Temp switch info

CYCLEERIC

Biker Man
Donating Member
Registered
I remember reading somewhere about using a Honda temp switch to turn the fan on earlier for cooler running temps. Can anybody give or offer any info on this mod ? I will be doing the Muzzy fan blade and Engine Ice this week while it's apart getting some new paint .

Dont know if this will help much but here goes.

The fan switch is just an on off switch, the good book shows it comes on at about 105c and off at about 100c.
Assuming the threads were the same there really shouldn't be any reason another sensor with a different temp range shouldn't work if you realy want to change it. Remember, if you go too low all you will get is a noisy fan comming on alot more often pulling 4 amps and attempting to keep the temp lower than it will go.

I have seen lots of good reports about the Muzzy fan (not used one myself)

I have tried Engine Ice and not noticed any real improvement in cooling. It does however cost a lot more than other quality products. Not saying its bad just not any better in my opnion.

Cheers
Ross

Got this from the other forum

These are the best mods you can do to your bike to help it run cooler. I’m sure the 2 fans work very well, but with a turbo installed, I can only run 1 fan. Not enough room for 2.
I did this mod & even with a turbo, in stop & go traffic, in the S.C heat…..my needle never goes above the halfway line. It’s no secret that the stock cooling system is taxed. You’re sitting on 1.3 liters. That’s a big engine. The biggest problem I see with the stock cooling system is, when the fan kicks on, the bike is already running hot. Here’s what you do.

1. Install a Muzzy’s aluminum fan, make sure you bend all the blades evenly. Bend them so you will get maximum air pull when the fan is turning.

2. Install the Honda hp 50/50 premix coolant. It comes in little blue bottles. You will need about 3 or 4. In case you didn’t know water is the best coolant for your bike. It’s just not feasible to run straight water. But the higher water to coolant ratio you have, the easier it is for the cooling system to keep your bike cool. (DON’T RUN STRAIGHT WATER!!)

3. The most important step install a thermo switch from a Honda accord/civic. I went to a junkyard & got mine for free. You have to know what you are looking for & where to look depending on which car it is and what year it is. You have to remove the thermo switch from the pipe/radiator, when you cut the wires, make sure you leave enough room to wire it back to your bike. If you want to purchase a new one, the part # will be 37760-P00-003 or 37760-P00-004 depending on the car. This switch allows the fan to kick on before the bike starts to run hot.

People should also realize that the bike is designed to run at a predetermined temp....hence the duty of the thermostat(TS).
if the bike is not warm the TS will restrict the flow of coolant until the desired temp is reached....when the coolant exceeds the temp, the TS continues to open and allow more coolant to flow until it is at it's least restriction. Any increase in temp beyond that setting is where the fan comes in.
People looking for a "decrease" in temps with additives are going to come up empty handed. All you will accomplish is a delay in the time it takes to reach the same temps you were getting before...
By replacing the hardware (sensor and switches) you are just lowering the temperature threshold.

just called the the honda dealership the part number that Bugsy gave us is off a 97 Accord 2dr.,LX,SE,EX .New $45

don't swap it out. Contact dennis (aka motorhead) at sh.org

he makes a relocator kit that relocates the switch to the opposite side of the bike that makes the fan come on sooner because it measures the water coming out of the motor instead of out of the radiator.

Back