whatever, last about as long a tank of gas does. If mom doesn't provide transportation, daughter simply wears her down. It all sounds good, until everyone goes about getting on with life. Her daughter is a Straight A student. In accelerated studies. National Honor Role etc etc. Sounds great. And it is in the big picture a good thing. She is already setting herself up for a full ride scholarship. So that is never a bad course for a kid to take. But that comes at a cost. The part that goes with that is required community volunteer work, school function committee's, mentoring of young students, etc. All require a means to get there. If she has no car, then mom is strapped with it. Daughter knows this......and simply works the angle.

Her kid KNOWS she will get a car. Mom how do you expect me to keep up my required activities to stay on National...blah blah blah. Mom can only do so much. Kid ain't stupid.

And this will all be GREAT, until cars begets movies, which begets boys, which begets skipping class, which begets....................

Thank GOD I had a vasectomy!!!!

Parents you have my deepest respects, cuz I'd kill something if it were me......lol.

You have to be vigilant out there. I am always watching behind me in traffic to spot any dangers and distracted drivers. Always have a place to escape the person that might rear rend you.

It requires more focus but can pay off big when the car you were behind gets reared ended by the fool that was behind you. This played out for a friend of mine on a Harley a while back.

On a curvey road ( Ortega Highway, west of Lake Elsinore California ) he came around a curve and had to stop for traffic. He positioned himself close to the double yellow

centerline and waited for traffic to move while oncoming traffic passed by. As you might be expecting... he spots a car coming around the curve behind him and appears to be going to fast.

My friend splits traffic immiediatly and hears the screech of tires followed by a crash. He is now about 2 car lenths from the crash where he looks back and thinks.... glad I was ready for that!

The same freind crashed recently when some lady in a truck pulled out of a driveway and then proceeded to make an illegal left hand turn over a double yellow. He broad sided her and was knocked out.

When he came to she had moved her truck to the shoulder and was standing over him asking him if he was ok. It turns out she was going to drive off but it was near a school and kids were right on it when they heard

the crash. The kids had their cell phones out in camera mode right away before she could drive off... so... we will see how it goes. The lady is totally at fault and a motorcycle attorney is handling the case. I think

this will turn out pretty good for my friend when its all said and done.

My new F350's Sync system defaults to Do Not Disturb mode when I get in with my bluetooth phone, blocking texts and phone calls. It's awesome. You can turn it off, but the fact that it defaults to on is wonderful - I wish more cars had an active system like that.

There are cellphone jammers you can install that block a large area around the jammer, but the problem with that is you had people that were chatting who are now looking at their phone instead of the road, and the texters can still initiate texts even if they're not receiving them... I have a loud horn on my bike (screaming banshee) that I blast when I see people looking at their damned phones, followed by 2 fingers to my eyes then 2 fingers to the road. They get the message. I think.

I just wanna know how we survived before cell phones?

We survived just fine.

It's the kids that have grow up with a cell attached to them since they were 5 that can't survive without one now.

So it's the parents fault. Just because they could afford a cell phone for their kid I guess they felt they HAD to get one for them.
I think half of the kids that have cell phones don't know that they can talk on them and think they are for texting and internet use only. :banghead:

You have to be vigilant out there. I am always watching behind me in traffic to spot any dangers and distracted drivers. Always have a place to escape the person that might rear rend you.

It requires more focus but can pay off big when the car you were behind gets reared ended by the fool that was behind you. This played out for a friend of mine on a Harley a while back.

On a curvey road ( Ortega Highway, west of Lake Elsinore California ) he came around a curve and had to stop for traffic. He positioned himself close to the double yellow

centerline and waited for traffic to move while oncoming traffic passed by. As you might be expecting... he spots a car coming around the curve behind him and appears to be going to fast.

My friend splits traffic immiediatly and hears the screech of tires followed by a crash. He is now about 2 car lenths from the crash where he looks back and thinks.... glad I was ready for that!

The same freind crashed recently when some lady in a truck pulled out of a driveway and then proceeded to make an illegal left hand turn over a double yellow. He broad sided her and was knocked out.

When he came to she had moved her truck to the shoulder and was standing over him asking him if he was ok. It turns out she was going to drive off but it was near a school and kids were right on it when they heard

the crash. The kids had their cell phones out in camera mode right away before she could drive off... so... we will see how it goes. The lady is totally at fault and a motorcycle attorney is handling the case. I think

this will turn out pretty good for my friend when its all said and done.

