Take a look at this!

Irish

Registered
So i been having this fuel issue forever! Finally took my fuel pump apart and found this thing that resembled a filter (ordered a new one). btw the little screen inside the pump was spotless?!?! This thing was so smashed it looked like it the fuel pressure tore it so it could still breathe! lol Check it out:

filter1.jpg

filter 2.jpg

filter3.jpg

You might wanna pull your injectors out and check the itty-bitty screens inside the tops of them. Pull the piece together rail off the top of the injectors and look down in the top of the injector and you will see them.

got me, all i know is a new one was $60....if anyone wants the old one, i'll sell it for $30 :rofl::rofl:

You might wanna pull your injectors out and check the itty-bitty screens inside the tops of them. Pull the piece together rail off the top of the injectors and look down in the top of the injector and you will see them.

will do

Cheap fix, and would have been cheap preventative maintenance. By the look of it, you're lucky you didn't ruin your motor by running too lean!

I see you're at the same point I was about a week ago. Funny thing is, this filter on my bike was fine (just darker), but the screen before the pump was completely clogged. Maybe if I let it go another few years, then it would look the same as yours...

214418d1300560283-how-diy-1999-2000-step-step-fuel-pump-filter-replacement-no-more-cutting-out-12.jpg

Actually denon970, i used your tutorial to get where i am :) that was a great tut man! thanks alot, i would have had alot more issue trying to do this without it.

What would that be ??
If your fuel pressure drops because of a bad filter, then your injectors will squirt less fuel. This reduces the fuel/air ratio which usually increases temperature, leading to burnt valves and melted pistons.

I'm not saying that this was the case for the original poster, just that this is a regular maintenance item and an inexpensive one at that.

Very happy to hear that OP Irish figured out the problem and was able to fix it so inexpensively. Good work! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

If your fuel pressure drops because of a bad filter, then your injectors will squirt less fuel. This reduces the fuel/air ratio which usually increases temperature, leading to burnt valves and melted pistons.

I'm not saying that this was the case for the original poster, just that this is a regular maintenance item and an inexpensive one at that.

Very happy to hear that OP Irish figured out the problem and was able to fix it so inexpensively. Good work! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

yea man, glad i didnt totally ruin my engine. could have burned it up quick.

there's a spring that keeps that filter in place...the tension must have collapsed it once the elements softened enough.

if that does have a spring whats the chances of that spring being week also???

Back