Testoserone! Friend or Foe?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Yesterday here in Western Washington was a beautiful blue bird day with afternoon temperatures reaching a warm 87 degrees. I had the priviledge of spending my day at Pacific Raceway with the crew of 2_Fast (Track day & School Provider).

I had spent most of my day working with paying customers in the Novis and Intermediate groups along with taking a few two up rides. As the day grew closer to it's end I took off my vest and proceeded out in the Advanced Group along with my son and a couple other Hoons whom I won't name for legal purposes since they could show up on America's Most Wanted at any time!

I had my GSXR1K shod with a fairly fresh set of Pirelli Slicks and life was good. I passed a few guys and was also passed by a few as well. We do have some very talented gents up here who have no problem engaging in order to put an amatuer like me on a street bike with blue painters tape covering the lights in his proper place :bowdown:.

Everything was going extremly well and I was laying down some impressive lap times for a guy on a bone stock Gixxer without a race plate. I had that feeling I could do no wrong. The bike was performing flawlessly as she sunk her teeth into the pavement while launching my bum out of corner after corner with authority.

I knew I had someone on my arse for two laps or so but never looked back to see who the challenger was. All I knew was I could hear the bastid and knew he was there. I have spun the rear on countless exits and felt confident I had the beast under control. As I entered turn 7 on about the 6th lap I was feeling like a 6 year old playing king of the mountain. The entry went perfect, squarely on my line while carrying all the corner entry speed I could muster with confidence. The entry all went well but the exit turned into the ride from hell.

I was at around 8-9K rpms (One of those points where 1st gear is a bit to low and 2 gear is a bit to tall) As I gave the right hand a twist I apparently gave her an 8th of an inch to much (Which is the only difference in a good corner drive and a high side) and maybe a half second to soon because without hesitation the beast spun up the rear with bad intentions and didn't step the rear out, she FLUNG the rear out so far so quickly I didn't have time to react with the throttle. All of a sudden in a fraction of a second the rear grabbed traction and came back to the opposite side with such violence that my arse was tossed off the seat and launched skyward while the beast did about a five rotation tank slapper from stop to stop. I had wheel weights on the stops which helped termendously to deminish the violence.

I had a death grip on the bars and as she shook like a hound dog shaking off fleas while my bum was pointed skyward I heard this voice mumbling in my helmet S-O-A-Biotch! I never let go of the bars as I slammed back to earth straddled across the fuel tank. The gas cap smashed the family jewels so hard I had to swallow quickly to keep from upchucking those puppies. I still had a hand full of throttle and as the beast got her bearings back it's launchinng my arse up the hill out of turn 7 like a prarrie caught mustang, I'm sitting on the tank, feet dangling still trying to swallow what ever had ben stuffed from the bottom up.

Testosterone, oh yes that wonderful chemical our body produces that makes us do stupid sh-itz still had that perposterous grip on my brain and I'm more determined than ever to keep the bloke trailing me at bay. With WOT I slide my arse back off the seat fumbling with my feet to once again find their proper spot on the pegs and tip her into turn 8 I felt the feeling of nausia grasping my stomach with the urge to barf. The family jewels had suffered a setback and the pain was becoming unbearable. I humbled myself to defeat, raised my left arm to signal to the rider behind me (Whom I'm certain was laughing has bum off) that I was exiting the track at turn 9 and made my way back to the pits.

The beast had won on this day. She waited until I was totally confident I had her firmly under control to put me back in my place where I belonged all along. Testosterone got the best of me and the big HP monster put me back in my place in a split second and only by the stroke of good luck did I manage to take both of us home unscathed. Skill had absolutely no bearing on this save, it was all sh*thouse luck.

Yes, the family jewels survived with no permanent damage (Hopefully) and I learned a really good lesson in life. Never become overconfident and always be aware that these big HP bikes have the ability to put your bum in orbit at any given moment and that moment is usually at a time when you least expect it.

Testosterone? Is it your friend or is it your foe? I say, we can't live without it but to much of it can lead to serious injury or even death!

The moral of my story is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you get ham fisted with the beast and she will intentionally whoop yore arse with authority!

