Texting while driving

It should be a simple common sense thing.You drive, you dont need to be texting since no text is that important to risk others lives and your own.But in this day and age no one has common sense anymore.

A new law needs to be passed

DWI= Driving While Intexticated

I would support this type of law and the associated awareness campaign and penalties. I beleive there are many reasonable people out there who text but would not if they actually thought it through. I think people would be shocked if they saw 'Mythbusters like' comparisons between an intoxicated and distracted drivers.

I also think people would think twice about pulling out a cell phone or other device if the probable penalty for a first offence was the loss of your DL for a year (as it is with DUI in my state). More teeth to the penalties would probably aslo ramp up enforcement, but there is more emphasis on speed that distracted drivers around where I normally ride.

--Sky

Don't forget we have the drinking and texting crowd too....some of us will be killed by the idiots. "what's up" ...:banghead:

[B]Massachusetts teen convicted of homicide in texting-while-driving case[/B]
A Massachusetts teen was convicted Wednesday of homicide as a result of texting while driving and will serve one year in prison.

In a landmark case for the state, Aaron Deveau, 18, was found guilty on charges of vehicular homicide, texting while driving and negligent operation of a motor vehicle in a 2011 crash that fatally injured Donald Bowley, 55, of Danville, New Hampshire, and seriously injured a passenger in Bowley's car.

"I made a mistake," Deveau said Wednesday after his mother told the district court in Haverhill, Massachusetts he would not intentionally hurt anyone. "If I could take it back, I would take it back."

It's illegal in plenty of areas but cops would much rather ticket people for driving 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit.

I'm a field tech and travel to multiple jobs sites every day. I can count at least a dozen + idiots texting on any given day...pretty easy to see from an E350 Super Duty. My favorite thing is to get in front of them and brake for every little road imperfection. No matter how many car lengths back they get, it still completely destroys their texting experience.

Not being able to make emergency calls while driving is a moot point...manufacturers can disable everything except 911. If a lockout like that ever comes to be there will be a million apps and/or mods to get around it. Worthless imo.

It would be very simple to stop the problem in a matter of months. Simply make the police and judges do their jobs and make the laws hurt bad.

1st offense: Mandatory 6 months license suspension with the exception of driving to and from work, 40 hours community service and a $1,000 fine.

2nd offense: 1 year full license suspension, 3 months jail time and a $10,000 fine.

3rd offense: 3 strikes rule?

Mandatory sentences, no lawyers negotiating, no time off for good behavior. Rules apply to everyone including all the little Britney, Amber and Ashley pincesses driving around.

I can almost guarantee that whole asinine way of communicating would be gone in 6 months.

Don't even get me started on what should happen to drunk drivers!

Back