Tank pad

muskrat

Registered
Does anyone put any sort of protective lining under their magnetic tank pad so it doesn't scuff/scratch/swirl the paint???  i know most of them have some sort of pad under but looking to see if anyone adds another thin layer of protection that still allows the magnetic properties to still be strong.

... wow, is that bad grammar
wowold.gif

I have so many layers of protectant over my tank that so far, after 2 years and 22,000+ miles using a Cortech mag mini tankbag, not the super mini but not a huge one either, and no marks or slippage at all. The trick is to keep the underside of your bag spotlessly clean of debris of any kind. I set it down on its top when not on the tank if the surface isn't spotless and check the underside everytime I reinstall it. Gotta be careful to keep the paint in good condition.

I have a really big joe rocket bag i use on trips and I usually put a big microfiber towel under the bag and on top of the tank. That seems to do just fine. Bag does not slide around at all

You can also put on some 3M clear film material in the wear spots. It won't affect the magnetic properties and is removable later on if it gets weathered.

All perfect advice, +1 on everybody's replies!

I would say that keeping the bottom of the bag, and the tank spotless are key.

I used a section of an old tee-shirt, but that got to be a PITA.

I've used a micro fiber cloth under my 03 busa for years now and it works great...just sucks when the wind takes it while I've stopped to fuel up :o)

2 years, 26k miles no problems.
nothing under the bag just keep the bag and tank clean :thumbsup:

I've never used anything under the tank bag either...5 years....31K miles & no scratches.

Back