Found myself on a GSXR Superbike Yesterday

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I made my first appearance of the season at our local track yesterday. We have had nothing but rain mixed with a little snow off and on all dang winter and it just doesn't want to let up now that spring has arrived on the calendar. The weather called for showers yesterday but it turned out to be a very nice spring day.

I took my brand new gixxer1k for her first taste of track time and left the OEM Street Tires (BTO15)on the beast since the track could be wet. Had a really fun day without any issues until late in the day when I had a guided missle called a pebble poke a hole in the radiator. Since there was only one track session left, I thought "Bummer" but what the heck. Easy fix and I didn't get a big leak and wash my rear tire with antifreeze. We all know the results of that issue. I'll refill her with water wetter.

So to get on with the fun part of the story, one of my friends who has a genuine GSXR1000 Superbike says "Hey, take my Gixxer out for the last session. The tire warmers are hot, loaded for bear and ready to go"! By the way, this is the very bike that holds the track records for both tracks in Wa. Knowing this thing is a killer with teeth like a lion, I said "Nah, I best stay off that thing, I'll kill myself and wad your bike"! But,,,,,,,,,, after a little coaching, I lite a fire in the beast, striped her of her tire warmers wrapped around a new set of soft pirelli slicks and was off!

I had never been in command of such a refined piece of two wheel terror so I was reluctant to twist the throttle. However, it didn't take long, maybe two laps and my confidence was reaching unbelieveable levels. I was out in the intermediate group where the fast street riders like to strut their stuff, including me
cool.gif
I found myself passing bikes like swatting flies, one after another, and it didn't seem to matter. Between corners the big Gixxer ate everything in site. If I caught a bike in a sweeper, just move to the outside (No inside corner passing in this group)and lean that heifer as far as it took and the pirelli slicks stuck like glue. Tight corners, square the corner and make the pass underneath on the exit. Performance was eye opening!

I was having an absolute blast. While that bike far exceeds my skill level and I certainly won't be setting any track records, it was a great experience. I was lucky enough to be one of the few everyday joe's that will ever throw a leg over such a refined bike. The difference in a bike you buy off the shelf and a bike like this is unbelievable. Horse Power is useless without suspension and this bike was evenly matched between the two. Ohlins on both ends with brakes made in heaven.

When I returned her to the pits, her proud owner was waiting with a rear stand (No kick stands on race bikes) and that funny grin on his face like "Well, what do you think". I said, "Where do you park this thing at night"? He said with a smile, "In my garage right next to my two pit bulls"

As I drove away from the track with my wounded gixxer in the back, I had a reality check. No matter what I do to my beloved busa she is simply no match for her nimble brethern on the twisty stuff.
sad.gif
But then, fat chicks need love too.

Life is very good!
hello.gif

congrats~!!!

so I take it you will not be "lowering" and "stretching" the gixxer?
smile.gif

And they say track days make you a street racer.... :cough: so did you get your new "parts" list?

Great story...are you calling BS on the Bens Spies GSXR ad where he says he can take the off the shelf 1K around road Atlanta within 1 sec of his race bike time
rock.gif

awesome! Sounds like a blast!
I'm still tracking my busa. lack of warmers [and balls] keeps me happily in the INT group

This thread is Totally Worthless without pics Steven.... You know better than that!
corner2.png

awesome!  Sounds like a blast!  
I'm still tracking my busa.  lack of warmers [and balls] keeps me happily in the INT group
You are having fun and that's what track days are all about.

I never use warmers on street tires. Street tires warm up so fast and have such a low operating temp, there really is no need for warmers.

Just keep hanging out at the track and you won't feel like you are getting faster, but your lap time will come down. I can remember doing 1:50 laps and asking myself how in the hell are those guys running 20 sec. a lap faster than me? I'm freakin flying! Now I go out with guys who run 1:50's and ask myself, was I ever this slow?

Just keep doing laps and you'll be runing with the fast guys before you know it.
ThumbsUp.gif

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Sorry Brendan, I never took a single photo yesterday
boohoo.gif

Awesome!

Did it have the push button shifter at the handle bar??

I'll always take my Busa to the track. All that torque at low rpm is a lot of fun that my 750 just can't match.
firedevil.gif

Wow!

What an experience.... You wrote it up well.... Thanks for sharing!

Good write up!!! You are right about the 1k vs. the busa. It is a twisty, fun, corner carver. The busa is a big girl, and her little sister knows how to dance. But, they are both fun bikes. Just best to know there limitions etc.l
bowdown.gif
cool.gif

I'd like to do a track day sometime with my busa but don't know where to start. Sounds like a blast!

Back