Taping up a Busa for the track

OB_CaveDweller

Registered
I am off to the track the end of this month. Unfortunately I have to tape over all the lights and mirrors and disconnect the head and tail lights (they require this). Any advice on an easy, fast, and reversible way to do all this without screwing up my bike and paint ? (eg. pull fuse "X" and the lights go out without disabling anything else, Use 3M "X" tape cause it leaves no gum, etc.)

Thanks

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 03 March 2000).]

Definitely remove the headlight fuses so you don't bake the tape onto the light lens. I also remove the brake/tail bulbs.

Home Depot has some great colored duct tapes that stick well but come off clean. I also have some #2 spray cleaner, don't remember the brand, but also got it at Home Depot and it comes in four formulas. It takes any residual adhesive off easily and doesn't damage the plastic (at least not as long as you wipe on - wipe off and don't let it sit there.)

It takes me about a half-hour to prepare mine. I also remove the mirrors. And with red tape on a black/gray bike, it looks real sharp when I'm done.

Pretty sad when you're answering your own posts :).

So.... from the wiring diagram (E-33 Calif model), it looks like fuse 1 and 2 are a pretty easy and clean way to disable the high and low beams (no other systems affected).

Turn Signals, Brake, and Tail light not so easy though (controling fuses affects other systems). Still looking for ideas.

Anybody got any thought on tape that comes off easy and won't mess up my finish.

I would contact Black Panther, I believe he rigged his bike up with "stealth" switches which allows him to kill headlights, brake lights, signals etc. Hopefully he can help you out.

As far as friendly tape, all I can think of is maybe masking tape instead of duct tape. More so the stuff for doing trimming etc, not to sticky and not meant to stick for long. You know what I mean?
Duct tape can be hell to deal with afterwards.
Especially if you get it on your arm hair... uhh that's another thread....

[This message has been edited by BullDog (edited 06 March 2000).]

cave dweller, at the track school that I went to they put just regular duck tap over the lights and turn signals and it came off pretty easy. All I had to do was bring the bike to tech inspection and they prepped the bike. But I removed the mirriors myself to avoid any scratches. What track are you going on and how much will it cost? track school or track ride?

BullDog - Thanks for the tape suggestion. I remember the "stealth posts" but it sounded like major electrical system surgery. I was just hoping to pull one or two fuses for the day.

Tom,

DP Safety School (http://www.dpsafetyschool.com/) at Laguna Seca, California. $275.00.

I'm sure this isn't a good price if one just wants track time, but I've never ridden a track before and I wanted to learn proper lines, pack riding skills, and general rules before I ride on my own or with the experienced guys. Most of my racing knowledge comes from yahoos like my lunatic friends who think the purpose of a bike is to scare oncoming traffic.

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 06 March 2000).]

There's a number of colored duct tapes out there that will work. Be sure to pull the light fuse so the glue dosen't bake on. I learned the hard way. WD-40 works great to remove the residue. Another option is to use masking tape to cover most of the light then go over it with duct tape. Since the masking tapwe comes off easy, you'll only need to deal with the duct tape around the edges. A little more time on the front end, but much less after a long hot day at the track!

Ducmanic (www.labusas.org) ran his at Willow Springs a few weeks ago, and had pictures posted. The rules there require taping of lights also, and he had his all taped up. I'm sure he would help you out.

Vinyl tape is the best. It removes easy and doesn't dry out when sitting in the hot sun. Leaves little or no glue behind. Holds up well if the bike is droped. Masking tape may allow small parts to poke through. Up at Hallett thats all they would allow, next to duct tape. And good luck getting that off. Hope this helps. Have a great time, be safe! OKLAHOMA BOB

Back