Agreed, when your on a bike - but it doesn't work so well when in a 4 wheeled vehicle which is what I'm bound to for the next 6 months.

Agreed, when your on a bike - but it doesn't work so well when in a 4 wheeled vehicle which is what I'm bound to for the next 6 months.

Agreed... as you are well aware a slight bump in the 4 wheeler is not so serious. I slight bump on the bike could turn into a long term painful injury that last a lifetime or worse.

Agreed... as you are well aware a slight bump in the 4 wheeler is not so serious. I slight bump on the bike could turn into a long term painful injury that last a lifetime or worse.

That is for sure. ^^^

When I ride - as I approach a stop light I try to stop well behind the vehicle in front of me so that I have an out.
If I'm the first vehicle at the light then I'm looking to see if the guy behind me is going to stop and if not I'm prepared to run the light or move over.
Once I KNOW the vehicles behind me are going to stop or have stopped then I can move forward more.
It takes practice to ingrain that into my mind so that it happens at every stop.

I see a lot of people (usually younger ones) texting at stoplights. When it turns green they are not done and you can
see them continue as their wheels start moving. I try to get away form them as fast as possible but traffic doesn't
always allow that.

One advantage to lane splitting is at a traffic light you can ride right up to the front vehicle - so unless you are the first
vehicle at the light there is little chance that you would ever get rear ended at a light.

Lane splitting has been legal for a long time in CA - Can't figure out why no other states have come to realize the
benefits of this. ???

That is for sure. ^^^

When I ride - as I approach a stop light I try to stop well behind the vehicle in front of me so that I have an out.
If I'm the first vehicle at the light then I'm looking to see if the guy behind me is going to stop and if not I'm prepared to run the light or move over.
Once I KNOW the vehicles behind me are going to stop or have stopped then I can move forward more.
It takes practice to ingrain that into my mind so that it happens at every stop.

I see a lot of people (usually younger ones) texting at stoplights. When it turns green they are not done and you can
see them continue as their wheels start moving. I try to get away form them as fast as possible but traffic doesn't
always allow that.

One advantage to lane splitting is at a traffic light you can ride right up to the front vehicle - so unless you are the first
vehicle at the light there is little chance that you would ever get rear ended at a light.

Lane splitting has been legal for a long time in CA - Can't figure out why no other states have come to realize the
benefits of this. ???

I like your pro-active habits at intersections. I am always looking for space when I drive... getting away from traffic always feels better.

The lane splitting is a multi issue option. 1st of all, I don't really like to do it unless traffic is stopped, then, its great !

If everybody is creeping along then I split only when it appears traffic is consistant.

Once traffic gets up to 30 to 40 mph I blend in and stop splitting.

I only split because its better than sitting still.

I love it when the CHP or other MC Cop is splitting traffic ! I get behind him and watch all the respect he gets from the cagers as we move along through traffic.

Plenty of people will make room for you as they see you coming up the lane. I give them peace sign after I pass if its safe to do so.

Occassionally others will move over to block your path and display their dark side for whatever their reason is.

If the law were to change in your state you can bet some cagers would have a hard time accepting it.

Nobody has opened a door on purpose that I know of. I did have somebody open the door the other day and I had to brake quickly. He spit and shut the door right away.

I don't think he looked first and he ignored me when I was along side of him. I doubt it was intentional on his part.

The campaign against drinking and driving has gone on for much longer with plenty of death statistics and other tragic accidents and yet, last I heard, drinking and driving is still a thing. Why would expect texting and driving to go away? People are generally a mix of many things, including, but not limited to, selfish and stupid. As long as we have access to mobile devices and alcohol, the roads will be just as safe as they are today. :banghead:

Ride (and drive) safe out there!

I like your pro-active habits at intersections. I am always looking for space when I drive... getting away from traffic always feels better.

The lane splitting is a multi issue option. 1st of all, I don't really like to do it unless traffic is stopped, then, its great !

If everybody is creeping along then I split only when it appears traffic is consistant.

Once traffic gets up to 30 to 40 mph I blend in and stop splitting.

I only split because its better than sitting still.

I love it when the CHP or other MC Cop is splitting traffic ! I get behind him and watch all the respect he gets from the cagers as we move along through traffic.

Plenty of people will make room for you as they see you coming up the lane. I give them peace sign after I pass if its safe to do so.

Occassionally others will move over to block your path and display their dark side for whatever their reason is.

