Temp guage going into the Red

Rumble Ripper

Registered
Hi org members:

So I am out on a day trip and my temp gauge goes into the red. Red light does not come on so I drive to nearest coffee shop and stop the engine. Gauge still in the red, and no fan running. I know with my 01 busa the fan would keep running to cool the engine down after I shut it down. Not sure if the 08 should do this. I asume it may be a blown fan fuse. Check those, all seems good. I've been stopped for over an hour, and when I turn the key gauge still goes up past the red, and still no fans!
I am going to keep the vile off for another hour and check again, if still in the red and engine does not feel to warm will try to drive her home (40 kms) and keep an eye out for the red overheating light. Any suggestions recommendations would be welcomed.

Rumble
Posted via Mobile Device

Tried disconnecting the battery, gauge still goes up into the red. Current outside temp is 25 celsius (85F). Engine feels cool now been about 2 hrs. Going to give it another half hour and them try it out.

Thanks for the input.

Rumble.
Posted via Mobile Device

However after two hours, I can put my hands on exhaust pipes and engine components, everything feels cool, yet gauge still going into red?
How long should it take for the gauge to co
e back down?

Rumble
Posted via Mobile Device

Well drove it home with no issues. No Red temp light came on but the guage was in the red zone. She is out of warrenty by about 2 months. Will have to strip everything down and troubleshot this issue. Have not done the cooling system yet on the busa so should be a learning experience! Can't ride till its looked after though. May be a week before I have time to track down the problem. Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated. Will let you know what I find. I took some nice pics of my ride today*before the trouble creeped in, will post them later when I get a chance.

Rumble

Man, Don't go into the engine. You've got a guage problem or sending unit problem.I would disconnect the sending unit and see if the needle went down.

Well let my girl "cool down" overnight.
Went out this morning and turned the key (did not start the bike), and again the Temp Gauge went up into the red. No Red light came on though.
My feeling is that the fans are working, but the bike did not reach the temp required to start them, so it is probably not a problem with the fans. Seems the problem is with the Temp sensor or the Gauge itself.
Any suggestions on how, and what to test? I have not really done anything to the cooling system since I purchased the bike, and am not that familiar with it so any guidance would be appreciated.
I was releaved to see the gauge in the red this am, as it meant that the bike probably was not overheating yesterday on my ride.

Thanks in advance.

Rumble.

PLease let us know what this was,

Temp guages are a very touchy territory on anything with an engine.

You don't want to run the riisk of cooking anything,

My concern is what kept the fan off, or was the engine actually cool enough not to need the fan.

I understand that the gauge was in the red while you were riding, but just be aware as you are troubleshooting, it is normal for it to go into the red when the key is on and the motor off.

Have You had the radiator off latley?/

if so could be a air pocket in the system..run it with the cap off and squeeze the hosses..

Start the cold engine, wait for 8-9 minutes for the fans to come on. If they do, all is good there. If they don't come on, shut it down and find the temp sensor sender, it is most likely bad. Do not let the bike idle for more than 8-9 minutes. That is enough time for the fans to start up and not do any damage if they don't run.............

Thanks for all the input everyone. Yes my gauges were reading in the red when just turning the key to on with the kickstand down. After I realized this (thanks to members advise) I started her and the gauge went back down to about normal.
I decided to take her out to see what the gauges would do (10 km drive), first little bit, no issues, but as I drove further, the gauge would occasionally rise quickly ( within 1-2 seconds) into the red area, then without warning fall back down to normal levels again.
This seemed strange. I had not run the bike too long for it to over heat, and the going back down so quickly seemed strange. Drove a bit longer and was realizing that sometimes when I accelerated the gauge would quickly rise up, and then drop down again, but not all the time???????
Got her home and parked her. Still not sure what the problem could be?
When I did my last set of mods I did the Brock clutch mod and the Factory Pro Evo star shifter mod. The last on entails removing the water pump from the left side of the bike and doing the mod and then replacing it. There is a rod there with a slot in it that must be aligned with and engine component (don't recall the name of what it engages to). Perhaps in my reassembly I may have not reinstalled this correctly? Not sure what effects this would have for sure, but would assume that it would affect the pumps ability to circulate coolant. This may be the issue and tomorrow night when I have more time, I will pull the side fairings on her and check how I reinstalled the water pump. I did not drain the coolant as the bike is just over a year old and only has 9400kms on her. I will change out the coolant this time and bleed out any possible air in the system to rule these possibilities out. Any further advise or recommendations again would be appreciated. :beerchug:

Rumble

Back