Texting while driving

I decided to start a thread on the topic of Texting While Driving.
This careless act is increasing everyday since the smart phone was introduced.
Some are addicted to it so bad they cant lay there phone down, walking or
operating a motor vehichle. This careless and dangerous habit has taken
many inocent lives.

I see it more and more as I am riding on the way to work on the interstate
with traffic moving at 70-80 mph look over and there is a driver with there
phone in one hand looking at there phone or they are driving with there legs
so they can type with both hands.
This not only makes me nervous it makes me angry as I can spot them up ahead due to
1) They dont follow very close usually 6+ car length behind
2) Sudden swerves
3) late braking.

So I am dedicating this link for all news posts of motorcyclist being hit due to the driver
of the other vehichle was distracted by there phone. Hopefully others here will post news
links to this thread it can be sent to the proper sources to enforce strict penalities on
texting and driving just as strict and harsh as driving under the influence.

here is the first article copied and pasted..

Motorcyclist killed by texting driver remembered
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — A South Dakota motorcyclist who police say was killed by a speeding, texting driver is being mourned as a man who "brought people together."

Philip Sorensen died Thursday from injuries he suffered when he hit by a car driven by Brent O'Neal of Sioux Falls.

Police say O'Neal was driving too fast and speeding in central Sioux Falls when he hit four vehicles and a light pole. He fled on foot and was captured shortly afterward.

Friends of Sorensen held a candlelight vigil Thursday night at the intersection where Sorensen was killed.

Dave Storer was Sorensen's landlord. He says Sorensen was a guy you'd trust to take care of your home and pets. Sorensen's sister Megan says her brother was a tinkerer who could "build anything out of something."

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) -
A woman who caused a deadly crash while sending and receiving text messages on Interstate 80 was sentenced to five years in prison, the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office said Monday.

Sequoia Jones was sentenced by the Honorable Lawrence G. Brown, according to a news release. She had been previously convicted of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, and hit and run.

She was driving about 70 to 75 miles per hour in late October 2011, texting while driving, when she lost control of her car and swerved into Robert Wilson, police said.

Wilson was on his motorcycle at the time, and crashed to the ground. Then, he died after he was hit by another vehicle.

Jones, 22, tried to get away, but she was stopped by a flat tire. She abandoned the car, but California Highway Patrol officers caught up with her and made the arrest.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/Woman-Gets-5-Years-For-Deadly-Texting-Wreck

It is sad and I wish it was a way to stop it. Here it is illegal and unless you are caught in the act by the police. They need a way to stop it if the phone is moving but then the passenger will not be able to use it. Its a battle that cant be won. Its just up to people to do the right thing and not do it. We can only hope for that

They passed a no text while driving law in Alabama. In theory it sounds good. But I am curious to see hoe they manage to enforce it.

They have a no hand held cell phone law here but I have only known 2 people to get stopped in the 15 plus years it has been enforced. If they put a heavy penalty on it they might deter some.

I rode to work on Thursday, just riding with the flow of traffic, when I spotted a police car up ahead in the left lane. I figured that to be safe, I'd duck in behind him and go the same speed. Other people passed him slowly, but I didn't want to take the chance.

I thought for sure he was drunk. While I was behind him, he crossed the solid yellow line on the left (off the shoulder) twice, he crossed the dotted line to his right (between lanes) 3 times and was completely unable to maintain a steady course in his lane. Even when he wasn't crossing lines, he was all over his lane. DEFINITELY enough that if he saw anyone else doing that, he'd have probable cause for a DUI stop.

I finally decided I'd do what everyone else was doing and just pass him slowly. I signal, move over to the right (into the center lane) and start to speed up. I'd been going about 54 in a 55 for the last 3 miles just staying behind him. I figure I'll speed up to about 57-58 and get around him. Just about that time, he veers into the center lane...with no signal. Didn't see me, didn't care. I was still far enough back it wasn't a big deal. He wasn't really close to hitting me. It was just rude.

So I signal again, and move BACK to the left lane to pass. As I pass him, I see him with his wrists on the steering wheel, trying to steer, while he was texting with both hands. And it's illegal to text and drive here. :alcoholic:4

funny i just mentioned how much i really really ...really hate that in another thread. i dont get angry about much partly because I am around firearms and people with fire arms alot and partly because emotions, arguing and fighting are just not my bag. but i really have enough emotion and road rage pinned up to power a third world country from seeing people doing this. WTF cant wait at LEAST until u stop? I mean I hate it at the light too (green? no one moves)but better than moving. and we have a hands free law as well but people put it on hands free/speaker and hold it in their mf'n hand.....WTF people!!! :banghead:<--lol my first icon use but this is how i feel lol

While heading home this past Friday evening I noticed a motorcyclist texting and driving. This was at 5:30 pm when everyone is heading home for the weekend on one of the main roads here. The guy was wearing shorts and sandals with a sleeveless shirt and no helmet trying to text with one hand while trying to steer with the other ( I won't say what brand of bike it was, but it was not a sports bike and it was loud :whistle: ). We were going down a road that is lined with business's on both sides of the road with PLENTY of empty parking stalls. Evidently the message was to important to take an extra 30 seconds to pull off the road.

They ought to ban cell phones :laugh:

Or at the least manufacture some sort of cell signal blocker inside cars so phones don't work at all.
Even just talking via Bluetooth is distracting. Make it to where a cell only works outside of the vehicle? Maybe?

Or at the least manufacture some sort of cell signal blocker inside cars so phones don't work at all.
Even just talking via Bluetooth is distracting. Make it to where a cell only works outside of the vehicle? Maybe?

Not a bad suggestion but what happens when someone is unable to make an urgent/emergency call from their vehicle?

I think people need to use more common sense. Ohh wait, it appears that most people no longer have common sense.

I am appalled and disgusted that so many people whom I share the road with find this behavior acceptable:dunno:. It's rude and inconsiderate to think that this practice is within their control. I'm going to be one pissed off ghost if I get greased by some pen-de-hoe texting while driving:grim:. They can then explain to my 9 year old and wife why they selfishly took me out of their lives due to their irresponsible behavior.

Driving-While-Texting Suspected in Motorcycle Rally Crash
KILLEEN, Texas (KCEN) -- Driving while texting may be the cause of an accident that sent a motorcyclist to the hospital Sunday in Killeen.

A motorcycle rally held in Killeen Sunday brought together more than a thousand riders to kick-off May's Motorcycle Awareness Month, an event aimed at bringing together motorcyclists and drivers to "share the road."

According to Terri Benezet, the coordinator of the event, a motorcyclist was hit by the driver of a vehicle during the rally. That driver was in no way connected to the event. It's suspected that the driver of the vehicle was looking down and texting on the their phone when the accident occurred.

EMS was quickly called to the scene where the driver of the motorcycle was then taken to the hospital. He is believed to have sustained minor injuries in the crash.

Four other motorcyclists went down in the crash, but were not injured.

A new law needs to be passed

DWI= Driving While Intexticated

Penalty and fines for texting and operating a motor vehichle should be the same as if you were intoxicated... If you are involved in an accident your phone record should be pulled for any data transfer from texting or web surfing.
Done deal case dismissed.

Back