That many Army suicides?

For you that don't know this, recruiting duty is pretty much considered the WORST job in the Army - alot would rather be in combat than have to nursemaid and kissass to a bunch of teenagers to try and get them to join to make their quota. Recruiters are under enormous pressure to make 'quota' at all costs. On top of it, the are many times out in the middle of no-man's land (civilian community) and do not have to comfort and emotional support that happens on a Post. It's hard duty.
and then you get the azzhats in Berkley CA... Liberals at their best...

As sad a situation it is for anyone who commits suicide, I think you have to be a very weak person to want to do something like that.. Whether your in the military or not. Sorry

I don't think there is much the government can do really except to continue to offer theropy as si-lo some what stated. Unless of course there was no war to begin with then..

I would have to disagree with the highlighted statement. There are many reasons why people do this. If you have never been that low, then you have no Idea what goes through a persons mind. I will not get into a debate about this subject, but I will say that I disagree with your statement.

Since the end of the draft, being in the service is a job. It's a choice.
I'm hoping people consider what they are getting into, and look beyond the paycheck when they sign up...

That said, I definitely appreciate their service to our country.

most of the time it's not the job. Wifes/husbands cheating, money, etc...
I'm sure there are a few that's job related.

They just don't see a way out other than to kill themselves and they see that as an answer.

that's sad. I'm sure if they went and talked to someone they might see there situation in a different light.

you have to listen sometimes.

This statement isn't true...I've seen often times...being in the Army for 16 years..that DA..Department of the Army, Assignments Section, based on the Army NEEDS, especially because of his/her rank...that they do not have to request a recruiting assignment, simply will become DA select..meaning, a top percent reguardless of MOS, will get selected for a TDA..Temporary Duty Assignment.

Having over 10 years in, and then you re-enlist, which will put you over the hump mark, you will simply re-enlist for the "NEEDS OF THE ARMY"..

Rocky

To clarify - I was speaking in terms of the US Navy recruiting. I have no knowledge about how the Army Recruiting is done, but I do have a great deal of knowledge regarding the Navy Recruiting Process.

btw....the Army doesnt have "QUOTA's"...They have to make "MISSION"....

That is true! I always dreaded the last day of the month because it was "Mission Day". Hubby had to stay up at MEPS no matter how late it was, they had to process the recruits so that Mission could be made.

again for those of you that are interested in sociology or suicide read Emile Durkheim

and I think that 'mission' sounds alot cooler than 'quota'. i will start using the word mission more often

To clarify - I was speaking in terms of the US Navy recruiting. I have no knowledge about how the Army Recruiting is done, but I do have a great deal of knowledge regarding the Navy Recruiting Process.

Its all good, we all family, in one way or another...

Its still sickening to what recruiters have to deal with....

I have found the media so useless don't even watch it anymore, there is no info in it at all unless you looking to see the latest Hollywood gossip and the weather.

Suicide is always tragic. To think that a person feels themselves or their lives to be so worthless is heartbreaking. The desire to live is the strongest instict we have. Considering what our military personnel deal with in the best of times, I'm surprised it's not higher.

My opinion on this subject is that it's more a reflection on our society than the government. Our military personnel are not weak, but our society makes everyone think that they can expect a nice, neat world. When people get out into to the cold, cruel world they have a hard time reconciling that. What can make the world seem more cruel than being in places like the Sudan, Afgahnistan and Iraq?

I don't know that the military is doing anything differently than they've done for generations, but society is changing and not always for the better. Personally, I think they're scrambling to try to fix this but it kind of blind-sided them.

This is all just my opinion.

When people get out into to the cold, cruel world they have a hard time reconciling that. What can make the world seem more cruel than being in places like the Sudan, Afgahnistan and Iraq?

I know no one wants to debate this and thats fine but I just wanted to add something. I'm pretty sure most people know what they are getting themselves into when they sign up for this, or at least they should be. What makes those service men who take their own lives different from all the other ones who continue to live their life normally? Everyone has ways of dealing with their problems. Suicide is just a weak form of 'running away from your problems' rather than facing them and fixing them.

And yea, society is definitely changing. Thats for sure

it is sad but this is absolutely misleading... Lets look a bit deeper in to the subject (something that the press seems to skip over)

I feel awful for what those men see and have to live with forever.. To shed the proper light on this number.. This rate is phenomenally low.. But in pure liberal style, you would never know it because the "investigation" ends there...

In the USA.. in 2005, suicide rates were higher than that for men in all but about 9 states.. That puts the rate in the lowest 20%.. The highest states were at DOUBLE that rate and that is NON military..

Sensationalized reporting for sure... I wish this stuff had to be packaged with the "rest of the story" so that out active military guys did not come out looking like a bunch of mental weaklings that can not deal with it... They are tough as nails..

My hats off to them as they seem to deal with heck of a lot more than any of us ever will and they do it with honor..

the thread title and numbers are deceptively misleading

I agree with your commentary except for your use of "Mental Weakling". It is a lousy way to refer to people who chose suicide as the final solution.

I agree with your commentary except for your use of "Mental Weakling". It is a lousy way to refer to people who chose suicide as the final solution.
I was debasing the name, not using it.. sorry if it came across that I was using that term.. anyone choosing suicide is suffering terribly and it is a mental illness, not weakness..

Last edited:
I know no one wants to debate this and thats fine but I just wanted to add something. I'm pretty sure most people know what they are getting themselves into when they sign up for this, or at least they should be. What makes those service men who take their own lives different from all the other ones who continue to live their life normally? Everyone has ways of dealing with their problems. Suicide is just a weak form of 'running away from your problems' rather than facing them and fixing them.
And yea, society is definitely changing. Thats for sure

Note the bold, Italics and Underlined statement..

Are you serious?...NOTE TO EVERYONE...THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK AT KAI...LOL

I'd have to disagree....I wouldn't put it that way...Its called education..I bet, if suicide education was stressed more, and more options were more available, this kind of SH!T, "probably"...not saying it wouldn't, happen. Some people don't know how to deal with ISSUES. A problem doesn't go away...Issues, can be dealt with....

Some people can very openly talk about issues, some can't. I dont think its a sign of weakness.....It sounds like a lack of knowing how to communicate, and not running from their issues.

Yes, I deal with this alot, not me, but dealing with soldiers...I deal with it so much, I had to go to a class on Suicide Prevention, on how to detect signs of possibily Service members wanting to this....

Rocky

Yea I know I'm ignorant and I'm pretty open minded but I just have a hard time seeing it any other way. If they don't make the effort to want to help themselves because they lack communication skills, then I guess there really isn't much we can do? There are all kinds of help available. Online resources as well if they feel ashamed or embarrassed to talk about it in person or whatever their reason is. You seem to deal with this on a daily basis so I'm sure you know way more than me (whoever reads this wrong, I wasn't being sarcastic :laugh:).

Reason why I keep posting is because about 5 years ago someone we knew hung himself and it was believed to be over some issues with a girl (not 100% on this). Its sad to know that could of easily been avoided had he talked to someone or made the effort to seek help of some kind. No one saw it coming either

Back