Telescopes

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
We are going to get my oldest a Telescope for Christmas and I think we have it pinned down but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. We went to a place believe it or not in Oklahoma that sells more Meade telescopes than all other dealers put together. They are called astronomics and have a website called astronomics.com I was absolutely blown away with the technology and things you can do these days.. GPS built inside the units, auto tracking, you name it.. they had some scopes there that were 20k and had to be bolted to the floor...... I never in a million years would have believed you could look and see jupiter or saturn on crisp detail for a couple thousand bucks....... AMAZING why didnt you guys tell me before
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

CAp

rock.gif

got my daughter a celestron and no complaints but it sounds nothing like what you are looking at the auto track feature is a must tho saves a lot of time following the object
smile.gif

i got a telescope for x-mass when i was about 9 or so ( it was very basic) -i messed with that thing for many years--very kewl gift, and i actually learned a few things!! great gift idea !!

I got one when I was about 10 and I passed it to my brother in law and he passed it to my nephew who still has it... I learned a lot and spent countless hours looking at the moon and planets..... The one we are getting is incredible, I still cant believe it..

Cap

I went a little over board with this one but I always wanted a good one. Meade is a very good brand. This is their LX200 12" just before they came out with the GPS model. Once you tell it where is it and show it two reference stars it will goto any star at the push of a botton. The computer controls are great. I want to get a good camera mount system for it but I have taken a few shots with my digital cam.

me.JPG

moon

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134273312 -->

HPIM0193__Medium_.JPG

the real thing is much better and now you can get really good pics and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have seen the rings of Saturn along with all its moons.

Jim that 12 is one of the ones we looked at today, the only thing they warned us about was the focus motors going to far and locking the lenses..... That device you have there is one sweet machine...... I want to get one just like that for the whole fam to use in the near future.... It has the fans on it doesnt it?

Cap

Jim that 12 is one of the ones we looked at today, the only thing they warned us about was the focus motors going to far and locking the lenses..... That device you have there is one sweet machine...... I want to get one just like that for the whole fam to use in the near future.... It has the fans on it doesnt it?

Cap
Mine does not have a fan on it. The only problems I have had is the front lens getting covered with condensation but that can be solved with a dew sheld. The other problem is that it won't fit out the door assembled. I have to break it down and take it out in two peices. Other then that I love it. They came out with more options after I got mine so I didn't have power focus I had to add that on. Other then that I believe the motors all have stops built in. This is where I got mine from. http://www.shutan.com/ I ordered from them and it shipped from Meade in CA. They had the best price at the time.

We have had scopes in the house for years now. Every so often the Family (Mom, Dad, Siblings, and neighbors) will gather in the backyard and scan the skies to the wee hours of the morning. I am really not into it, but the Wife is loves it. They scan the skies and I cook. Its a great time.

I don't know much about it but I've heard a lot of good things about Meade. I'd want to be sure I could use it to take photos, but that's just me!

--Wag--

I went a little over board with this one but I always wanted a good one.  Meade is a very good brand.  This is their LX200 12" just before they came out with the GPS model.  Once you tell it where is it and show it two reference stars it will goto any star at the push of a botton.  The computer controls are great.  I want to get a good camera mount system for it but I have taken a few shots with my digital cam.
It is a great idea for ANY aged kid...I had my first around age 10...just a few years back, my father bought me another one...came with software to help you track celestial bodies, etc...

It's not what THAT guy has (but I see something new I'd like to own...thanks jwcfbd)
biggrin.gif
Great pics, btw...

I went a little over board with this one but I always wanted a good one.  Meade is a very good brand.  This is their LX200 12" just before they came out with the GPS model.  Once you tell it where is it and show it two reference stars it will goto any star at the push of a botton.  The computer controls are great.  I want to get a good camera mount system for it but I have taken a few shots with my digital cam.
It is a great idea for ANY aged kid...I had my first around age 10...just a few years back, my father bought me another one...came with software to help you track celestial bodies, etc...

It's not what THAT guy has (but I see something new I'd like to own...thanks jwcfbd)  
biggrin.gif
 Great pics, btw...
laugh.gif
Sorry Michelle

I like that 12, nice you can see Jupiter in detail. Gotta spend a bit of money for that sort of thing. I'm very tempted to upgrade now. I can see the moon in detail, but anything else is just another dot in the sky.

Had a look at some of the pics taken from the hubble telescope, very cool.

You can take the 4.5, 8, 10, or 12 and stack the images with the software and you can get tremedous details...... We are getting Evan the 4.5 apeature to start out with and we are looking at a 16 with EVERYTHING for the whole family.

You can take the 4.5, 8, 10, or 12 and stack the images with the software and you can get tremedous details...... We are getting Evan the 4.5 apeature to start out with and we are looking at a 16 with EVERYTHING for the whole family.
If you get the 16" can I come over and play?
alien.gif
That is one sweet machine. You better get your own observatory. At almost 200lbs that thing isn't going to be easy to move around.
wink.gif

I do have the diagrams for the small sheds with removable tops that slide off..... We are looking into this pretty seriously

Back