Tank bag ?

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
Since I now wear an armored jacket while riding(thanks to the gear nazis on here) it's not as easy to get my backpack on and off. Yet I need to carry stuff to and from work. I stop and get breakfast on the way to work also. Anyway, I found this tank bag today while reading my Cycle World magazine. It's a Cortech Tri-bag. Does anyone have this one or does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternate unit. I do not want saddle bags - that would be gay. Kinda like this one but wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance.

bikebag.jpg

Here is the description:

The Cortech TriBag System is like Three Bags in One: Use separately or Zip together to form one super storage unit.
• Four external zipper pockets and one mesh pocket
• Full-size interior top flap Velcro® closure mesh pocket
• Rubberized carrying handle
• Clear-Vu snap map pocket
• Zippered expansion panel
• Tricot interior lining
• Bags easily zip together for maximum storage
• Internal side support panels carry the load of smaller top bag
• Adjustable shoulder strap
• Scotchlite® 3M reflective Tour Master logo and striping
• Top flap internal organizer pocket (TriBag Magnetic and Strap Mount Tank Bag)
• Hideaway backpack straps
• Shielded magnetic mounting system
• Two height adjustable raincover
• Use the top bag for light storage needs: 14"l x 10"w x 6"h (10 Liters)
• Use the bottom bag for large storage: 18"l x 9"w x 7.5"h (24 Liters)

I looked at the Core-tech stuff at a local store, good but $$$. I ended up getting a Nelson-Rigg tail bag for my rentech rack @ about 1/2 the price. Find a local that has a range of bags and look them over well.

that looks like a nice set up there.....i have a marsee bag that i like but they can be a bit pricey to....the cortech bag looks nicer than my marsee......your right about saddle bags, could never bring my self to saddle a bike and i dont like the way the bike handles with em...

Gay? WTF!

I have Nelson-Riggs compact sport saddlebags and I love em. They don't affect the handling of the bike at all (and I've been up over 130 with them, but not admitting it) and when I stop by McD in the morning I can throw the bag o' food in there and throw the coke in. I use my workout clothes to hold the coke upright. Fortunately McD is just down the street from the office so no major leans during food transport.

The saddlebags offer more storage than just my tankbag and I agree, getting a backpack on over an armored jacket is just plain difficult.

If I had leather saddlebags, that'd be gay. No, that'd just be stupid.

i use an icon urban tank bag and absolutely love it...works as a tank bag and as a backpack...plenty of room for a laptop and medium amount of paperwork or workout clothing (i use that to cushion the laptop)...also holds and protects your helmet when in backpack mode...biggest piece of advice-narrow down what you are looking for, then find examples to actually hold, look at, try on, etc...good luck

Thats what i use even bought the saddlebags ,.,.I've had alot of bags and in my opinion these are the best.Very versatile .No complaints here..

I have a Nelson Riggs - not sure the model name or number but it's compact until you unzip the top & sides then it almost doubles in size. I had my map in it today on a 200 mile ride. I wouldn't consider a long ride without it.

I have a Cortech TourMaster, very similar to the one in your photo but without that topmost piece. Looks like what they've done is split off the transparent map pocket - on mine there's one on both the large bag and the smaller one.

Fit and finish are excellent and the magnets (there's eight of them) hold it very firmly on the tank.

All zippers are heavy-duty and easy to open with gloves on.

Mine also came with a shoulder strap, a strap for attaching to the bike in addition to the magnets, and a waterproof cover.

Highly recommended, I think you get what you pay for, and being able to split the bag for varying luggage loads (the smaller bag can be zipped to the larger one, or directly to the base piece) is very useful.

One more thing worth mentioning about the magnets. Don't get your wallet near them or they'll wipe your credit/ATM cards. Carry those in your jacket.

Man, that looks like a big pile in front of you when you're riding. I'm not Dani Pedrosa, but I still think I might have trouble seeing over all that!
biggrin.gif

I don't know how much you have to carry to work, but if it'll fit in it I would highly recommend my Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag-see

Recon at New Enough

Comes with straps to convert to backpack, and even easier is to use the strap it comes with to sling it over your shoulder and tuck it under your arm going in to your destination.

Bag3.JPG

Since I now wear an armored jacket while riding(thanks to the gear nazis on here) it's not as easy to get my backpack on and off.  Yet I need to carry stuff to and from work.  I stop and get breakfast on the way to work also.  Anyway, I found this tank bag today while reading my Cycle World magazine.  It's a Cortech Tri-bag.  Does anyone have this one or does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternate unit.  I do not want saddle bags - that would be gay.  Kinda like this one but wanted some opinions.  Thanks in advance.
I got the same one--I love it. I use it daily. I put that tank slapper stuff on my tank so I won't get scratches. I bought the bag on e-bay--great shape and saved lots of $$.

Back