Thank you Lord for bringing me safely home yet one more time! :please:

Last edited:
What a great writeup! I go for my second trip to Barber in September and I need to mark this write up as a must read prior to the event.

Wow, glad you made it though that one. Testosterone is a good thing, but anything in too large a dose is bad. I do my best to control it. Thanks for the reality check.

Wow Steve...that is some write up and for where you were at that turn even more impressive on the save. Training, training, training (and some good luck thrown in for measure).

I think we have to have testosterone to do what we do but it is the double edged sword. Will Rogers in "Lost in Space" had the robot to yell "warning warning Will Rogers, danger ahead"...testosterone causes our robot (the brain) to somehow overlook that message at the most inopportune times and to sometimes push a tad harder, faster and longer then we should. I know I am so guilty of this and my emergency room records and wife will confirm that fact. I think in your case you have a wonderful set of skills that protected you and brought you home from that moment. I know my last tank slapper crash put me in the hospital with a lot of broken parts.

Now there are only two words I can say to you right now: "Frozen Peas"

Hope the rest of the weekend is a good one!

Very nice write up! I think anything in over dosage is a bad thing. Sometimes we need to keep ourselves in check. Glad to hear this wasn't an injury thread! :thumbsup:

Now that is some good writing, I think you might have a second career as a writer! Glad it turned out "OK", but all in all I think it gave you some valuable experience and thank you for sharing it!

Please get a GoPro cam from Pashnit, go out and do it again. I want to see this.:poke:

+1000 I want to hear from the dude that was behind you! Great story SteveO and especially enjoy the embellishments. Glad it wasn't worse it would be hard for you to type with both hands in casts!

Maybe the thrill of competition got the best of you in this particular instance but without somewhat of a competitive nature your skills would have probably not have developed to the point at which they have.

Last edited:
GOOD!~, keeps us young, virile, muscular, once it starts to naturally decline all kinds of problems start in the male body

Steve
I'm glad the lord was with you. without him the outcome wouldve been different. He allows us to know when to use prudence,and warns us with mercy. We all have been there. I Know the feeling well, whether on the bike or getting caught up years ago in back road raceing with muscle cars ;in which in some cases the body shops made money off me. Every athlete and motor enthusiatist That Ive seen that was very good; Has trashed himself and some equipment to get that good. But with most men , we have that competitive edge and with me on the ball courts 2 yrs ago as a sponsored player; I took risks when up against extremely good competition. Some times we get caught up in the moment [people watching, cheering,and not wanting to lose]. You knew you had a challenger on your rear, Most of us wouldve done the same. I love the feeling of competition on the courts when I played, especially with the adrenline kicking in . The testosterone is great, but can produce rage{ but not in your case ] . The adrenline when mixed with testosterone , can be a [either good or bad outcome], but adrenline helps protect the bodyto get you out of a dangerous situation and sometimes a painkiller. I'm glad your ok and recovered out of the slide. And I too thank God for being there for all of us when we are pushing the envelope and are flying thru life [at times when we take chances ] by the seat of our pants. P.S Glad as well that the Gixxer 1K got home ok as well, Its a sick feeling when that happens. God is good to us all.

Last edited:
Well fellas, at my age these heart stopping moments could be everlasting since it may not jump start again on it's own! :whistle:

However, I disagree with those of you who may think skill was involved. Believe me, no skill involved whatsoever, it was entirely LUCK. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll take luck over skill any day of the week! :thumbsup:

I am grateful I didn't end up in the dirt. I would not have been pretty!

Big moment === and a Big Save.. Glad you came through it Ok ...Thats a memory that will last.. and to learn from...You helped me to keep it real..as the the big week is coming up soon out west..No ego's allowed and to be smooth is the answer.

Holy smoke brother!!! you are, without a doubt one of the most talented riders I've ever had the privelige to ride with.. I'll guarantee you...and everyone else reading this.. that talent most definitely had a part in your recovery.

"Ham fisted"....dang.. I believe I've been guilty of that a time or two... Makes a person think...

Glad it worked out like it did, my friend!

Great story SteveO, glad it all worked out. Testostrone has dang sure got me a couple of times on the track.

Back