??question about a fuel filter??

cw344707

Registered
i have a 2000 and i took the pump apart and removed the screens following a mod off of the forums. this is supposed to stop the clogging. I was planning on putting an in-line filter after the tank before the pump, do i need to replace the filter inside the pump or can u run it wihtout the paper filter. also if i put the in line filter in this spot does it need to be a high pressure filter for fuel injection since it is before the fuel pump? thanks for any help, been kinda stuck thinkin about this for a couple days now and just wanna get the bike back together. (the stock filters in the pump, especially the paper one, were clogged. the paper was brown and the screens had kinda like copper flakes in them)

Replace the filter in the pump. I think you're talking about running an extra filter between the pump and fuel rail. If so, Yes it needs to be a high pressure filter. Check Schnitzracing.com.

+1 on changing the pump filter. You found copper colored residue in the screen? Check the inside of your tank for rust, especially around the inside of the filler neck.

You shouldn't need to over-complicate your fuel plumbing by adding an additional fuel filter, and as previously stated, it would have to be a high pressure unit, preferably one that could be attached to the fuel rail.

the mod i found said to take the filter and screens out of the pump and too put an inline filter between the tank and the pump? can you do this ?and in this placement would it have to be high pressure?

the mod i found said to take the filter and screens out of the pump and too put an inline filter between the tank and the pump? can you do this ?and in this placement would it have to be high pressure?
OK. Last time I changed my filter (actually its a screen) it is in the pump, which is inside the tank. Sounds like the "mod" you maybe looking at is maybe a separate fuel pump, with a tank block off Alot of drag racers will run this setup because they need lots of gas in a short time. Great for drag racing not so good for crusing around town. The reason most fuel pumps are in gas tanks is to keep them cool ie no vapor lock. Now with that said the actual inline filter between the tank and pump if there "is" away I don't no how or why one would want to do it.

i have a 2000 and these models have external fuel pumps
They must have changed it in 01, but yeah go for it. sounds from the crap you found in the screen, that double filtration (pump andhigh pressure inline) would do you good.

Replace the filter in the pump. I think you're talking about running an extra filter between the pump and fuel rail. If so, Yes it needs to be a high pressure filter. Check Schnitzracing.com.

Hey anybody wanna throw up a link or a specific part number for said filter.
I checked Schnitzracing and did not find it.

Any help would be appreciated :please:. Thanks :thumbsup:

Back