That many Army suicides?

Very sad indeed. It's too bad our Gov. doesn't do more for the men and women it so readily throws in harms way.

it is sad but this is absolutely misleading... Lets look a bit deeper in to the subject (something that the press seems to skip over)

I feel awful for what those men see and have to live with forever.. To shed the proper light on this number.. This rate is phenomenally low.. But in pure liberal style, you would never know it because the "investigation" ends there...

In the USA.. in 2005, suicide rates were higher than that for men in all but about 9 states.. That puts the rate in the lowest 20%.. The highest states were at DOUBLE that rate and that is NON military..

Sensationalized reporting for sure... I wish this stuff had to be packaged with the "rest of the story" so that out active military guys did not come out looking like a bunch of mental weaklings that can not deal with it... They are tough as nails..

My hats off to them as they seem to deal with heck of a lot more than any of us ever will and they do it with honor..

the thread title and numbers are deceptively misleading

Last edited:
it is sad but this is absolutely misleading... Lets look a bit deeper in to the subject (something that the press seems to skip over)

I feel awful for what those men see and have to live with forever.. To shed the proper light on this number.. This rate is phenomenally low.. But in pure liberal style, you would never know it because the "investigation" ends there...

In the USA.. in 2005, suicide rates were higher than that for men in all but about 9 states.. That puts the rate in the lowest 20%.. The highest states were at DOUBLE that rate and that is NON military..

Sensationalized reporting for sure... I wish this stuff had to be packaged with the "rest of the story" so that out active military guys did not come out looking like a bunch of mental weaklings that can not deal with it... They are tough as nails..

My hats off to them as they seem to deal with heck of a lot more than any of us ever will and they do it with honor..

the thread title and numbers are deceptively misleading

+1000000...nuff said

Sad indeed. But there is one thing you can always count the media on doing and thats not give all the facts if it's gonna make the story less interesting.

The story is misleading.

I do have to say that when hubby was in the Navy on shore duty he was stationed as a processor in a Military Entrance Processing Station. He did not have to do any recruiting but saw up close what the recruiters have to do and do every day. The last day of the month is "goal day" where you have to make sure you hit the targeted numbers.

I can see where their jobs would get stressful, but they do have to request recruiting duty. I think most do it to be stationed near home but know what they are really getting in to.

we get briefings every year about this subject. It's real sad, but believe it or not it's still below the civilian community. Taking your own life has to be a tough decision. There has to be a better solution. It's sad that someone didn't see it coming and offer assistance of some sort

anyone committing suicide is very sad but it is an interesting subject to me. I could have sworn that I read that suicide rates are higher now in the military than they have been in a long time BUT i could be wrong.

I do know that 2 of the leading occupations in this country for alcoholism and suicide are healthcare and police and the military is similar.

Famous study on suicide Emile Durkheim suicide
he says suicide is caused by 'a weakening of the web of interpersonal relationships'

I find all suicides sad.
These days, news has to "sell" or it doesn't get reported.
I find that is even sadder.

anyone committing suicide is very sad but it is an interesting subject to me. I could have sworn that I read that suicide rates are higher now in the military than they have been in a long time BUT i could be wrong.

I do know that 2 of the leading occupations in this country for alcoholism and suicide are healthcare and police and the military is similar.

Famous study on suicide Emile Durkheim suicide
he says suicide is caused by 'a weakening of the web of interpersonal relationships'
no you are right, the military rates are on the rise.. but they still are way below the national averages..

It just hits a raw nerve with me when the "press" prints a story like that and it makes our men look like saps.. Then someone else reads it and passes it along without all the stuff the press omitted.. (not the fault of the guy passing the story)

no you are right, the military rates are on the rise.. but they still are way below the national averages..

It just hits a raw nerve with me when the "press" prints a story like that and it makes our men look like saps.. Then someone else reads it and passes it along without all the stuff the press omitted.. (not the fault of the guy passing the story)

What'a all this comparison crap? I posted this information because it made me sad to realize that our soldiers are killing themselves at an alarming rate, over 100 each year for five years running. I don't compare that statistic to anything in the non military community. Four recruiters in one area and 540 soldiers in total is 540 too many, period. I don't believe the article made anyone out to be "saps". News is news. It doesn't have to be assigned for an investigative piece with every possible explanation explored.
And TruWrecks, why exactly do you think your sig "says it all"? What's that supposed to mean?

What'a all this comparison crap? I posted this information because it made me sad to realize that our soldiers are killing themselves at an alarming rate, over 100 each year for five years running. I don't compare that statistic to anything in the non military community. Four recruiters in one area and 540 soldiers in total is 540 too many, period. I don't believe the article made anyone out to be "saps". News is news. It doesn't have to be assigned for an investigative piece with every possible explanation explored.
And TruWrecks, why exactly do you think your sig "says it all"? What's that supposed to mean?
oh get real.... it is tragic when ever anyone kills themselves.. it is mental illness for which there is no cure..

The sad fact is that the civilian population suffers far worse from the malady than the military and it would be my contention that they (military) are tougher people as they see a lot worse situations during war time than any civilian..

comparisons are pretty important IMHO.. it gives you an idea of the problem across the spectrum and not some isolated group of people..

Now if your post was intended to make everyone gasp at the specter of war, well i think we already are.. and it has caused what looks like about a 4% increase in the suicide rates so far but still FAR below the national average and might even warrant a look as to why it is so low for the conditions.. maybe there is something there to help the civilian population? (or is that too much a comparison?)

why does not the fact that "Average" Americans are killing themselves at far greater rates bother you?

it is an awful statistic..

Since the end of the draft, being in the service is a job. It's a choice.
I'm hoping people consider what they are getting into, and look beyond the paycheck when they sign up...

That said, I definitely appreciate their service to our country.

The story is misleading.

I can see where their jobs would get stressful, but they do have to request recruiting duty. I think most do it to be stationed near home but know what they are really getting in to.

This statement isn't true...I've seen often times...being in the Army for 16 years..that DA..Department of the Army, Assignments Section, based on the Army NEEDS, especially because of his/her rank...that they do not have to request a recruiting assignment, simply will become DA select..meaning, a top percent reguardless of MOS, will get selected for a TDA..Temporary Duty Assignment.

Having over 10 years in, and then you re-enlist, which will put you over the hump mark, you will simply re-enlist for the "NEEDS OF THE ARMY"..

Rocky

As sad a situation it is for anyone who commits suicide, I think you have to be a very weak person to want to do something like that.. Whether your in the military or not. Sorry

I don't think there is much the government can do really except to continue to offer theropy as si-lo some what stated. Unless of course there was no war to begin with then..

Last edited:
For you that don't know this, recruiting duty is pretty much considered the WORST job in the Army - alot would rather be in combat than have to nursemaid and kissass to a bunch of teenagers to try and get them to join to make their quota. Recruiters are under enormous pressure to make 'quota' at all costs. On top of it, the are many times out in the middle of no-man's land (civilian community) and do not have to comfort and emotional support that happens on a Post. It's hard duty.

Back