If the law were to change in your state you can bet some cagers would have a hard time accepting it.

Nobody has opened a door on purpose that I know of. I did have somebody open the door the other day and I had to brake quickly. He spit and shut the door right away.

I don't think he looked first and he ignored me when I was along side of him. I doubt it was intentional on his part.

Yes I agree some would have a hard time but it has to start sometime so I would hope that they would bite the bullet and change the law.
If the law provided that if someone opened their door on a rider it would be Attempted Murder if you lived. That might make people think twice. IDK.
Changing lanes in front of a rider would have to be a big penalty too. I'm sure there would be a learning curve. Unfortunately I don't see lane splitting
becoming legal here any time soon if ever. They did repeal the helmet law - but it doesn't effect me much as I have used a helmet for so long I don't
want to ride without one. I don't like bugs hitting my unprotected body anywhere so the ones that ride without must be tougher than me.

The fact that ONLY CA allows LS is what I don't understand.
What are the law makers in the other 49 states afraid of?

Yes I agree some would have a hard time but it has to start sometime so I would hope that they would bite the bullet and change the law.
If the law provided that if someone opened their door on a rider it would be Attempted Murder if you lived. That might make people think twice. IDK.
Changing lanes in front of a rider would have to be a big penalty too. I'm sure there would be a learning curve. Unfortunately I don't see lane splitting
becoming legal here any time soon if ever. They did repeal the helmet law - but it doesn't effect me much as I have used a helmet for so long I don't
want to ride without one. I don't like bugs hitting my unprotected body anywhere so the ones that ride without must be tougher than me.

The fact that ONLY CA allows LS is what I don't understand.
What are the law makers in the other 49 states afraid of?

As far as changing the law in your state you and thousands of other riders will have to bring forth a bill ( or the equivalent ) to ammend to the traffic law or code. This will require at least 6 months to year to make happen, perhaps longer.

Out here in socal we have a percentage of riders that won't split lanes even when traffic is stopped. They are usually on Harleys from what I have noticed and may be here from out of state and don't

realize their option to split.

Helmet laws... How foolish it is to ride in an uncontrolled environment without head protection. How these helmet optional laws get passed I have no idea. Doesn't matter to me. I only ride without a helmet when the environment is safe and the speed is slow.

Back to texting... the day is coming when the pain of getting caught will reduce texting by the general driving public. or so I would like to believe. :banghead:

As far as changing the law in your state you and thousands of other riders will have to bring forth a bill ( or the equivalent ) to ammend to the traffic law or code. This will require at least 6 months to year to make happen, perhaps longer.

Out here in socal we have a percentage of riders that won't split lanes even when traffic is stopped. They are usually on Harleys from what I have noticed and may be here from out of state and don't

realize their option to split.

Helmet laws... How foolish it is to ride in an uncontrolled environment without head protection. How these helmet optional laws get passed I have no idea. Doesn't matter to me. I only ride without a helmet when the environment is safe and the speed is slow.

Back to texting... the day is coming when the pain of getting caught will reduce texting by the general driving public. or so I would like to believe. :banghead:

I only ride without a helmet when the environment is safe and the speed is slow.

You lost me here - were you joking? Didn't know CA had no helmet law - Thought it was mandatory. ???

As far as texting - I propose that the first time caught texting is a $500 fine, Second time is 30 days no license and $1000 fine. Third time is 90 days in jail.
Causing an accident while texting, 6 months in jail. Causing death of another, 10 years jail time on first offense. etc.

I know that will take someone in the Senate or H of Reps to have a family member killed before any of the above laws go into effect.

Sad that we common people can't change laws if someone we love is killed by a texter. And why do safety laws take so long to be enacted?

Yes someone will argue that the car manufactures and/or phone makers need to create phones that won't work in motion.
However there is no problem with a passenger texting while in motion, So why are there texting accidents when there are two or more
people in the car that are over 16 yo? But there are. :banghead: And why do we need to burden the manufacturers which in the end
will raise the price of their products that we end up paying for.

I only ride without a helmet when the environment is safe and the speed is slow.

You lost me here - were you joking?

Ever been to a bike event in Fla in the heat? I'll go all day with no helmet at these. I can walk faster than I can ride at these. Otherwise we should pass laws that if you walk, you should wear a helmet. There is a point where its OK to have some common sense.

Since this a thread about texting, I won't start a convo about the idea that a Brain Bucket helmet doesn't really offer much in the way of protection. Yet it fulfills the helmet law.

Back