GIVI Tank Bags...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I finally got both of the GIVI (gee-vee) tank bags that I had ordered so I thought I'd post pics and initial impressions. The two bags I bought are the T409 "Tank Pocket" and the T422 Tank Bag. I was lookin' for somethin' fairly small to hold a digicam, cell phone, sun glasses, etc... on day rides and to town. My main criteria was that whatever I got could not be taller than the windscreen. I didn't want anything messin' with the air stream over the screen because I'm happy with how the wind hits me from the Double Bubble screen and didn't want anything assin' that up.

After searchin' the web the T409 and T422 were the best available options that fit my size requirements. I found a great Mom, Pop, and Son motorcycle shop in my home state and ordered them. At first I only ordered the T409 because it was the smallest. After gettin' it I decided that while it was perfect for holdin' a cell phone, sunglasses, insurance card, and other very small stuff, it would prolly be a bit pressed to hold much more. I decided to order the T422 for day trips and keep the T409 for runnin' around town and such. Both bags appear to be very well made.

The T409 is made of nylon that appears to be bonded to a foam shell that makes the bag hold it's shape. It comes with an adjustable nylon shoulder strap for carrying it when you're away from the bike. All seams are sewn well and there are no loose strings or visible stitching except for where the nylon carry handle and magnet holding rubberized bottom are sewn on. Very clean and sleek in design. In addition to being sewn on, the carry handle is also riveted on. Shouldn't have to worry about this piece ever fallin' apart. It also has a nice lookin' metal nameplate on the top with the GIVI logo on it. The zippers appear to be high quality pieces with metal teeth, not plastic. Doesn't look like any corners were cut at all in the design and manufarturing of this bag. I'm impressed!
beerchug.gif

Here's a pic of the T409...

31314871.jpg

And a few shots of it on Da' Train to give you an idea if it's size...

31314866.jpg

31314867.jpg

31314868.jpg

The T422 is just as impressive as the T409. It is a little larger and is made out of neoprene. It comes with a set of backpack style shoulder straps. I tried it on and it is very light and comfortable (empty, anyway) when worn as a backpack. It also comes with a nylon strap to use as a back-up to the rubberized magnetic mounting base. I haven't strapped it on yet, but it apparently wraps around the frame stem where the triple mounts to the bike somehow. I'll have to figure that out how to strap it on without interfering with turning lock to lock before I can comment on how that works.

The T422 seems just as well made as the T409 in that all seams are solid with no visible stitching except for the handle and mounting base, just like the T409. The only notable flaw was a loose string that was easily trimmed off, leaving it as perfect as the T409. I forgot to mention this on the T409, but the strap attachment rings are nicely done molded plastic rings with flat bases and they are riveted on. Again, very well done by GIVI.  

Another thing that came with the T422 that I thought was an excellent item was a nice nylon rain cover with an elastic band around the edge to hold it on the bag. The inside of the cover appears to be sealed with some sort of synthetic rubber coating to seal out the rain. I had worried about whether or not my camera and phone would be ok in the bag if I got caught out in the rain. I had even thought about buyin' some 3M Scotchguard and treatin' the bag. Looks like I don't have anything to worry about now as long as I carry the cover along with me.
wink.gif

Here's a pic of the T422 with the backpack straps attached...

31314869.jpg

And another showing the rubber coated mounting base and "panty liner" wings...

31314870.jpg

And a few shots of it on Da' Train to give you an idea of it's size. I'm not crazy about those wings, but they don't really look that bad. As long as they don't flap in the wind I think I can live with 'em.
wink.gif

31314872.jpg

31314873.jpg

31314875.jpg

31314876.jpg

I think the T422 will make a perfect day bag for ridin' all day. With it and the busa trunk I should be able to store most anything I'd need. The T409 will also make a good "to town and back" bag. These two bags should cover just about any storage needs I would have. The only way I see me needin' a larger bag would be for an overnight trip. Haven't made one and don't plan to in the near future so I should be set for now.
wink.gif

I haven't rode with either yet, but I got on and tucked down to see if they interfered with my riding position. Where I had the T409 sitting in the pics I couldn'y get low enough to touch it with my chin so it doesn't interfere at all. With the T422 mounted as seen in the pics I could tuck further than I ever do while riding and just touch my chin to it if I tried. In normal riding neither bag will be in the way at all.

I'll snap a pic or two of them with my stuff in 'em sometime when they're "loaded" to show what all they will hold. Aside from that, I guess that's all I have to say about my sweet little tank bags. Enjoy the pics and if you have any questions or want pics of any aspect of the bags, don't hesitate to ask.
wink.gif

BT

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Looks pretty fuggin sweet, BT. Definitely something I'll look into when I get back into riding....

Looks pretty fuggin sweet, BT. Definitely something I'll look into when I get back into riding....
Yeah, they're nice.
wink.gif
If I could only have one of the two I'd have to go with the T422 for it's extra room. The T409 is quite small. If it fit your needs though, I think it'd be as well made as anything else you could find.

that 409 sounds like it may just fit hte bill....I don't carry much when I ride anyway. I prefer to travel light....I feel more comfortable that way.

I used to use a backpack to bring my court clothes...that one worked pretty well too. The bags definitely looks sweet, bro!
beerchug.gif

Okay, BT, you know that you have to include the ordering information for those things so the rest of us can check them out! 'Da Train is still lookin' very clean after all the seat time you've been gettin' lately.

Okay, BT, you know that you have to include the ordering information for those things so the rest of us can check them out!  'Da Train is still lookin' very clean after all the seat time you've been gettin' lately.
I know that secretly, he's been staying up real late to polish the Busa 'cause he can't stand the dust!
tounge.gif

I like both bags...the smaller once certainly looks more stream-lined and suits the bike better, but for more space, I'd say that bigger bag isn't too bad at all...

I'm with BigBS...post a link or # so we can investigate further...
smile.gif

Oh, and Da' Train is filthy. Haven't washed 'er in at least two months. The pics just don't show the filth...
wink.gif

Then obviously my photo editing software isn't as good as yours or my camera isn't as good as yours because dirt is still dirt!

I see you're just hidin' the dirt! Do you have the stock seat on and not the Tobin?

I put my stockers back on since it's sitting in storage for awhile!

GIVI, GIGLI how do you pronuonce this again!

they look good but I think they look on the small side.
unless you don't intend to use them on long trips.

Awww, It's so cute! Bullet got hisself a purse! Where's the skirt sweetie?
laugh.gif

I like the midsized bag looks pretty damn cool, the itty bitty one though.... I dunno, I keep my wallet in the tail section, But I guess you could keep a Glock compact in it...
smile.gif

Bullet, same set-up I use to run around town! Also, purchased from RL..... Great people! For the long haul I use the Givi T-430 (carbon fiber look), works like a champ.

Awww, It's so cute!   Bullet got hisself a purse!   Where's the skirt sweetie?  
laugh.gif

I like the midsized bag looks pretty damn cool, the itty bitty one though....  I dunno, I keep my wallet in the tail section, But I guess you could keep a Glock compact in it...  
smile.gif
Yeah, I'll hike up my skirt so you can bite my ass, Rev.
biggrin.gif

Bullet, same set-up I use to run around town! Also, purchased from RL..... Great people! For the long haul I use the Givi T-430 (carbon fiber look), works like a champ.
I'm sure I'll go GIVI if I get a bigger bag. These two are so well made that I'd feel confident ordering their other products. And yeah, the folks at RL are great.
wink.gif

Back